April 2006 Transatlantic

transatlantic fan

Just wanted to know if anyone has booked for one of the transatlantic crossings in April 2006 yet.

Will be very interesting to here your views on the new terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn and what you think about the way the Qm2 will arrive and leave in to the new terminal, and how long it will take to get to Manhattan from the Pier.

I have not booked yet (will never, ever book early ever again), but am considering going on this crossing. We would be coming from New Hampshire, which is on the Brooklyn side, so in theory it might be easier - but that is a trivial gain compared to losing the Manhattan sailaway. I hate that Carnival made this decision to go to Brooklyn, but it seems like one of those corporate decisions and I get the feeling that customer complaints on this subject are received in their ears as "blah blah blah blah" while they roll their eyes.

Paul: why won't you book early?
They discount their cabins as time goes on and make the early bookers (suckers) work hard just to get equity to the sales prices. Because we are four in a cabin, there are limited cabins that can accommodate such an arrangement, further complicating the effort. I found the whole booking experience worse than buying a car from a shady car salesman, and still ended up paying more an outside cabin than what people were paying for balcony staterooms. I did get us an upgrade to an outside cabin, which was very nice, and I had a great time on the crossing, but the fact remained that I had paid much, much more than I would have if I had not booked early. That is just the summary level; I do not want to relive the details of my phone calls with the reservations office to try and get equity.

• 1 month later...

:) Have booked April 2pth and cannot wait. A great way to start a trip to England. We have booked a GTD inside fingers crossed for an upgrade if it happenes. If it does not that's life. You get what you pay for:)

Archived