QM2 short cruise: my day to day activities

nuekruizer

Just back from the short cruise 7/30-8/4/15 to Halifax and Boston. We were booked in cabin 10034 (Princess Grill/handicapped) arrived at 12 noon and were in our cabin with luggage before 1:00. I asked the steward for an armchair for the balcony and goose down pillows for the bed which were promptly provided. The weather was overcast with light rain upon arrival. We immediately headed to the grill restaurant to check out our table for two. After a lovely relaxing lunch complemented by a bottle of Claude Val Blanc and taking photos about the ship, we donned our lifevests and headed to Kings Court for the brief muster drill. Prior to dinner, we had martinis in the Commodore club ( I had a delicious martini made with rubarb puree a "Russian ? the name escapes me). The waiter said I was the first person that he ever knew ordered it! Met several lovely and world travelled people from the UK, who had previously boarded from Southampton and were headed back after this cruise. After attending the Three Tenors show at 10:30, we retired to our cabin, and although there was torrential rain. booming thunder and lightning, sailing seemed amazingly smooth this night and every night thereafter.

( my Friday schedule coming up next):)

Day 2 Friday 7/31 short cruise: Wonderful daily programme today at sea and had difficulty trying to fit in so many activities. Had to set clock forward one hour. At 9:00 sharp I headed to the Concierge Lounge on Deck 9 to pick up tickets for the Planetarium. Warning: tickets go fast!After breakfast, there was the 10:00 lecture by Harry Strong, oceanographer, on "One Ocean", followed by speaker Ken Walsh ( White House Correspondent) at 11:00. After our elegant grill lunch, we attended the Planetarium show: Passport to the universe". At 3;30 there was another lecture on the solar system by Sheila Kanani of the Royal Astrological Society. Unfortunately we missed afternoon tea, however upon checking in at 4:45 to the Concierge Lounge to review our bill, we were delighted to see tea sandwiches and gasp! those "to die for "scones and clotted cream still being provided each day even after 4:30.

The evening show: Crazy in Love" was a fun tribute to the 70's and 80's and most entertaining. This being formal night, we stopped in to the 175 Ball, with some outstanding dancers, around 10:30. Lastly we stopped in at Sir Samuels for iced lattes which were delicious (they are open till 12:00). Finally collapsed into bed for the night with smooth sailing, to awaken to the most beautiful day and fabulous trip to Peggys Cove in Halifax!

God forbid! Spelling errors abound when you write at midnight!

Saturday we arrived in Halifax around 7;00 AM. I had selected the coastal bus tour to Peggys Cove as the tour director on Cunard explained that the bus could accommodate my walker. The sun came out and it was a glorious day. The tour was very informative as we drove along the coast to Peggys Cove and back thru the town of Halifax. Peggys Cove was quite impressive with the bagpiper playing near the lighthouse. I would highly recommend this trip. We arrived right back at the ship before noon and had a chance to shop in the terminal filled with local Nova Scotia vendors. I purchased several books of local interest.

Returning to the restaurant, I dined on crab cakes with cucumber salsa, egg and corn soup, and key lime pie (all delicious). After lunch I explored the vast library and bookstore. The library is the best at sea and beautifully laid out with several nooks and crannies including a lovely secluded "quiet area". ( I skipped the sailaway party and opted for the solitude of the library). At dinner, my appetiser was the beef and red wine ravioli in a butter sauce, entrees for myself and companion included the speck crusted sea scallops and lamb chops followed by the chocolate mousse cake. The scallops were fair however companion raved about the lamb chops. (My recommendations for entrees would include the beef rossini, anything salmon, and rack of lamb.) Our wine selection was a full bodied Carmenere Reserva, Chile. We enjoyed harpist Fiona McGee in the Queens Lounge. The show this evening was comedian John Joseph, who was hilarious (just dont sit in the front row!). I opted to skip the Masquerade ball and checked out the shops. I was disapointed in the variety of products offerred which were of poor quality and overpriced.(other than Hermes, etc which are out of my price range). Had a late night coffee at sir samuels before retiring to our cabin to enjoy the evening on our deck.