senior trip

italiancapreta

Hey guys, its my first time planning a cruise. I am 17 years old and I am planning on going on a cruise this April. I have no idea wat to do. I have tons of questions, so if any of you guys could help me, I would appreciate it greatly.

1. CAN you go on a cruise if your under 18, if you have your parents "yes", and if some of the people that you are going on it with are 18?

2. What cruise line has the best night life? Keep in mind were seniors and were looking for a good time!

3. When should you book your flight to get to the port place? Like a day before or a few hours?

Thankyou.

1. CAN you go on a cruise if your under 18, if you have your parents "yes", and if some of the people that you are going on it with are 18? You need to check with the diferent cruise lines. Most do not allow those under 21 to cruise alone without someone 25 or older. Suggest you check Princess as they may be one of the few who do allow 18 year olds to cruise alone. Mom and dad's written permission does not matter. In any situation, if you are under 18 you will need someone who is over 25 with you.

2. What cruise line has the best night life? Keep in mind were seniors and were looking for a good time! This is very subjective. From reading on these boards you should be able to figure out that some lines cater to older folks who are more sedate and some lines cater to those that really want to have fun. But with the age restriction, you may be stuck with what you get. Also, be advised, drinking ages are strictly enforced at 21 on most lines.

3. When should you book your flight to get to the port place? Like a day before or a few hours? Most on these boards would suggest getting in to the port you embark on the day before to avoid any possible flight delays on the day of embarkation.

A possible option for you would be a land based trip where there are less restrictions as far as age goes, i.e. the Bahamas or Cancun. Just remember that Natalee Holloway was on one of these when she disappeared.

Good luck!

You will have a hard time finding a cruise line to book the type of trip you're planning. Most cruise lines will not allow anyone under 21 to book unless there is someone 25 or over booked into each cabin. Then, a waiver is signed by the over 25 person to be responsible for you. On a couple of lines, parents can sign to have their 18-20 year olds consume wine and beer.

Unless you are able to find a chaperone for each cabin, you may be out of luck.

Whatever you choose to do, please be careful.

1. NO, you cannot go on any cruise line if you're under 18. Most cruise lines say you must be 21 to cruise without a parent or guardian. If you're 18 to 20, you must have a guardian age 25 or older in the cabin with you. Even if your parents give you permission to cruise and you're under 18, it won't matter, you won't be able to cruise. Plus your parents must have notorized letters giving the adults in your group permission to take you out of the country and make emergency decisions for you.

2. Best night life is Carnival or RCCI, but they both have age 21 to cruise without parents. Only Disney (not fun for teens and no nightlife and very expensive), Princess (for older cruisers and again not much nightlife) and Windjammer allow you to cruise alone at 18.

3. You can fly in the day before or the day of the cruise. If you fly in the day before you have the added expense of a hotel and transportation to and from the airport/hotel/ship.

If you're not 18 or 21, you cannot drink alcohol on the ship---some cruise lines have an age of 18 to drink and some are 21. And then it's only wine or beer, and on some lines your parents have to be there to sign a drinking waiver.

From the looks of it, you will have to plan a trip that's not on a cruise ship.

Ok, let's assume you found a cruise line that works for you. The next question is where to go? Some cruise lines will add on a bus trip instead of a plane trip if you are close enough. We live in Maryland and added a bus trip on ($69 per person roundtrip) to NYC to sail to Bermuda. I'm guessing you'd rather do Cancun or some other place that is where spring-breakers go. Ok, have you considered prices? That alone might make you change your mind on a cruise. Besides the actual price of the cruise, some lines (Carnival is one) will automatically add tipping onto your bill at the end of the cruise. They might take as much as 10%. Celebrity just gave you a form and you put in how much you wanted to tip each group (i.e. the waiters at your table, the room stewards, etc.) Then you have any off ship expenses such as a bus trip from the port to a beach. This can really add to your expenses. Once again, if in Mexico, it might be more affordable. I'm not trying to tell you not to cruise, just to let you know what to expect. I'm sure others on these message boards will remember some of the other unexpected fees & expenses you'll encounter. Oh, like transportation from the airport to the ship, once again another fee. I hope you get it worked out and can go. If not, once you are 25, you'll have something to look forward to.

I checked this persons profile, their birthdate indicates they are 21, not 17. They came on to post this same question in 2 places and have not returned. I'm not calling anyone names, but you do have to take some of these things into consideration. I would not take the question too seriously.

If you are serious, please come back and respond to the people who have tried to help you.

You guys, thankyou for responding. This is my sisters memership. I AM 17. Thank you for giving me all that information. I had no idea all those things you had to go though. I appreciate it alot. I think I wuold be better off going somewhere else. I will try for princess cruises a bit more. Thanks again for spending time to answer my questions, and have fun on your future cruises. Once I turn 21, I'll go on one!! :rolleyes:

I hope what you choose to do is a fun, safe trip. It's too bad that past groups of youths have pretty much ruined the opportunity for the good kids to enjoy a cruise with friends.

Thank you for coming back and responding, when a person comes here with new, provacative posts, some of us do wonder if they are just trying to make trouble. It doesn't sound like you were doing that, now.

I hope what you choose to do is a fun, safe trip. It's too bad that past groups of youths have pretty much ruined the opportunity for the good kids to enjoy a cruise with friends.

Thank you for coming back and responding, when a person comes here with new, provacative posts, some of us do wonder if they are just trying to make trouble. It doesn't sound like you were doing that, now.

What was so provacative about his/her post? It sounds like she was just asking a simple question just like everyone else on this board does. Its a shame that some people on these boards decide to get judgemental instead of just offering honest unbiased advice. What if it was this girl or boy's parent that had posted here and asked if their child could go on a cruise at 18 alone? I wonder if the response would have been different. :confused:

Youngtraveladdict, I see you only registered here this month. I've been on these boards for several years and believe me, some questions, no matter how inoocently asked, become provacative. I'm not being judgemental at all, I've just seen it happen too many times over the years!

I happen to think that travel is a wonderful way to help young people become more mature and understanding of the way the world works. Unfortunately, a senior trip without chaperones can turn into a disaster and cruise lines have learned this lesson the hard way. It's not that recent, either, I worked in the hospitality industry 30 years ago and we put limitations on youth parties even back then.

No, the response would not have been the same if the parents asked, the rules remain the same. It's a business decision, based on experience.

Archived