cape LIBERTY ???

Jiffymom

SO I need your help. We had the most fantastic trip planned. 5 days road trip tour Vermont/Boston then cruise Oct 11 2015 All hotel and car reservations made. Well all those good plans came to a end. Our travel partner is sick. Dang So we immediately cancelled and rebooked for next year. But this time we will fly to Boston /vermont road trip four days prior then go to Cape Liberty. So How do you get there from Boston?. If we stay a couple of days near the port Is it easy to get to NYC for a city tour . Just thought the rooms would be less than the city.And last when I fly after the cruise to California which airport is the best to use. I'll be flying American. Dang I was so looking forward but Im sure all things work out for the best.

We stayed at Country Inn & suites because rooms are large and staff always helpful (and have free full hot breakfast). They provide free shuttle to airport, then onto the free tram to train station, which we then got on the train (a conductor helps you with tickets and options) to downtown manhattan. Was very easy and had a great day in new York. We purchased hop-on[hop-off tickets online for half price, then made that our priority to do the full circle to see where everything is, then decided what we wanted to look futherat from there. We also took the free Staten Island ferry to go past the Liberty Statue.

Best advice I can give you is to check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163707

Depending on how much luggage you have, the train might be your best bet from Boston to NYC. It's not a pleasant drive. If you stay in NYC or in north Jersey near the port, you won't need to have a car to get to the city, so you could return your rental in Boston. The hotels in Hoboken and the Newport area of Jersey City may be somewhat cheaper than in NYC proper, but probably not a lot cheaper.

But go check out that thread. You have lots of time to plan!

Edited by jm485

SO I need your help. We had the most fantastic trip planned. 5 days road trip tour Vermont/Boston then cruise Oct 11 2015 All hotel and car reservations made. Well all those good plans came to a end. Our travel partner is sick. Dang So we immediately cancelled and rebooked for next year. But this time we will fly to Boston /vermont road trip four days prior then go to Cape Liberty. So How do you get there from Boston?. If we stay a couple of days near the port Is it easy to get to NYC for a city tour . Just thought the rooms would be less than the city.And last when I fly after the cruise to California which airport is the best to use. I'll be flying American. Dang I was so looking forward but Im sure all things work out for the best.

Exact dates for 2016 would be helpful.

I would look into the cost of a one way car rental. If you fly to Boston and drive to Vermont, it will be easier to drive directly to NJ and return the car there.

What would your NY area hotel budget be? If you want to do NYC, you are good candidates to stay in the Newport area of Jersey City for easy access to NYC and the port. Many of the big car rental places have locations in Jersey City.

You want to fly home from Newark Airport.

thanks 138. Our cruise is Oct 6 2016. Not sure but thinking just 4 days in Boston Vermont area. And of course King Arthur. Think we could make a nice loope and just 2 days days in NYC.

would we drive from Boston to Jersey or do we go back to Boston. Guess I better look it up. Just the beginning planning stages.

1.thinking drive from Boston to Ogunquit.

2.Stay the night Walk the Marginal way and dinner at Perkins Cove.

3.head to NH Highway 112. stay night

4..Go to Norwich stay

5.then slow trip back to Boston.

6 stay another night in Boston area.

7. Head to Jersey. But I am worried about the traffic so might check out the train.

we will have three bags per couple.

8/9 somewhere near port.in the city/ I like the idea staying close to port. Not sure of price yet. this will be a quick 9 days.

thanks 138. Our cruise is Oct 6 2016. Not sure but thinking just 4 days in Boston Vermont area. And of course King Arthur. Think we could make a nice loope and just 2 days days in NYC.

would we drive from Boston to Jersey or do we go back to Boston. Guess I better look it up. Just the beginning planning stages.

1.thinking drive from Boston to Ogunquit.

2.Stay the night Walk the Marginal way and dinner at Perkins Cove.

3.head to NH Highway 112. stay night

4..Go to Norwich stay

5.then slow trip back to Boston.

6 stay another night in Boston area.

7. Head to Jersey. But I am worried about the traffic so might check out the train.

we will have three bags per couple.

8/9 somewhere near port.in the city/ I like the idea staying close to port. Not sure of price yet. this will be a quick 9 days.

Are you sure about your cruise date? The 10/6/16 cruise from Cape Liberty is the 9 day Bermuda/Caribbean cruise on the Anthem, not the 5 day Bermuda cruise.

On a high level, I think you should do Boston the first day. IMO if you are renting a car, there is no point in driving several hours back to Boston from Norwich VT, returning the car, and then putting everyone on a train for a 4++ hour trip to NJ. That will be an exhausting trip and logistically makes no sense. Much easier to drive directly to a NJ hotel, ditch your luggage, and return the car.

I can provide you with the "cars only" directions through NYC to NJ. If you left Norwich at 8 am, you would go through NY midday and arrive in NJ about 1-2 pm. depending on stops.

There are no hotels we recommend in Bayonne, NJ. The closest hotels are in Jersey City or in Downtown Newark or at Newark Airport. Jersey City is right across the Hudson River from NYC with excellent public transportation to both midtown and downtown NY. The hotels are more expensive, but you save on time and transportation costs. From Newark airport it costs $25/pp rt to NY, but from Jersey City it costs $5.50. If budget is a concern, there are options in downtown Newark with good access to public transit.

139. I rechecked my reservation. 10/6/16. Is a 9 day New England talk about a panic.

So I'm thinking just take the Amtrack from Boston to Ew. Find a hotel close by Then take a train or what ever you call it to Manhattan. I guess we will book the hop on and off tour to see it all in a day. Now we decide how to get to the port in the morning . We can't pay more than 180.00 per night is why we are not taking the train to Penn and trying to get closer to cape liberty or the airport .

Boy this is a long time from now. Will try not drive you all crazy with questions.

Hey planning is half the fun.

139. I rechecked my reservation. 10/6/16. Is a 9 day New England talk about a panic.

So I'm thinking just take the Amtrack from Boston to Ew. Find a hotel close by Then take a train or what ever you call it to Manhattan. I guess we will book the hop on and off tour to see it all in a day. Now we decide how to get to the port in the morning . We can't pay more than 180.00 per night is why we are not taking the train to Penn and trying to get closer to cape liberty or the airport .

Boy this is a long time from now. Will try not drive you all crazy with questions.

Hey planning is half the fun.

Well I misread it as well - the 9 day cruises go to NE in the fall, not Bermuda and the Caribbean. So you will go back to Boston anyway for a day.

The best deal for you is to look at the Robert Treat Hotel in downtown Newark. This hotel will fit your budget whereas many of the airport hotels will not. You take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and call the hotel to have their shuttle pick you up. To get to Manhattan the next day you take the hotel shuttle back to Newark Penn Station and take the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $5/pp or $2.25 if you're seniors over 62.

I did this exact trip in Jan to sail on the Quantum. I was very happy with the hotel and was able to take public transit to Bayonne the morning of the cruise. The hotel offers free breakfast as well. Staying in downtown Newark instead of at Newark airport will cut your travel time in half into NYC.

At Boston Logan Airport you can take the Silver Line SL1 bus outside baggage claim to go to South Station. This bus is free from the airport. The Silver Line SL2 bus also services Black Falcon Terminal, so you may want to use it on your Boston port day. Post back for details?

Edited by 138east

138. Perfect. This all sounds doable. Honestly taking all these trains to the city is both scary and exciting. How did you get to the port ? Any idea of the cost .

Looks like the day we arrive from Boston would be noonish. Just hope hotel will store our luggage I would like to spend the half day go see Statue of Liberty . How do I get there. Next day we will go to the city and get the tour on off bus and spend all day.

So many plans and I have so much time. Thanks again

This is all coming together Robert treat hotel sounds like a perfect place.

138. Perfect. This all sounds doable. Honestly taking all these trains to the city is both scary and exciting. How did you get to the port ? Any idea of the cost .

Looks like the day we arrive from Boston would be noonish. Just hope hotel will store our luggage I would like to spend the half day go see Statue of Liberty . How do I get there. Next day we will go to the city and get the tour on off bus and spend all day.

So many plans and I have so much time. Thanks again

This is all coming together Robert treat hotel sounds like a perfect place.

When I stayed at the Robert Treat, I took the 9 am hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station where I took PATH to Exchange Place in Jersey City, transferred 1/2 block across the plaza to the light rail, and went to 34th St in Bayonne. I was going to call one of the taxi companies like I had done before, but one of my friends who was on her way to Cape Liberty had her car service swing by to pick me up. Total time was an hour and a quarter. Car service from a downtown Newark hotel is about the same as from the airport - in the $55-60 range.

I'm not sure how you're going to make it to a hotel in NJ by noon unless you take a 6 am train from Boston or pay double for the Acela train. IMO if you want to go out to the SOL by ferry and explore, that's a bit late to do it. You might want to look at a two day hoho trolley ticket and do a half day the first day, go to the SOL first thing in the morning on day 2 and then ride the hoho the afternoon of day 2.

8:15 Boston arrive Newark Ewr 12:57

Of course I'm talking next year so times might change.

Is that the same as Newark Penn?

No - that is Newark - International Airport, NJ (EWR). Newark, NJ (NWK) is Newark Penn Station.

That arrival time is way too late to get to do much more than ride out to the SOL and Ellis Island and back again.

Cape Liberty is south of the SOL. You get a distant view of her when you sail, but you don't go by her.

If you don't actually have to go out to Liberty Island and walk around the base of the statue, you might want to consider taking the free Staten Island ferry ride to Staten Island and back.

Where are you going to be staying in Boston to be able to catch a train at 8:15 on a weekday morning? Have you looked at Boston hotel prices? They are similar to Manhattan hotel prices. If you have a $180 budget, you will have difficulty finding anything for that price that has easy access to either South Station or Back Bay Train stations.

We decided to stay one more day in NYC. So we will take the train from Boston on Monday. Gives us two full days to tour. So the train from Boston doesn't arrive at Newark Penn ? I thought that was right near the Best Western Treat

We decided to stay one more day in NYC. So we will take the train from Boston on Monday. Gives us two full days to tour. So the train from Boston doesn't arrive at Newark Penn ? I thought that was right near the Best Western Treat

You referred to taking the train to Newark EWR which is the Newark Airport Station. Newark Penn Station is is Newark (NWK). The train's from Boston always stop at Newark Penn Station, which is the first Amtrak station southbound after New York Penn Station. Amtrak shares the rail line with NJTransit, which are the local trains. The Robert Treat uisabout 5-6 blocks from Newark Penn Station. They offer a shuttle between the hotel and the station. If you don't want to wait for the shuttle to pick you up, take a cab. I don't recommend that you walk it.

Both the SOL ferry and the Staten Island ferry leave from downtown Manhattan near Battery Park/South ferry. You take PATH from Newark Penn station to the Workd Trade Center and walk about 10-15 minutes south.

Please take a look at the maps so you get a better understanding of how this all fits together.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Corridor

You cannot access the EWR Airport rail station by vehicle...you need to take the monorail to P4 to get a cab, actually to a terminal is better...

AND if you are on Amtrak you must buy a $5 (i think, it may have gone up) ticket to access the fare gates at EWR Airport rail station to get on the free monorail....(call it a 'tax')

NJ Transit tickets to EWR rail station include this fee

138. The last post from you helped explain. So I take the train from Boston to Newark not Ewr. Either wait for hotel shuttle or take taxi to hotel

Go back to same train and that is also where we get the path train to WTC.

I'm assuming once at WTC we can buy tickets for the tour bus and head out from there. Tour most the city

Only other option is to have you come with us and hold our hands and get us thru the big city lol and trains.

138. The last post from you helped explain. So I take the train from Boston to Newark not Ewr. Either wait for hotel shuttle or take taxi to hotel

Go back to same train and that is also where we get the path train to WTC.

I'm assuming once at WTC we can buy tickets for the tour bus and head out from there. Tour most the city

Only other option is to have you come with us and hold our hands and get us thru the big city lol and trains.

You've changed your plans. You were going to go to the SOL immediately after arriving and to do that you go by PATH to World Trade Center. The first part is correct - Amtrak train to Newark Penn Station, shuttle or cab to the hotel, and back to Newark Penn Station.

Now you need a serious plan for touring NYC. What tour bus are you thinking of taking?

Please look at the maps. From Newark you have two choices to go to Manhattan. PATH goes to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan. This is what you take to go to the 911 Memorial, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the Staten Island Ferry, Wall Street, City Hall, Brooklyn Bridge, and South Street Seaport among other places.

NJ Transit is what you take from Newark to go to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. Many if the tour buses originate in the Times Square area.

Once you are in NYC you can go between midtown and downtown by subway.

Just when I thought I had the answers. I forgot to ask which station in Boston is closest to airport. We will need to return our car

You also need a serious Boston plan. Where are you staying the night before you take the train to Newark? Are you sightseeing in Boston at all? A car is useless for that - you will pay a fortune to park and will be very frustrated by the narrow one way streets. Hotel prices are outrageous. It will take you way longer than you think to reurn a car to Logan airport, get yourselves back to the terminals, and take the Silver Line to Boston South station.

I still don't understand why you're not doing Boston first and then driving to Vermont and then driving to NJ.