Martinique Ideas (March)

winesfine

I've searched the forum and haven't found too much on Martinique. We will be on the Sun Princess (Feb 26/05) and arriving in Martinique on March 4 (Saturday). The other ports we are seeing are St Vincent (only 1/2 day); Grenada (I have lots of stuff on options for this port); St Lucia; Martinique; St Thomas (Sunday). I'm not totally opposed to Princess excursions, but often find them overprice and overcrowded. We enjoy light hiking and 4x4s, snorkeling. I'm the only one who likes to lie in the sun so "tanning on the beach" isn't really an option <sigh>. I'll use my at sea days for lazing in the sun.

I've always used this forum for ideas and suggestions and haven't been let down yet.

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful ideas for port excursions.

I've also put my name in on the roll call for this cruise, but doesn't seem to be too many out there on CC that are on board even tho the ship seems to be booked.

I have been to Martinique twice. I HIGHLY recommend taking a taxi tour that includes:

Route de la Trace - gorgeous highway through the rainforest

St Pierre - the town that was destroyed by the volcano

return via the coastal highway - nice views

Maybe a stop at the butterfly farm or the rum distillery

Fort de France (the port the ship docks at) is pretty much a large uninteresting modern city but the countryside in Martinique is mountaneous, lush and tropical.

Taxis can be VERY expensive but if there are enough of you to split the cost of a mini-van a 3-4 hour tour will be reasonable.

Whatever you do - don't just stay in Fort de France.

Archived