Gluten free on Nieuw Amsterdam

happy77

Just found out DH has a wheat allergy and needs to be on a gluten free diet. Anyone have experience with this on HA ships??. I assume the rules regarding this are pretty much the same on all HA cruises. Still in the very early learning stage with this diet. Thanks anybody for your input. Nan

Past reports indicate HAL tries to accomodate to various food allergies, but it is not alway 100% successful so one needs to personally stay alert too.

Here is a good link from UCLA to help sort out the difference between "wheat allergy" and gluten.

http://gastro.ucla.edu/site.cfm?id=281

Edited by OlsSalt

Just found out DH has a wheat allergy and needs to be on a gluten free diet. Anyone have experience with this on HA ships??. I assume the rules regarding this are pretty much the same on all HA cruises. Still in the very early learning stage with this diet. Thanks anybody for your input. Nan

Contact HAL beforehand and make sure your servers know as well. Based on people's reports, Holland America does a very good job with special diets.

I think I can provide a fairly comprehensive plus and minus view from a person that has a gluten allergy.

The first thing I will say is that you should not have much of a problem. Here are my experiences after 6 HAL cruises.

In terms of the MDR, you fill a form in and send it back to HAL, but it's a bit prescriptive and asks you to choose the gluten free items you want. That doesn't work for us and as I say only relates to the MDR.

If you choose to eat on an evening in the MDR you should have no issues at all. I would still suggest speaking to the Restaurant Manager after you board to check they are aware in advance.

The good news is that if you eat in the Lido or Room service they can generally cater for you without prior planning.

I have had from the lido:

Gluten free pasta

Gluten free bread/toast

Gluten free pizza

There are also lots of salads that are OK.

I have had from the Dive-in:

Gluten free burger from Dive in burger bar (they use a gluten free english muffin)

I have had from Room Service:

Sandwiches with gluten free bread i.e. club and chicken and steak, as well as other items that were normally gluten free.

Pinnacle Grill:

You are well looked after here. They give good advise and you should be fine. Note that sometimes the staff don't know that the fries have a wheat inclusive coating so ask about that. Also they should be well aware of all the sauces that come with steaks etc. I've never had a problem. They also do their lovely three flavours Crème Brule. It's lovely and gluten free.

You could message me privately here and I am happy to e-mail you HAL's MDR gluten free form for you to use:)

Overall, I think that if it's not life threatening, you can go with a combination of gut feel, your own knowledge and asking the staff.

Edited by richarduk

• 7 months later...
...actually, I'm not sure if THIS forum allows private messages. I use others that do allow, so I have included a link below that has the form for you:

http://cleditorial.s3.amazonaws.com/article/cruising101/cheat-sheet/gluten/HA-gluten-free-form.pdf

Thanks so much richarduk. I appreciate the information. Cheers! :)