Does anyone carry shears while snorkeling?

Jonx6

caution, I used to carry a blunt nose dive knife and packed it in my shipped bag. It caused all kinds of trouble w/security on our last cruise in Jan departing from Puerto Rico. You may want to search for my post re dive knifes and security w/lack of communications.

caution, I used to carry a blunt nose dive knife and packed it in my shipped bag. It caused all kinds of trouble w/security on our last cruise in Jan departing from Puerto Rico. You may want to search for my post re dive knifes and security w/lack of communications.

Thanks for the heads up. It was threads like yours that lead me to the shears idea in the first place. Do you carry any emergency tools while snorkeling?

Shears are great for scuba diving, but I can't imagine that you would need them if you were just snorkeling. Actually, several Caribbean dive locations forbid knives on dives. The Caribbean there really is very little need for a cutting tool as entanglement isn't a real issue.

This post is to no one in particular. It’s just kind of a musing, (to use a Peggy Hill term.)

I am a firefighter who was on our water rescue team for about 3 years. Whether surface or subsurface, swift or still water we always carried tools, for obvious reasons.

When I started looking into skin diving for my boys, my wife, and myself, I assumed that some small shears or a knife were a regular part of the equipment. But, I have come to learn it is not. People seem to carry emergency equipment while diving but not while snorkeling. In my mind this seems backwards for a couple reasons,

a)Snorkeling is often done close to shore in the very same areas that fishing is done in. While Diving is often done farther out in less fishing intense location.

And;

b)An entanglement while diving is less dangerous because you have a little time to work yourself out of a bad spot before you run out of air. However, with snorkeling you have scant seconds with which to clear yourself.

Now, I understand the obvious that Scuba gear itself is the cause of many entanglements, (Us firemen have the same problem with our SCBA gear, btw. Try to imagine how many wires and cables are in the ceiling of most buildings, with networking and what not) and without it you are less likely to caught up without the gear. But even with that, it seems weird to me to not carry a small tools to help with lines and leaders while in a IDLH (water) atmosphere with no breathing air.

Just a thought…

Flame away! (I'll go get my bunker coat on.) ;)

Archived