Rock Climbing Wall on Radiance - How does it work?

dnmc

Had a blast climbing a couple weeks ago on the Freedom.

I was allowed to use my own shoes and chalk bag, but not harness, confirming what many on the forum speculated. The helmet was required too, unfortunately.

Brief background: Been climbing for about 12 years. Best outdoor lead was a 12c, and best consistent bouldering ~V6. So not super hard, but a little better than just an athletic person who's never climbed before.

There were 5 auto belay sections, each with 3 colored routes. In my estimation, each section had a route in the 5.5 - 5.6 range, one that was 5.7 - 5.8, and one that was 5.9 - 5.10b. There was one route that was probably in the 10d - 11a range. Another route had about a 5' dyno that was really fun.

The middle portion sticking out from the main wall was also doable with features only, which was fun. I hesitate to rate it though since there wasn't much variability in the holds. Just sloper to sloper to another sloper... If you're good with slopers, it'll be a fun. If not, keep trying!

The staff didn't have a problem with me lapping. I was surprised they let me, even with people in line. I just monitored myself and didn't do more than 4 if people were in line.

The speed comp at the end of the week was fun. Had about 20 climbers with times ranging from 15 seconds to about 90 seconds. The staff mentioned the boat record (as far as they knew) was just under 13 seconds.

Hope this helps!

Had a blast climbing a couple weeks ago on the Freedom.

I was allowed to use my own shoes and chalk bag, but not harness, confirming what many on the forum speculated. The helmet was required too, unfortunately.

Brief background: Been climbing for about 12 years. Best outdoor lead was a 12c, and best consistent bouldering ~V6. So not super hard, but a little better than just an athletic person who's never climbed before.

There were 5 auto belay sections, each with 3 colored routes. In my estimation, each section had a route in the 5.5 - 5.6 range, one that was 5.7 - 5.8, and one that was 5.9 - 5.10b. There was one route that was probably in the 10d - 11a range. Another route had about a 5' dyno that was really fun.

The middle portion sticking out from the main wall was also doable with features only, which was fun. I hesitate to rate it though since there wasn't much variability in the holds. Just sloper to sloper to another sloper... If you're good with slopers, it'll be a fun. If not, keep trying!

The staff didn't have a problem with me lapping. I was surprised they let me, even with people in line. I just monitored myself and didn't do more than 4 if people were in line.

The speed comp at the end of the week was fun. Had about 20 climbers with times ranging from 15 seconds to about 90 seconds. The staff mentioned the boat record (as far as they knew) was just under 13 seconds.

Hope this helps!

Great info!