Need help with Ft Lauderdale to Miami transport

Gypsea

Arriving by plane to FLL (12/3 Zenith) cuz that's where Southwest flies but need to get to the hotel in Miami for our pre-cruise night. Any ideas for car/shuttle service and/or hotel? I am thinking of staying at the Sheraton. Has anyone been there? Is it too far from the pier for easy access? I really would like a decent nights lodging. Suggestions close to pier, anyone?

More importantly would be an affordable method of transport to Miami.

Thanks in advance Celebrity fans,

Rita

Hi, Rita - Can't make suggestions for hotels in MIA, but we've dealt with the transportation issue several times since we can fly in to Miami on a better schedule from the west coast, but then sail out of FLL. We've always ended up taking a taxi from MIA to FLL, for $60+, but we have found that there is the option of Tri-rail between the airports. It's never worked for us because we arrive too late at night to catch a train. If you're arriving earlier, and don't mind taking a shuttle from the airport to the train station, then the fare for your train trip would be just $5 or so to FLL. Once at the other station, then take a cab for a much lower fare locally.

If you don't want to schlep your luggage from shuttle to train to cab, in the alternative, call the car rental agencies and see about picking up a car at FLL, drive to your hotel in Miami, and return the car the next day after dropping off your SO and luggage at the cruise terminal. Between the various south Florida airports there's usually not a drop-off fee, but make sure of that in advance!

Thanks Brucemcdou, that sounds pretty reasonable. The cab is about the same as the car services by the time gratuity is considered, $77 each way. This is exactly what I was looking for. Otherwise flying Southwest turns out to be less of a deal.

The airports have schttle services.

When I flew into Miami a few years back there was a service called Super Schuttle. Big blue vans.

They charged about $35.00 per to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale from the Miami airport.

They were to pick my wife and I up at the pier in Ft. Lauderdale - Port Everglades - after the trip. They did not show.

I picked up a local for $25.00 per to take us back to the airport.

There should be similar services from the Ft. Lauderdale airport into Miami.

You could google the airports to see what services run from there.

but the price is higher to bring it back to Miami airport, still a deal at $50. This works best to get to the hotel for our our pre-night. We then just have to get from the airport in Miami to pier. We could take the Celeb transfer but what about a cab? It would probably be easier but is it more than $24, the price of cruiseline transfer for two? Other alternative is staying at FLL airport hotel and going back to the FLL airport for Celeb transfer. In which case, what are the airport hotels like there? This should be easier.

Sheraton (downtown) Miami is a nice hotel. I have also stayed at Marriott or Doubletree at Biscayne Bay (or is it Blvd?) and liked both. If you are looking for real luxury consider Conrad or Mandarin Oriental.

Miami is always fun:)

I was thinking Sheraton FLL by the airport that people seem to loooove and just returning to the airport via shuttle for Celeb transfers the next day. Is the Sheraton in Miami a great distance from the pier? did you taxi from there?

Found that it is better to just rent a car from Hertz at the airport and drive to Miami, a nice drive along the coast. There is a drop off for Hertz right by the port. We dropped the girls off with their luggage at the pier and then dropped the car off to Hertz. They have a free shuttle that will take you back to the pier.

All in all we thought that worked out the best for us.

Ron&Betty

Archived