Are you really telling me no Anguilla on a port day? I don't believe it.

MattInFLL

Karysa - there is no optional add on. I would either need to rent a car or grab a cab tour on my own.

Tuliplvr - last night I spent some time watching youtube videos of drives through and around both islands. I think I do have to agree that if I'm not going to take a few hours to relax on a beach chair with my favorite adult beverage(s), St Barths is the more visually interesting place.

So I think that seals the deal. It will be St Barths. Maybe I will rent a Jeep from Turbe car rental.

Thanks for all the input.

Karysa - there is no optional add on. I would either need to rent a car or grab a cab tour on my own.

Tuliplvr - last night I spent some time watching youtube videos of drives through and around both islands. I think I do have to agree that if I'm not going to take a few hours to relax on a beach chair with my favorite adult beverage(s), St Barths is the more visually interesting place.

So I think that seals the deal. It will be St Barths. Maybe I will rent a Jeep from Turbe car rental.

Thanks for all the input.

Perhaps there will be someone on your roll call or on the tour that would like to split a jeep with you. Enjoy:)

• 3 weeks later...
We stayed on St. Martin for a week in April and took the ferry over to Anguilla one day. We were on one of the morning ferries (9:45, I think) from Marigot. The process of checking in (two steps, so two lines), waiting in the terminal, and boarding took about 25 minutes. The ride over took 20-25 minutes the day we went. I wish I had known before we went that there are different sizes/types of ferries! The boat we boarded was small and very low in the water. The passengers sat at water level in a mostly enclosed area. I'm very prone to motion sickness and had taken 2 Bonine (vs. my standard 1) that morning as a precaution. Didn't matter -- about 15 minutes in I started to feel sick and within a minute or two had passed out. Not fun!

Once we docked in Anguilla (and I had recovered a bit), we lined up to go through customs. That took about 15 minutes. There was a taxi stand outside and we were very quickly pointed to a van to take our group of 7 to Shoal Bay. We got a really nice driver (I'll see if I can find his card at home) who gave us a narrated tour of the island and gave us some priceless advice regarding the ride back to SXM. He recommended that we take the 5:15 ferry because it is a much larger boat with open air seating on top. I'm not sure whether that boat runs at other times (I'm guessing it does) and have so far been unable to find that information online. It took us about 20 minutes to get to Shoal Bay -- not sure how direct our route was since none of us had ever been to the island.

My seasickness issues aside, I don't think I'd attempt to go to Anguilla while on a cruise stop unless the ship was going to be in port for a l-o-n-g time. Even then, I'm not sure whether I'd want to. There was a lot of transportation involved, as well as a lot of lining up and waiting. There's already enough of that on a cruise, IMO!

One thing I would consider doing is going to Pinel Island for the day. All you have to do is take a taxi to Cul-de-Sac and then either take a very short, calm ferry ride or kayak to Pinel. We kayaked (there is a great rental place at the water's edge in Cul-de-Sac: http://www.caribbeanpaddling.com/) and it took us about 20 minutes to kayak across. We absolutely loved Pinel. The water was amazingly clear, with none of the seaweed that we encountered in parts of Orient Beach. We ate lunch at Karibuni and loved it.

Hi Lisa – My husband and I wanted to paddle board to Pinel Island, but heard it could be difficult to get a taxi back to the ship. What is your experience with that? How long a drive was it to Caribbean Paddling from the ship? Thank you for any help!

Xenia

Matt,

I was away (on a cruise, of course) and missed this entire discussion until it just popped back up, but with St. Barths settled as a destination you might also consider flying over from Juliana.

WinAir flights go over frequently and should run about $200 +/-, return. 15 minutes in the air.

I've seen car rentals for something like a KIA available for well under $40 (it is off season).

The Royal website says to take SeaPass and a photo id, but I'm fairly certain that a passport has been required on our visits to SBH. Never had the thrill of flying in, though.

If you make it over and can get there I would love a report on the current status of Shell Beach. The beach itself and the concessions there.

gary

Hi Lisa – My husband and I wanted to paddle board to Pinel Island, but heard it could be difficult to get a taxi back to the ship. What is your experience with that? How long a drive was it to Caribbean Paddling from the ship? Thank you for any help!

Xenia

Hi Xenia. We had a driver who had been driving us around all week, so we felt 100% confident he would come back for us. When we've been on cruises, we've asked the taxi driver who drove us to our destination to come back for us at a designated time. We've done this 5 or 6 times and the driver has always come back. You might consider calling or e-mailing Caribbean Paddling and asking if they could call a taxi for you in a pinch. Or you could just have a couple of phone numbers ready and call yourselves just before you leave Pinel. Good luck!

Hi Xenia. We had a driver who had been driving us around all week, so we felt 100% confident he would come back for us. When we've been on cruises, we've asked the taxi driver who drove us to our destination to come back for us at a designated time. We've done this 5 or 6 times and the driver has always come back. You might consider calling or e-mailing Caribbean Paddling and asking if they could call a taxi for you in a pinch. Or you could just have a couple of phone numbers ready and call yourselves just before you leave Pinel. Good luck!

Lisa, can you tell me how much the taxi ride is from the ship to Caribbean paddling? I think you said it takes about 30 mins. should we plan on a longer ride back do to traffic and did you make reservations in advance? thanks Gail

Wouldn't it be easier to go via the Grand Case airport. That would be France to France. Also you would need to be at the airport 1:30 prior to take off at PJA at least. It's a short flight so you will make up some time there I guess.

I could not imagine trusting two planes to be on time with a ship on the line. The ship has an excursion. This is one ships excursion that I would seriously consider.

One thing I would consider doing is going to Pinel Island for the day. All you have to do is take a taxi to Cul-de-Sac and then either take a very short, calm ferry ride or kayak to Pinel. We kayaked (there is a great rental place at the water's edge in Cul-de-Sac: http://www.caribbeanpaddling.com/) and it took us about 20 minutes to kayak across. We absolutely loved Pinel. The water was amazingly clear, with none of the seaweed that we encountered in parts of Orient Beach. We ate lunch at Karibuni and loved it.

Great information! Thanks!:)

A few additional questions:

How long is the taxi ride from the Philipsburg cruise port to Cul-de-Sac?

Cost of taxi ride? We have a party of 3.

Are there clean restrooms with regular flush toilets on Pinel or are they outhouse/porta-potty style?

Thanks!

Edit:

Oops--Just read further into the thread. I see that you were staying on the island and weren't on a cruise. Still any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by alreadypacked

For those wondering about the length and price of the taxi ride from dock to Cul de Sac, I'm sorry I can't be more help. We were staying on the island in Orient Bay, so we were much closer. You could try checking their reviews on TripAdvisor and/or contacting Caribbean Paddling directly via their web site.

Re: the restrooms on Pinel, we rented beach chairs in front of Karibuni and used their restroom. It was a bit rustic, but I didn't mind since I was in paradise!

Thank you, Lisa, that's a good idea. I think Caribbean Paddling recommends a taxi, so I'll use that one.

Great information! Thanks!:)

A few additional questions:

How long is the taxi ride from the Philipsburg cruise port to Cul-de-Sac?

Cost of taxi ride? We have a party of 3.

Are there clean restrooms with regular flush toilets on Pinel or are they outhouse/porta-potty style?

Thanks!

Edit:

Oops--Just read further into the thread. I see that you were staying on the island and weren't on a cruise. Still any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I've been researching this also. I think the taxi is about a 25-30 minute ride from the cruise port and that it would be about $30 each way. I used the chart here: http://taxistmaarten.com/zones-rates/

The rates are 2014.

Xenia

Hi! I've been researching this also. I think the taxi is about a 25-30 minute ride from the cruise port and that it would be about $30 each way. I used the chart here: http://taxistmaarten.com/zones-rates/

The rates are 2014.

Xenia

I just contacted the taxi service that Caribbean Padding recommended and cost was $25 round trip from port to caribbean padding. theresahelligar@yahoo.com If you have 8 or more going it is $20/person R.T.

I just contacted the taxi service that Caribbean Padding recommended and cost was $25 round trip from port to caribbean padding. theresahelligar@yahoo.com If you have 8 or more going it is $20/person R.T.

Is Caribbean Paddle operating at present? I felt so bad for them last month with the horrendous seaweed issues that have been plaguing the Cul de Sac. There was 30 feet if not more of seaweed at the shore of the beach. The smell was awful waiting for the ferry. Pinel Island was in great shape though and there was no seaweed or bad smell over there.

I thought I read somewhere that you cannot fly from Juliana to st Barths. That you can only do that if you are connecting from another flight ? So you have to use the other airport. But I will check it out.

Matt,

Where you at?

gary

Wouldn't it be easier to go via the Grand Case airport. That would be France to France. Also you would need to be at the airport 1:30 prior to take off at PJA at least. It's a short flight so you will make up some time there I guess.

I could not imagine trusting two planes to be on time with a ship on the line. The ship has an excursion. This is one ships excursion that I would seriously consider.

Gary would you fly to St Bart's on a regular cruise day ( night stay over not included ) if your ship had an excursion going there?

Note that restaurants do not close at lunchtime in Saint Barth. Only shops do. The French head to restaurants.

Your best bet is indeed to rent a car, and have lunch on a beach (Flammands, St Jean, Grand Cul de Sac) or near a beach (Salines). You will see the real Saint Barth.

• 1 month later...

BACK TO SQUARE ONE - Royal Caribbean sent me an email, and "due to operations issues" they have cancelled the shore excursion to St Barths. :(

I called in and it seems the operator is pulling out or they just didn't have enough people.

I'm not risking that ferry schedule on my own, so I guess it's back to the Anguilla trip. At least those ferries run all day....