AMA Waterways/Viking River Cruises - What's the Difference?

SailingSiggy

Fran -- how well do private transfers work with the (apparently) increasingly variable docking locations? I figure the cruise line transfer has to know where the ship actually is, but how do the private drivers know?

On my recent river cruise, in advance AMA provided specific maps of where we would be docking at the beginning and end of the cruise. At the end of the cruise, the cruise director coordinated even with privately booked transportation to make sure they all knew where we were docked, as it wasn't the typical dock.

...Seems to me that today TAs are more a booking agent rather than a travel agent...
The last time we talked to Viking, the agent finally said "You know about this than anybody in this office- do you want a job?" And the cruise line agents know more than most TAs who are likely to have never seen a river boat. Not all info here on Cruise Critic is accurate, but if not accurate is usually quickly corrected by someone else (and the River Cruising board seems a lot politer than some of the other CC boards:)). IMO asking questions here is the way to go (and then you'll know more than your TA about anything other than will they give you a discount or OBC).

Thom

On my recent river cruise, in advance AMA provided specific maps of where we would be docking at the beginning and end of the cruise. At the end of the cruise, the cruise director coordinated even with privately booked transportation to make sure they all knew where we were docked, as it wasn't the typical dock.

In November our embarkation CITY changed 48 hours prior to travel due to high water so maps sent in advance did not apply.

AMA got in touch with us on my cell (we were in Europe) to keep us updated and we got to the right city to board.

Moral of the story is to always have a way to be contacted if you are doing any travel DIY.

My DH and I have cruised on both Viking and AMA, as well as Avalon in Europe. I'll rank by categories as different things are important to different people.

Payment schedule: Tied = AMA and Avalon (90 days out) 3) Viking - total payment upfront

Customer Service Prior = 1) AMA, 2) Viking, 3) Avalon

Air Arrangements (I always book by own.)

Cabins = 1) Avalon (floor to ceiling sliding glass doors are amazing), 2) Viking, 3) AMA (This is very different, depending on how new the ships are. We were on an older AMA ship.)

Food and Wine = (Very subjective) = 1) Avalon, 2) AMA, 3) Viking

Mobility of Passengers = 1) AMA, 2) Avalon, 3) Viking. On our AMA and Avalon cruises there were exercise rooms, and AMA had bike tours. I asked a Viking representative why they didn't put an exercise room in their new longships and the reply was "that is not our demographic".

Cruise Director = 1) AMA, 2) Avalon, 3) Viking. (Luck of the draw.)

Staff and Service = 1) Avalon, 2) AMA, 3) Viking

Excursions = 1) AMA, 2) Avalon, 3) Viking. On our AMA there was at least an attempt at slow and active walkers groups.

Hope this helps. If we take another river cruise in Europe I would look at AMA or Avalon and decide based on ports of call, travel dates, ship etc.

I am actually planning ahead for a 2017 cruise and just trying to get some decision points so I can be ready, or close to ready, once the 2017 schedules come out. I need to go over some time in the next week or so and sit down with my TA and go over all of this to see what info she can provide. Seems to me that today TAs are more a booking agent rather than a travel agent. And, for the major cruise lines, that is pretty much what I use them for as I have done almost 40 voyages on cruise ships so I know what I want there. That's why I'm looking at 2017 for my river cruise as I already have 2016 filled with the major cruise lines and need to decide if I'm doing a river cruise before the cruise lines remaining 2017 schedules come out and I book myself full.

Hi, SS,

I, too, have been on > 40 ocean cruises and taking my first river cruise in November on the Viking Var for 7 days (Rhine), doing 3 days pre-cruise in Prague and 2 days post in Koln with Viking. The Viking Air was a good deal so we took it and able to choose our itinerary, airline, and seats for $50 each.

I think that you should consult with your T.A.; however, with your travel experience, I would book directly with the cruise line (unless the T.A. can give you a big discount and/or on-board credit) because you will have good results calling the Viking Agents directly.