Carnival Magic question

Ariel116

I just booked my 2nd cruise with Carnival on the magic for May 21. Our previous cruise was on the Liberty in November and we had some issues that I am trying to avoid. I am kind of nervous about the Magic so here is my question. Is there a lot for kids to do on this ship or more things to do over the Liberty? We will be at sea 2 days so I want to make sure they have plenty to do and are not constantly harassing me by whining about how bored they are! We had some issues on the Liberty with the basketball court and mini golf shutting down at 5pm because of the paid restaurant and several times movies advertised as being shown were not. Overall the Liberty was not a great experience with a 10 & 11YO.

I was on the Conquest (sister to Liberty) and the Magic. The Magic had WAY more to do! You all will be thrilled!

Go here to compare the two:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/compare-cruise-ships

and here:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-magic.aspx

Gapearl posted recent funtimes here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225804

I don't know if it's your itinerary, but the open times are listed so you can get an idea. Yes, the ropes course closes early (and may not be open if too windy,) but you will be able to plan when to go to be sure not to miss them. And the waterpark is open later, as well as so many other options.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edit: Make sure you have tennis shoes for the ropes course, no sandals allowed.

Also, make sure they go to the Camp Ocean orientation on the first night as that is where the kids meet and make friends. If they don't go it will be harder to be included within the groups of friends.

Edited by minnesotamamafish

We just got off the Magic last weekend. The kids onboard seemed to be spending most of their time in Camp Ocean - I would see various groups from time to time in different venues. I think if your kids get involved, they won't be bored. But if they are bored, a little pre-cruise preparation will help: send them on a scavenger hunt all over the ship with a camera to get pictures of:

The Ship's lucky coin

Candy Fantails

A picture of themselves wearing a life vest at the Muster Station

A towel animal

A bride and groom, (BONUS if you are in the photo too)

A member of your team sleeping by the pool

Someone wearing a Dallas Cowboys t-shirt

Extra points for a photo with the captain

A picture of someone holding up the huge center light fixture in the Atrium (like the leaning tower of Pisa photos but with the light fixture.)

Picture of any cabin door decorated with Happy Birthday

Picture of any cabin door decorated with Happy Anniversary

Picture of any cabin door decorated with anything but Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary

Picture of the giant bucket dumping water on one of the team members

Picture of a team member on a water slide

Picture of the Shore Excursion Desk

Picture of a Tanzanite ring

Picture of a bottle of perfume

A picture of a pizza

a picture of someone eating soft serve ice cream

a picture of someone taking a selfie

A picture of a bartender making a frozen drink

A picture of a piece of cake

A picture of someone in your group singing Karaoke

A picture of a pastry

A picture of themselves in one of the glass elevators

A picture of a piano

Picture of games in the library and check one out and play the game until someone wins - take photo to prove it.

Picture from one of the "secret decks" at the front of the ship ( these are on 6,7,9,10 and 11)

Picture with the cruise director and get his autograph

Picture with a waiter

Picture with a cabin steward

Picture of the ship's position (it's on TV, LOL!)

Picture of the double table glider (it's outside the Red Frog on the deck)

Picture wearing a life preserver

Picture of a rabbit in a hat

Picture of the giant chess set plus play 1 game of chess

Picture of the ping pong table plus picture of them playing ping pong.

Picture with the sports director

I'm sure you can come up with tons of other ideas for the list. Then make it interesting for them by offering a monetary incentive. Winner gets $25 to play in the Arcade or something like that. This kind of game keeps them busy and happy and gives you peace!

You can also run some other contests from your deck chair such as giving each a map and having them chart the course of the ship during the cruise and identify any ships they see between 5 and 6 pm. Whoever gets it done gets $10 for the week. There are a lot of games you can play on the ship - such as them having to do laps on the promenade deck - goal is to complete 140 laps in the week - give them pedometers to wear while doing this so they can prove who walked the most. The rule is they cannot turn on or wear the pedometer until they are on the promenade deck and they have to turn it off as soon as they walk back inside. (Did I mention that this will also tire them out?)

Edited by SuiteTraveler

we just got off the Magic a week ago and my 11 had a blast! there are lots of things to do. Even on the 2 sea days we had she kept busy. She loved the water park area. I bet she went on the sides over a hundred times!

We just got off the Magic last weekend. The kids onboard seemed to be spending most of their time in Camp Ocean - I would see various groups from time to time in different venues. I think if your kids get involved, they won't be bored. But if they are bored, a little pre-cruise preparation will help: send them on a scavenger hunt all over the ship with a camera to get pictures of:

The Ship's lucky coin

Candy Fantails

A picture of themselves wearing a life vest at the Muster Station

A towel animal

A bride and groom, (BONUS if you are in the photo too)

A member of your team sleeping by the pool

Someone wearing a Dallas Cowboys t-shirt

Extra points for a photo with the captain

A picture of someone holding up the huge center light fixture in the Atrium (like the leaning tower of Pisa photos but with the light fixture.)

Picture of any cabin door decorated with Happy Birthday

Picture of any cabin door decorated with Happy Anniversary

Picture of any cabin door decorated with anything but Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary

Picture of the giant bucket dumping water on one of the team members

Picture of a team member on a water slide

Picture of the Shore Excursion Desk

Picture of a Tanzanite ring

Picture of a bottle of perfume

A picture of a pizza

a picture of someone eating soft serve ice cream

a picture of someone taking a selfie

A picture of a bartender making a frozen drink

A picture of a piece of cake

A picture of someone in your group singing Karaoke

A picture of a pastry

A picture of themselves in one of the glass elevators

A picture of a piano

Picture of games in the library and check one out and play the game until someone wins - take photo to prove it.

Picture from one of the "secret decks" at the front of the ship ( these are on 6,7,9,10 and 11)

Picture with the cruise director and get his autograph

Picture with a waiter

Picture with a cabin steward

Picture of the ship's position (it's on TV, LOL!)

Picture of the double table glider (it's outside the Red Frog on the deck)

Picture wearing a life preserver

Picture of a rabbit in a hat

Picture of the giant chess set plus play 1 game of chess

Picture of the ping pong table plus picture of them playing ping pong.

Picture with the sports director

I'm sure you can come up with tons of other ideas for the list. Then make it interesting for them by offering a monetary incentive. Winner gets $25 to play in the Arcade or something like that. This kind of game keeps them busy and happy and gives you peace!

You can also run some other contests from your deck chair such as giving each a map and having them chart the course of the ship during the cruise and identify any ships they see between 5 and 6 pm. Whoever gets it done gets $10 for the week. There are a lot of games you can play on the ship - such as them having to do laps on the promenade deck - goal is to complete 140 laps in the week - give them pedometers to wear while doing this so they can prove who walked the most. The rule is they cannot turn on or wear the pedometer until they are on the promenade deck and they have to turn it off as soon as they walk back inside. (Did I mention that this will also tire them out?)

Heck I'm almost 60 and I want to do this scavenger hunt!:p

I just booked my 2nd cruise with Carnival on the magic for May 21. Our previous cruise was on the Liberty in November and we had some issues that I am trying to avoid. I am kind of nervous about the Magic so here is my question. Is there a lot for kids to do on this ship or more things to do over the Liberty? We will be at sea 2 days so I want to make sure they have plenty to do and are not constantly harassing me by whining about how bored they are! We had some issues on the Liberty with the basketball court and mini golf shutting down at 5pm because of the paid restaurant and several times movies advertised as being shown were not. Overall the Liberty was not a great experience with a 10 & 11YO.

We are also booked on the May 21st of the Magic. My kiddos are 9 & 11. There is a page on another social media site for this sailing. ;) There are tons of kids the same age as our's. And although we haven't sailed on the Magic before, I did tons of research to make sure there was plenty for them to enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

My family is booked for the same sailing! Our kids will be 8, 11, & 15. We were on the Dream 2 years ago (same class ship) and my kids loved every second. They spent most of their time at camp carnival with their respective age groups. We had to force them to spend time with us! For next year's vacation, we gave them the option of Disney World again or another cruise and the vote was unanimous. Your kids will have a great time and probably never run out of stuff to do. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

We are also booked on the May 21st of the Magic. My kiddos are 9 & 11. There is a page on another social media site for this sailing. ;) There are tons of kids the same age as our's. And although we haven't sailed on the Magic before, I did tons of research to make sure there was plenty for them to enjoy!

I did a search the other day and couldn't find anything. Can you share the name of the group?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I did a search the other day and couldn't find anything. Can you share the name of the group?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk[

It won't allow me to type the line but if you search on F B with Carnival Magic, May 21, 2016 it should come up!

Edited by CruisingwithAutism