Kids Club Question

tbrenk

We are trying to plan a cruise with friends of ours. At the time of the cruise, my son will be 5 1/2 and our friends son will be 6 and their daughter will be 8.

I have notced that most kids clubs are for ages 3-5 and then 6-8. Would they allow my son into the 6-8 so he could be with his friends?

I just returned from the Voyager on 9/4, my son had turned 12 a couple of weeks prior. He wanted to be with some friends he met in the 9-11 group, plus he wanted the more active group rather than the dancing group. I asked the counsellors, they simply had me sign a page, and he was in. The only big difference was that he had to wear the muster station bracelet which identified him as under 12, which for me was reassuring. This was on a cruise with approx 1000 children. I firmly believe that they will bend to accomodate when possible and appropriate.

Bob

I think it depends also on how crowded the clubs are on that cruise. If there are not alot of kids I think it is easier to move them around. We were on over spring break and they were very strict about making sure you were in w/ your age group. No changes.

Both occasions stated had the kids two weeks away from the age group in question. tbrenk, your son is 6 months away. It does not hurt to give it a shot but just know it may not happen.

Good point. Do they know in the club the children's exact age?

THe kids clubs start at age 3, is that right? What are your options with a 2 year old? Are there any activities for them, or are they stuck with mom and dad the whole time?

There are "mommy & me" style sessions for infants and toddlers, but you have to attend with your child. There is also babysitting available for a reasonable fee, so you can go have some child-free fun.

Barb

We are trying to plan a cruise with friends of ours. At the time of the cruise, my son will be 5 1/2 and our friends son will be 6 and their daughter will be 8.

I have notced that most kids clubs are for ages 3-5 and then 6-8. Would they allow my son into the 6-8 so he could be with his friends?

We were on the Naviagator in 2004. DD was 3 months shy of turning 6 but wanted to be with DS who was 7. After a day of the counsellors "observing" her, she was allowed into the 6-8 range group. For some of the activities, DD stayed with the 3-5 group, for other activities, she joined her brother. On the Navigator, the whole children's area is a large room and the areas for the different age groups were just roped off so the kids could still see each other. Your son will probably be fine with his friends, but how he does in the older group will also be determined by the personalities and ages of other children who may be in the 6-8 group. There can be quite a difference between a 5 1/2 year old and a bunch of perhaps physically bigger, more active 8 1/2 almost 9 year olds. Hope that helps.

They should know the ages since you give that information on your documents.

On our Celebrity cruise my 9 year old son was with 5 year olds and my 11 year old was with 17 year olds. Of course, there were only about 30 + kids on board.

When are you cruising?

Does that type of mixing happening often? We're cruising RCCL and I would have a HUGE issue if my 10 year olds wanted to enjoy some time in Adventure Ocean and were lumped in with 16-17 year olds. That's not an appropriate mix.

That was probably because there was such a small number of kids on the Celebrity cruise. RCI has revamped it's teen clubs..used to have 13-17 yr olds together..they now have 2 groups 12-14 and 15-17. They were very strict on our cruise. Evidently on their seapass there is a way to tell which group they belong to..So if they tried to go into the activites for the others they were told they could not enter. There is a big difference between 12 and 17. Glad they have them split.

Does that type of mixing happening often? We're cruising RCCL and I would have a HUGE issue if my 10 year olds wanted to enjoy some time in Adventure Ocean and were lumped in with 16-17 year olds. That's not an appropriate mix.

It does not happen often, I was on a Bermuda cruise in May on the Horizon. Small ship, early in the season, and not a hot family destination.

They should know the ages since you give that information on your documents.

On our Celebrity cruise my 9 year old son was with 5 year olds and my 11 year old was with 17 year olds. Of course, there were only about 30 + kids on board.

When are you cruising?

We are looking at July

Archived