Guided Shore Dive in Bonaire

idlenote

We will be in Bonaire in October on the Carnival Triumph. I was going to dive on the Carnival excursion, but down in the fine print it states that they will not take anyone on any prescription medicine of any kind which was a bit of a turn-off.

After an afternoons reading online I keep coming across references to guided shore dives but I can't pin it down to which dive shops handle this, seems like everyone just turns you loose and off you go and I know I'm not ready for this yet.

Has anyone done a guided shore dive and can you give names of the dive shops and recommendations.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Edited by idlenote
spelling

We have used Renee, from Reneesnorkeltrips.com, and would reccomend her.

Check her website for details.

Another time, we took the water taxi to Klein Bonaire, and enjoyed that too, but water was deep and no guides to answer questions or direct us to special spots.

Bonaire is a premier spot for snorkelers, enjoy.

We booked through Buddy Dive for our cruise stop and it was guided. Picked us up outside the port. We were at the house reef and then bachelor beach by truck.

The Carnival one excludes even with the medical form? I have never had an issue as long as I brought my signed med form. I think it is Dive Friends the ships use, at least RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for the help.

The ship excursion is through Dive Friends, there web site states they just need the normal PADI paperwork, so it must be Carnival putting this in, although that's strange because the requirement is not in their information for diving at any other port. I asked Dive Friends about the discrepancy but they didn't answer.

Finally booked with Gooodives yesterday, two guided beach dives, a little pricey but it's based on just me and the guide. They did say if they got more people the price would go down. The recs looked good so I jumped on it.

I'll take a look at Buddy Dive and keep them in mind for the next time in Bonaire.

Jim

Sent this email to Princess Customer Relations this morning.

"I am booked on the Royal departing November 10 for the Caribbean.

"I have cruised the Caribbean many times with Princess. What brings me back for multiple cruises over the same patch of ocean is the diving excursions at the ports of call. Especially Bonaire. The diving in the park there is fantastic. I last dove there on a Princess excursion two years ago at age 67. Lovely shallow dives, great visbility, no currents, easy access in and out of the dive boat. No stress, easy diving. (I should also remark that I am extremely fit and quite capable of higher stress, more difficult diving.)

"I tried to reserve this excursion of my upcoming cruise but was rejected due to my age being over 65 (now 69). This is outrageous and I intend to give this issue as much visibility as I can muster until you reverse this discriminatory policy. Do not try to pass the responsibility on to the dive operators seeking protection from the fact that they are not an American company and not bound by American views on the issue of discrimination based up age. Do not blame the insurance companies. Princess is acting as their agent and promoting age discrimination. While that may be legal (that remains to be seen and I will explore that consideration as well with the AARP) but it is not "smart" considering the demographics of your market.

"It's a real slap in the face of this black card holder! And I'm mad as hell!!

"Please take action immediately to reverse this insulting policy."

I think it''s important for fit and capable divers over 65 assert their right to participate in any dive excursion offered through any cruise company. It's a slippery slope and this action by Princess and the agent in Bonaire set a dangerous precedent. If you're affected or interested in protecting your dive future please speak up.

• 5 weeks later...
Sent this email to Princess Customer Relations this morning.

"I am booked on the Royal departing November 10 for the Caribbean.

"I have cruised the Caribbean many times with Princess. What brings me back for multiple cruises over the same patch of ocean is the diving excursions at the ports of call. Especially Bonaire. The diving in the park there is fantastic. I last dove there on a Princess excursion two years ago at age 67. Lovely shallow dives, great visbility, no currents, easy access in and out of the dive boat. No stress, easy diving. (I should also remark that I am extremely fit and quite capable of higher stress, more difficult diving.)

"I tried to reserve this excursion of my upcoming cruise but was rejected due to my age being over 65 (now 69). This is outrageous and I intend to give this issue as much visibility as I can muster until you reverse this discriminatory policy. Do not try to pass the responsibility on to the dive operators seeking protection from the fact that they are not an American company and not bound by American views on the issue of discrimination based up age. Do not blame the insurance companies. Princess is acting as their agent and promoting age discrimination. While that may be legal (that remains to be seen and I will explore that consideration as well with the AARP) but it is not "smart" considering the demographics of your market.

"It's a real slap in the face of this black card holder! And I'm mad as hell!!

"Please take action immediately to reverse this insulting policy."

I think it''s important for fit and capable divers over 65 assert their right to participate in any dive excursion offered through any cruise company. It's a slippery slope and this action by Princess and the agent in Bonaire set a dangerous precedent. If you're affected or interested in protecting your dive future please speak up.

what about fit and capable snorkelers.. rci has a 65 age thing on any decent snorkel trip... on one ship it meant the captain couldn't go either because he was over 65.. we have booked independent snorkeling in bonaire.. don't want to miss that reef

We have used Renee, from Reneesnorkeltrips.com, and would reccomend her.

Check her website for details.

Another time, we took the water taxi to Klein Bonaire, and enjoyed that too, but water was deep and no guides to answer questions or direct us to special spots.

Bonaire is a premier spot for snorkelers, enjoy.

jayrg7

I checked out renee's website.. on her shore snorkel trips were there a lot of coral and fish.. her website posts all mention eels and octopus.. can you tell me a little more about the shore trip you did with her?.. .th anks