RCCL Visa Rewards Question

kyriecat

If you use your RCCL Visa credit card to pay yor tips, do you get the bonus rewards points for that amount? Discover card sometimes has promotions where they give you extra cashback rewards if you use your card at certain restaurants, but if you read the fine print, it says extra points are only given on the base food amount not taxes or tips. I was just wondering if Visa does this too. Purchases in the gift shop, bars, etc would count for double points, but tips only count for single points.

BTW, whether I get the bonus rewards or not has absolutely no bearing on the amount I will tip. We always put the recommended tips on our seapass (linked to the Visa) then add cash depending on the level of service we received. If tips count towards the RCCL purchases bonus rewards, it just means a little extra onboard credit for the next cruise.

Be sure to check your card after you return. The last 2 times I used my Visa, they were listed under the ship's name, Navigator of the Seas, and Empress of the Seas, rather than Royal Caribbean,and I had to call MBNA to get the double points. I always do my tips on the sea pass just for this reason, to get the double points. If I get great service, the extra's are given in cash directly to the waiter/room steward, or whomever.

Archived