Big Uh-Oh Coming Up!

Ships R Great

On the news yesterday they said Independance Air is shutting down. This will be a big Uh-Oh for us in just two weeks. We are booked from DC to NewYork on IAir for our Galaxy 10/7 cruise. Has anyone ever been in this fix before? Will the TA take care of changing and absorb any costs? I have tried to call but not gotten anyone yet.

I just called 1-800-359-3594 & the gal told me that they are flying & booked solid til end of January. She did not see any mention on the news so she was quite shocked at what I told her. (Unless they haven't told employees yet) but they are in Cahpter 11 just like 7 others airlines which doesn't mean they are out of business as that is Chapter 7.

We flew into Washington DC from Los Angeles on Midway Air in October 2001. They had been operating in Chapter 11 for several months. They ceased operations the next day. USAir accomodated all ticketed Midway passnegers, at least those going to USAir cities. So I'm sure there is a contingency plan.

Regards

I should have read the paper before I posted. The Washington Post is saying this morning that they are cutting back on flights to many cities but will continue to operate. So I guess the worst case scenario would be a change in flight times in and out of New York. Thanks to all who posted.

Just wanted to say that Independence Air is NOT in bankruptcy. However, everythng I read predicts they most likely will be before the bankruptcy laws change in October. If they do go into bankruptcy it will most likely be Chapter 11 which means they should continue to fly at least in the near future.

when they purchased an airbus & forgot to pay for it within 290 days. That was an airline first!

We flew into Washington DC from Los Angeles on Midway Air in October 2001. They had been operating in Chapter 11 for several months. They ceased operations the next day. USAir accomodated all ticketed Midway passnegers, at least those going to USAir cities. So I'm sure there is a contingency plan.

Regards

Ok, as far as I know (my brother works for the company and they are based out of my area) Independence is not going anywhere. They are a fairly new airline and as such it takes time to get out of the red. HOWEVER, with that said, they are continually flying very full planes. One of the perks of being a relative is I fly really cheap if I fly standby - there have been many weekends where I have actually been unable to fly standby due to lack of seats. It is also a standard policy of many airlines to look at their itineraries and adjust them as needed. For example - Maine is beautiful in the summer (and has delicious lobster too) but do you they need 6 flights a day there in January? So, I hope this helps to clear up the confusion. I am sure your flights will still be there.

Archived