arcade

jmcancruise

We always go to the arcades and there has never been high usage, probably because the games are pricey. We easily spend $100 in the arcade with 2 boys. You can use any S&S card with a CC authorized/positive balance (or add a certain amount each day at guest services) and you can combine points for the rewards to get one big prize or split one card up into smaller amounts.

Edited by Cruise life

• 2 weeks later...
We always go to the arcades and there has never been high usage, probably because the games are pricey. We easily spend $100 in the arcade with 2 boys. You can use any S&S card with a CC authorized/positive balance (or add a certain amount each day at guest services) and you can combine points for the rewards to get one big prize or split one card up into smaller amounts.

Can someone elaborate a bit more on this for me....

New to cruising, so I need the "dummies book/terminology" on how to do this for my 10 and 12 yr old. I wasnt planning on giving them charging rights on their S&S card....

We sail Aug 23 on Dream - THANK YOU!!!

New to cruising, so I need the "dummies book/terminology" on how to do this for my 10 and 12 yr old. I wasnt planning on giving them charging rights on their S&S card....

If you don't give them charging privileges (which at that age I totally understand), then you would need to be there. The price for one game is 2-3 dollars each....I think. It adds up super fast, especially since you're just swiping a card. It's not like tokens where you can easily see how much you've spent

Edited by ladygal4.4

Thank you Lady....you are completely right, tokens is easier for them to understand their limits...and its more my 10 yr old son for this. We can spend some bonding time at the arcade together and I can be the one at fault for spending too much!! :D

Thank you for the info!

We do not give our teen son charging privileges. He takes his own cash to the guest services desk & adds it to his own S&S card. If he does not use it all, then at the end of the cruise, he goes back & gets the cash off of it.

This is how we handle the arcade with our 12 yr old (worked great on our cruise this past new years eve on the Liberty)...

We gave him charging privilege's on his S & S card (although he was never allowed to run the ship or be anywhere alone, we could sit outside the arcade and have a drink or read or whatever and he could play games) BUT told him we put a limit on his card of $25 dollars a day. Once he ran through his $25 he was done for the day.

This provided us with several safeguards, 1) he honestly thought his card would be turned off at the limit amount (yes 12 yr olds can count but he would do the math and stop just short of the $25), so no overspending on our S & S acct 2) he had to plan his visits to the arcade very carefully, we told him no more than 2x's a day, he typically choose 1 time a day (right after dinner as we ate at 6:00 seating) and could relax and spend his $25 all at once 3) this managed expectations for everyone and we did not have to listen to him ask if we or when would we stop at arcade as we let him decide and then stick to the plan, it worked beautifully

We will do the same thing on our cruise that leaves in 5 days :D as well, he is already trying to decide what time of day will be his "arcade" time....;)

We do not give our teen son charging privileges. He takes his own cash to the guest services desk & adds it to his own S&S card. If he does not use it all, then at the end of the cruise, he goes back & gets the cash off of it.

This is an excellent idea; our kids think money grows on trees. I will have them do jobs to earn cash for the arcade so they can decide if they want to put it on their cards to use at the arcade or for sodas (which we don't normally authorize), or to take into port for souvenirs. In the past, we have put a large chunk on their cards up front and they spent it in one day. Last time, we put $25 on a couple of different days. If we are with them, we will use our cards. It's a hassle to go to Guest Services each time you want to add money on the child's card, but with children it may be an ideal time to do some financial education with them. The machines will simply deny them once they run out of funds.