Flying into Miami

angiem0217

If we arrive at Miami airport at 11:30am is that enough time to make it to the ship? Or should we fly over the night before. Rates are cheaper to come the same day the ship leaves and no hotel stay.

I did not see in the posts what time your ship leaves, or what day of the week it sails.

You say you arrive at Miami airport, but do not mention port of departure. I assume it's the Port of Miami and not Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale.

For Saturday and Sunday departures, taxi travel time between MIA and the Port of Miami, assuming no unusual conditions, is about 20 minutes. For weekday departures, say Friday or Thursday, taxi travel time can easily turn up to be an hour but most common would be 30 to 35 minutes.

Now you can figure out if you are safe arriving day of departure at 11:30Am.

I would think that it is not the airport to port travel time that would worry me, but the reliability of the airlines to get you to MIA on time.

Personally when we sail from ports we have to use airlines, we travel 1or 2 days prior to sail time. Not that it is required, it is just less stressful for us.

Cheers, and Bon Boyage.

I booked entirely through NCL, flight, transfers etc. They booked my flight to arrive in MIA at 12:56 pm. I am on the Getaway on Sept 12th sailing leaving at 4:00 pm.

Why would NCL book so late if an 11:30 arrival is too close?

If we arrive at Miami airport at 11:30am is that enough time to make it to the ship? Or should we fly over the night before. Rates are cheaper to come the same day the ship leaves and no hotel stay.

Please do not do the day of. There is too much that can go wrong. Live a little and fly in day before. You will be much more rested than flying in day of and having possible problems.

Make it an extra day of your vacation. My recommendation is to stay in the Ft. Lauderdale area, Dania beach is nice and then take SAS shuttle service from the hotel to the port in Miami. SAS is 15.00 ow from the hotel to the port in Miami. Make sure you book online at their site. Very convenient service. On the way home you can cab it from the port to Miami airport.

I booked entirely through NCL, flight, transfers etc. They booked my flight to arrive in MIA at 12:56 pm. I am on the Getaway on Sept 12th sailing leaving at 4:00 pm.

Why would NCL book so late if an 11:30 arrival is too close?

It's not. Plenty of time. NCL will bus you through to the ship in 40minutes tops. The longest wait will be waiting for all your fellow passengers to gather at the bus boarding area.

They have it down to a science. Plus since you booked through NCL, they would probably wait for you a fair amount of time should there be delays.

The ship has sailed late due to delayed buses.

Cheers.

We have decided to go the night before. Thanks for the advice, I found a cheaper flight so it is not as expensive.

There ya go! That will be way more relaxed. And now you an take advantage of getting to know a bit about the greater Ft Lauderdale/Miami Area. Explore, experience the heat, food and drink.

Cheers.

If you booked the air through NCL, make sure you have it in writing that they will wait for you if there is a delay. If you only booked the NCL transfers, they will not wait for you.

We actually missed a cruise due to a same day flight being delayed by 3 hours. Colorado to MIA.

We now do the red-eye.

If you booked the air through NCL, make sure you have it in writing that they will wait for you if there is a delay. If you only booked the NCL transfers, they will not wait for you.

We actually missed a cruise due to a same day flight being delayed by 3 hours. Colorado to MIA.

We now do the red-eye.

In this instance, in your case: What time was your flight due to arrive, and when did the plane actually arrive, VS. ships scheduled departure time?

Yes they will wait for you, not re-schedule the cruise.

I do not expect them to hold departure for a delay that results sailing three plus hours past regular departure time.

It would also depend on how many people were running late and for what cause.

I remember ships delaying departure due to Chile's earthquake preventing most of the ship's passengers timely arrival due to no flights being able to land.

Then again, "some" ships, did leave without most of their passengers, resulting in a lots of unhappy posts on this board.

Cheers.