Visa Fees

zorro

We're booked on the Nautica (Hong-Kong to Athens) Mar 31, 2006.

I have just gotten a letter that Oceania Cruises has arranged for a service that can supply the visas (India,Vietnam,Oman,Egypt,Jordan) for $549.

The actual cost of the visas is $190.50 if I were to do it myself.

Does anyone know of a service that is inexpensive. This seems so excessive i.e almost 300% markup.

Some companies charge $45 per visa and will charge less for a group.

Hello Zorro:

I think you will find that the Oceania/Zierer visa charge for your cruise will be

lowered by $100 soon. We are booked on the 11/28/2005 Athens to Singapore and we have all been informed that we no longer need a visa for Oman and our Oceania/Zierer visa charge was lowered by $100 to $249 - we do not need visas for Jordan and Vietnam. We are getting our own visas. We have already got our India visa - no problem - and will apply for Egypt at the begining of October as it is only valid for three months. Both are easy to research online.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info on Oman (no more visa). I guess we'll try to get our own visas.

Normally we think "what the heck" but the differential is about $800.

Someone also told me that you can get a visa for Jordan when you dock but I still have to verify that.

Thanks again!

Zorro

We just received our Egyptian Visa's that we are using for a land trip in Nov.

The visa's only took seven days from our mailing to the return.

The visa states "valid for six months". Cost $15 plus certified mail

postage. Downloaded app. from internet.

John

"Clipper cruises, the Clipper Odyssey, does not charge for Visas. They go many of the same places......food for thought."

I assume it is built into the price somehow. They are not going to absorb the cost themselves.

I'm really getting concerned about Oceania's misinformation! My very experienced TA contacted Oceania a couple of days ago to inquire about visa requirements for our upcoming Insignia Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise. He was told by an Oceania rep that Visas are required for both Argentina and Chile -- NOT SO! Argentina allows entry for 90 days without a visa; Chile charges a $100 (cash only) embarkation fee (NOT a visa) when arriving at a Chilean airport - this fee is good for life, and the receipt is stapled to the passport.

It seems like every day we receive bul**hit info from Oceania, and I wonder if anyone is "minding the store" and reviewing the misinformation or lack of response that seems to be the norm. We've only been on one Oceania cruise, which we enjoyed immenseley, but with the plethora of negative experiences with staff responses that are prevalent on Cruise Critic, I'm starting to re-think future cruises.

Mike

My information is that this Chilean "fee" (the receipt for which is stapled inside your passport) is not good for life - but is good for the duration of the passport. Therefore, if your passport is brand new, it's good for 10 years. If you have a year left, it's good for the year. We have one from 2003 but have gotten new passports since then. I DID save the receipt, just in case, but I really do believe it's just the life of the passport it was stapled into. If anyone finds out that it is for LIFE, please post! I also believe that it only applies when you fly into Chile but I'm not totally sure about that (meaning if you disembark in Chile and even if you stay in Chile afterwards, you don't have to pay). Also, the "fee" is different for Canadians.

I think all cruise lines put in the fine print that they are not responsible for passport/visa information and that it's your responsibility. I would never trust any cruise line to tell me what I need to get into or out of the country (this one in particular, frankly) and I would not trust a message board either! I'm including my own information with that statement too, so no offense to anyone!:D

"Chile charges a $100 (cash only) embarkation fee (NOT a visa) when arriving at a Chilean airport - this fee is good for life, and the receipt is stapled to the passport."

Last December they were also accepting credit cards. I paid with five 20 dollar bills, none of which was new, by the way. I understand they charge US citizens $100. because that's what we charge their citizens to enter the US. They charge the same amount to citizens of other countries equal to what they charge Chileans. Seems fair to me.

I'm not questioning the "fairness" of the Chilean policy; I do, however, expect my chosen cruise line's customer service personnel to be up to speed with visa requirements for the various ports to which they sail. To me, this is basic customer service. To be told "visas are required for entry into Argentina and Chile" by a customer service rep on Oceania's payroll is inexcusable IMHO.

Mike

Since I have been to Chile a few times, let me add, you pay that at the airport when you enter or leave. It has to be $100 CASH. They do not take any other form of payment. You do not get a visa in advance.

Argentina has no charges.

Ecuador charges you to leave the country.......it was $25..........

CHILE - *Passport required. Visa not required for stay of up to 90 days. Entry fee of $100 (U.S.) charged at airport. Exit Requirement: Dependent children under age 18 (including the children of divorced parents) who are traveling alone, with one parent, or in someone else's custody, must present a notarized document certifying that both parents agree to their travel before the child will be allowed to exit Chile. This document must be notarized before a Chilean consular officer in the United States. For further information, consult the Embassy of Chile, 1732 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20036 (202/530-4106) or nearest Consulate General: CA (323/933-3697 and 415/982-7662), FL (305/373-8623), IL (312/654-8780), PA (215/829-9520), NY (212/980-3366), TX (713/621-5853) or PR (787/725-6365).

ARGENTINA - *Passport required. Visa not required for business/tourist stay of up to 90 days. For information concerning longer stays, employment, or other types of visas contact the Consular Section of the Argentine Embassy, 1811 Q St., NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202/238-6460) or the nearest Consulate: CA (213/954-9155), FL (305/373-1889), GA (404/880-0805, IL (312/819-2610), NY (212/603-0400) or TX (713/871-8935). Internet: http://www.embassyofargentina-usa.org

Hope this helps http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html#a

Mikiew - are you sure, though, about the part that you have to pay $100 to leave Chile, say, if you disembark a ship you boarded in another country and go to the airport, or even if you stay a few days? That wasn't my understanding (though I could be wrong). Also, I believe some recent posters have indicated that credit cards are being accepted now for the $100. I had accessed the information you posted and neither of those issues is very clear, are they?

I can vouch that a year ago we flew into & out of Argentina after an Antarctic cruise and had no visa. I believe there is an exit fee there, however, payable at the airport. It's less than $100 but I cannot remember the exact amount. I believe it was payable in Argentine currency or US$.

So - it's my understanding that there is an entrance fee into Chile, but no exit fee, and an exit fee from Argentina, but no entrance fee! :D

Actually, being a pack rat pays off! I had my Antarctic photo albums nearby & in it is the receipt for the fee paid at the Buenos Aires international airport when we flew back to the US. In November 2004, it was 53.01 pesos/person, or 106.02 pesos for the two of us. I'm guessing we were allowed to pay it in US$ because it says (in Spanish) "amount paid" and next to it is "36.00 dolares."

Possibly this fee has been eliminated in the last year and hence Mikew's statement that there is no charge to leave Argentina - but as we know, fees like this are rarely eliminated!:D

Hi. You pay the $100 if you come in to Chile, or leave. We have done both, and you have to show them that visa. Last time we arrived by ship, left by air and went to Ecuador. They sure wanted to see that piece of paper. Also, it is good for the life of your passport. Also, allow plenty of time in the Santiago airport if you are leaving. It is very disorganized, and people like to cut in line. Being nice, I let a couple go ahead....they said they were going to miss their plane....turns out they were on the same one we were. LOL

Have never paid to leave Argentina, but things do chage.

It's interesting, then, that people have mentioned choosing the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso version of South American cruises (versus the other way around) to avoid the $100 per person fee. They are under the impression that there is no exit fee, only an entrance fee to fly into the airport. I guess it's worth further research!

Trece,

I think the way it works is you pay that when you enter Chile, if you arrive by ship, the cruiseline is not going to collect it, so you have to pay it when you leave. I know there were people that did not believe us, but they did find out.

This was really not my understanding but as I only flew into Chile, and sailed out, I can't cite any personal experience at all. However, you should go over and post your experience on the South America forum of Cruise Critic, because on that forum there are those that are under the same impression I am i.e. you only pay if you fly in, and you should have your information available over there so those people avoid a big surprise! I think you are saying that if you do not have the paper stapled in your passport because you sailed in, they will nail you on the way out when they don't find the paper. I'm under the impression you have to fly in to be assessed the fee, but I can't find any proof of what I think! :D

Archived