Grand Cayman Snorkeling

ctmcruiser

Good Morning,

New on the boards here and have a question I can't find specifically after researching. We have snorkeled sunset house many times, but have a couple folks joining this time on our next cruise. They have minor back / neck issues which I think will make it challenging for them to do a straight up and down ladder.

Does anyone know of another location that is easier in and out that would be a similar experience. Really don't want just a beach snorkel experience without the rock / reef but also want to do on our own versus having to go out by boat. We especially like that with Sunset we can also go in to the pool, bar / restaurant throughout the day to take breaks from our snorkeling.

Would appreciate if anyone has suggestions and possibly pictures of the entry / exit point that could help us decide where to go.

Try Paradise Grill. It's just to the south of the tender piers a couple of blocks. (It's got a bright green roof that you can't miss as you tender in. It's right near the Eden Rock snorkeling area, but they have a rock/cement staircase down into the water. The water at the bottom is about 3 feet deep. You can snorkel along the shore, or swim out to Eden Rock. They also have decent food and beverage right there on the waterfront. Not quite as NICE as Sunset, but closer and easy access to the water. They also feed the tarpon there so that's kind of fun to swim in as well!!

I would like more information on either Sunset House or Paradise Grill. I'll be in Grand Caymon on a cruise and would like someplace for two of us to snorkel while 2 relaxes at a restaurant/bar. Would either of these places work for that? Do you need to get a day pass? How do you reach from the cruise tender dock?

Thanks,

Pam

Eden's rock is next to the restaurant Paradise Grill on one side and a small beach area with lounge chairs on the other.

Google maps is great for viewing this area.

No pass it's not a resort or anything like that.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort/about-us.htm

As for Sunset house I believe just by buying food and drinks you can use their facilities.

Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa

The Westin offers day use of a room for up to four adults, including access to the beach and facilities for $119 per room. No food or beverage is included, this resort is 15 minutes from port by taxi.

Day passes are uncommon in Grand Cayman, however many resort beaches, restaurants and spas are open to the public

Edited by ISLABONITA

Do either Sunset House or Paradise Grill rent snorkeling equipment?

full service dive shops at both Sunset House and Eden Rock (Par' is next to Eden Rock)

expect to pay around $15 for m/f/s and safety vest (vest is highly recommended ... this is "big boy" snorkeling .... no standing on coral and water depths can be over 40 feet )

both places have detailed web sites

http://www.edenrockdive.com/equipment.html

http://www.sunsethouse.com/scuba-diving/pricing.htm

(sunset shows no price for a vest but IME provided them for free . . . with MFS set)

I would like more information on either Sunset House or Paradise Grill. I'll be in Grand Caymon on a cruise and would like someplace for two of us to snorkel while 2 relaxes at a restaurant/bar. Would either of these places work for that? Do you need to get a day pass? How do you reach from the cruise tender dock?

Thanks,

Pam

Pam

I can't talk about Eden Rock / Paradise grill because we've not been there, it is the first resort from the ship and probably more popular for that reason.

For Sunset House we did attempt to walk there the first time but I would not recommend and we've just taken a cab for all of our visits after. The reason is because the sidewalks end.

You do not need a daypass. It depends on when you cruise as to whether you can use the pool / lounge by the pool. If it is on a peak date, they ask that you be mindful of the guests staying at the resort. It is a dive resort, not fancy but has everything I think one would want or need.

The restaurant is medium priced and good food. If you do go to their resort, I would recommend as a courtesy for using their pool / facilities that you purchase a drink or two at least. They don't ask or require, just a suggestion.

When you arrive you go around to the back of the resort, the cab typically will drop you off there, but sometimes they just drop you in front.

The rental desk is right there, you sign a waiver and pay cash for the rental. The equipment is well maintained.

Snorkeling is directly in to the ocean via a ladder by way of a small cove or there are others that go straight in so like the Capt said, you may want to use a safety vest. We have not, but it is a matter of comfort and then also determining the current and knowing your limits.

It has always been a great experience for us, we love that there are not hoards of people and we've always seen significant marine life. The water is crystal clear and refreshing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by ctmcruiser

Eden Rock/Paradise grill is just a restaurant and dive shop with a place to go snorkeling and rent equipment

It is Not a RESORT.

There is a sandy area next to it with lounge chairs last time I was there, next to the sidewalk separated by a rock wall.

check google maps and you will see what I mean.

Edited by ISLABONITA

We were hoping to snorkel in the morning and lay at the beach afterward. We are active 35's with some snorkel experience. What place has better snorkel in your opinion Eden Rock or Sunset House? Which would be closer to a beach to go lay out afterward? Both of these seem to have sand, but not a beach, so I think we will need to go to 7 mile beach and maybe go to Royal Palms.

Also reading about cemetary beach and governers beach for the combined beach/snorkel experience, however I'm wondering how many fish are there without a reef?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Scarlet and grey

What place has better snorkel in your opinion Eden Rock or Sunset House? Which would be closer to a beach to go lay out afterward?

- north of the tender landings the shore is a wide sand beach (7 mile beach) .... the snorkeling is trying to find a fish on the sand ... the sand goes out for over 1/4 mile

- south of the tender landings are EDEN and SUNSET ... a few hundred yards apart .... EDEN is 'first'

EDEN ROCK dive center is that ... a dive shop, next door is Paradise, a rest' .... they overlap and have the advantage of being the closest to the cruise tender area . . .

Sunset is a bit down the road ... a "resort" with one of the most popular bars on the island, "free" snorkeling/diving

• 2 weeks later...
Try Paradise Grill. It's just to the south of the tender piers a couple of blocks. (It's got a bright green roof that you can't miss as you tender in. It's right near the Eden Rock snorkeling area, but they have a rock/cement staircase down into the water. The water at the bottom is about 3 feet deep. You can snorkel along the shore, or swim out to Eden Rock. They also have decent food and beverage right there on the waterfront. Not quite as NICE as Sunset, but closer and easy access to the water. They also feed the tarpon there so that's kind of fun to swim in as well!!

Thanks for the info! How deep is the water at Sunset? I love snorkeling but I'm a weak swimmer.

Thanks for the info! How deep is the water at Sunset? I love snorkeling but I'm a weak swimmer.

the snorkeling areas of EDEN and SUNSET are only a few hundred yards apart and the "profile" of the reef is very similar.

Over the coral areas the water IS 30 to 50 foot deep, altho at EDEN @ low tide the depth over some coral areas can be just a few feet BUT standing on the coral is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and being caught doing so could result in arrest! Standing on coral KILLS IT.

At SUNSET, at the main ladder you jump into water about 10 foot deep and it gets deeper from there.

This is BIG BOY/GIRL snorkeling and I would NOT recommend it for a weak swimmer. I recommend 'strong' swimmers wear a safety vest .... many "strong" swimmers are not as strong as they think (else I would not have had to pull them out of the water)

For OP (if still around)

last time I was at SUNSET they had added a new ladder at the "main" entry point, and that ladder was not a straight up vertical as I recall .... but more "steps like" (conditions were sloppy most of my visit and we used the sea pool for our in'outs)

you might e-mail the dive shop and maybe they could send a picture .... I didn't take one nor see a good one on their revised web site

the snorkeling areas of EDEN and SUNSET are only a few hundred yards apart and the "profile" of the reef is very similar.

Over the coral areas the water IS 30 to 50 foot deep, altho at EDEN @ low tide the depth over some coral areas can be just a few feet BUT standing on the coral is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and being caught doing so could result in arrest! Standing on coral KILLS IT.

At SUNSET, at the main ladder you jump into water about 10 foot deep and it gets deeper from there.

This is BIG BOY/GIRL snorkeling and I would NOT recommend it for a weak swimmer. I recommend 'strong' swimmers wear a safety vest .... many "strong" swimmers are not as strong as they think (else I would not have had to pull them out of the water)

For OP (if still around)

last time I was at SUNSET they had added a new ladder at the "main" entry point, and that ladder was not a straight up vertical as I recall .... but more "steps like" (conditions were sloppy most of my visit and we used the sea pool for our in'outs)

you might e-mail the dive shop and maybe they could send a picture .... I didn't take one nor see a good one on their revised web site

Thanks for the detailed info and warning, CBJ! :)

BTW, is "Sunset" snorkeling referred in this post the same as "Sunset Cove"? I was googling more research and Sunset Cove came up a lot.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels