Carnival Pride

LaurieCM

Hi! Leaving on the Carnival Pride in a few weeks. Any new tricks to getting the most fun for our time and money? When we were on Princess recently they started having happy hour twice a day in certain bars- 2 for one on drinks and cans of soft drinks (it was nice to get some cokes and fill up our frig in the cabin). Any thing that I should know about on the Pride?

Hi! Leaving on the Carnival Pride in a few weeks. Any new tricks to getting the most fun for our time and money? When we were on Princess recently they started having happy hour twice a day in certain bars- 2 for one on drinks and cans of soft drinks (it was nice to get some cokes and fill up our frig in the cabin). Any thing that I should know about on the Pride?

In my experience, there are rarely specials (if at all) offering full cans of soda and infrequent drink specials (other than the "drink of the day"). Cheers! and the Bottomless Bubbles programs have made "specials" a thing of the past.

You didn't mention what class ship you sailed with Princess so it's difficult to offer insight into how you will receive the Pride. I find it to be the perfect size ship for my cruising tastes - not huge, not small. The amenities are varied enough for me but could be considered limited to others.

There are no climbing walls, zip lines, Flo-rider, ice skating rink, etc. as with the mega-ships. Some of the pluses I found:

1. Serenity - an adults only area that is by and large a peaceful and quiet place to relax, sun and enjoy the ocean.

2. Punchliners. The comedy club where even bad comedy is good comedy.

3. The buffet. Food is entirely subjective but I always found something to eat that was tasty and filling.

4. David's Steakhouse. A truly exceptional meal in a slightly more upscale setting (at an additional charge of $35 per person).

All in all the Pride is a great ship with a healthy "party atmosphere" that isn't out of control and a wide variety of activities (some a little pedestrian, but hey - it's a cruise!).

(Side note - I'm originally from the Youngstown area - Go Penguins!)

If you want some cokes for your fridge, you can pre-order via the fun shops. They have 6 cans for $10 (which is a little cheaper than the $2 each onboard).

There are a lot of casual eateries on the Pride for lunch - Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana tacos and burritos, Deli, Pirate Pizza, Chopsticks (Chinese food). It gives an awesome lunch selection.

There is a coffee bar at the back of the buffet area near the aft elevators and another one on 2 forward near the show lounge. The one in the buffet is more convenient for a morning latte with breakfast but we found the actual lattes better from the one on 2.

Dive in movies are great. If you like buttery popcorn, bring a popcorn salt from home because the popcorn is served plain. If it's cool, grab a blanket or towel from near the bars behind the pool (will need your card to get one but there's no charge as long as you return it).

Each bar has a different Drink of the Day special (Red Frog, Blue Iguana, EA) or $1 off (Alchemy). I didn't see any deals s good as 2 for 1 though.

The coffee bar drinks are good but they cost $$. They also rotate special prices for the spiked coffees.

No need to spend money on the added cost room service dishes as we found the BLT and chocolate cake yummy and free!

Don't purchase any spa services in advance as so many are run as specials throughout the week.