Hotels in LA Pre-post Cruise???

bzv143

I also researched this and several I know who had stayed there at the time advised against it. They indicated it had not been well kept or updated. With the financial problems they are having (or their management company is having), I wouldn't stay there.

You jogged my memory. I also found out the company that owns the Queen Mary is in bankruptcy. They also owe the local government a ton of money. Those two items were enough for us to decide to book a room somewhere else.

How about the Coast Hotel Long Beach?? I hear it is pretty good. :)

Hi, the Coast Hotel Long Beach is fine. You will find comments about this hotel on the Hotels board here on CC. This port is the Long Beach Port where Carnival ships are, the San Pedro port is about 20 min. down the road where Princess ships are. A lot of people get confused about this . It isn't a bad commute. You should be fine. But will probably need a taxi. I don't think the hotel shuttle goes to San Pedro port, you could check by calling the hotel 1-800 number and asking if they go to (specify) San Pedro port embarkation for Princess.

As for those of you thinking about booking the Queen Mary, I would give it a pass and go somewhere else. They are in financial difficulties AGAIN, for some reason the Queen can't keep her head above water in the money department. It is a shame.

Have a great time here in the So. California area. Enjoy your trips.

Happy Cruising

Cori

Thanks, I am trying to narrow the search down to about the best 3 or 4 hotels to stay at pre cruise, then I can start comparing prices and see who has avail. rooms. I am leaving out of San Pedro. I understand the Coast Long Beach Hotel is good and about 20 minutes *(thanks to prev poster) and I have heard good things about the Westin in Long Beach but I am not sure how far away it is from the port....Please let me know what some of your favorite spots are..

Thanks, I am trying to narrow the search down to about the best 3 or 4 hotels to stay at pre cruise, then I can start comparing prices and see who has avail. rooms. I am leaving out of San Pedro. I understand the Coast Long Beach Hotel is good and about 20 minutes *(thanks to prev poster) and I have heard good things about the Westin in Long Beach but I am not sure how far away it is from the port....Please let me know what some of your favorite spots are..

Hello again. If that is the Westin Long Beach, it will be about the same distance from San Pedro as the Coast. The Westin is located on Ocean Blvd. which is where most of the large hotels are. It is a nice place. You will enjoy your stay there. The Coast is not on Ocean , it is just across the way going toward the Queen M and Port area. But there are only minutes difference in the locations. Either one will be fine. Enjoy

Cori

Cori,

Thanks again for your information. We are flying into LAX 3 days prior to sailing. We're on the Sapphire Princess. I think we are going to take the ferry out to Catalina Island and maybe also see the Queen Mary. The Hilton Long Beach was recommended by our TA and we were able to get a government rate there. I know there are hotels closer to our port but this seemed like the nicest at the best price.

We are flying on American and that is why we land in LAX, not Long Beach. Again, we got a "deal".

Kurt

Kyle, Last year we took a relocation cruise which ended in the San Pedro cruise port. We got off the Norwegian Star and took a free port shuttle to the dock for the Catalina Express just a block aaway. We loved Catalina Island. We stayed there for two nights and took four tours. They were very reasonable priced when we combined the buy 2 discount with the 55 year old and older discount.

Colo Cruiser,

We are staying at Coast next month. I should get something posted right after we stay. I could not pass up the price from priceline. Although some of the comments about San Pedro freaked me out. I did know from the boards that San Pedro is industrial however we do not plan on roaming around the area at night.

Does anyone know if there is a grocery store close to the Coast Long Beach?

Okay, I'm a little confused. The Coast Long Beach is about 20 minutes from San Pedro, so you won't be in that area at night at all. Just the day you board the ship.

We're staying at the Coast on the night of the 21st and you're right got it for $66 (before tax) on priceline. I've heard taxi costs ranging from $25 to $40. I'll check with the hotel before we take a cab in case the cab driver decides he needs to take us on the scenic route.

I can't quite remember about a grocery store, found a liquor store within a 1.5, but if you go into http://www.yellowpages.com and put in grocery store for the business type and then 90802, the zip code of the Coast, then it will show you what listings they are. I then go to yahoo maps or mapquest and do the driving instructions to see how really far it is. Remember too that Long Beach has some free bus service - http://www.lbtransit.com/passport.html

Susan :)

Archived