Maui on our own

pbinn

OK, beachchick, you talked me out of the road to Hana. Everything you said made sense. We WILL be out of Lahaina. Now could you play trip advisor and maybe give me an intinerary that you think a first time visitor should follow. Thanks for any help.

Oh, oh...I hope you don't regret foregoing Hana. (However, it simply means that after you fall in love with Maui, you will have to come back for a land trip and then spend one of your days enjoying the drive and the scenery.:D )

Let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you enjoy beach activities (either lounging or active, such as snorkeling)? Do you prefer "upscale" places or more laid back? Are you interested in places that are considered unusual to us mainlanders (e.g., Tedeschi winery or Haleakala)? What physical activity level do you prefer?

Now, even before you answer those, I'll start with a few suggestions.

If you want a day that is part beach and part exploring, you might consider Haleakala early (it really is quite a sight; just be aware that, as with all things, the weather may be perfect or not). Then go to Ka'anapali (you can be as lazy or as active as you like), and it's close to Lahaina.

If you have a rental car anyway, you might go across the island early and see Iao Needle or drive upcountry and over to Tedeschi (BTW, the views on the drive upcountry are wonderful). You could stop at Kula Lodge for a beverage or lunch. If you have kids with you or if you don't have really good public aquariums nearby, you might take in Maui Ocean Center. Many people love it. This would be especially good if you do not snorkel or dive.

There's also Maui Tropical Plantation. I cannot recommend the tram tour. We've never done it and have no interest--too commerical for our tastes. But, the shop has some fun island food products you can take home (and pineapple ice cream of course). We always stop for some island sauces, Lehua honey, alaea salt, and such.

There are many, many good places for snorkeling on the west and south. You can also spend a bit of time just wandering Lahaina. It's a fun little town, IMO. (We always stay at the Plantation Inn, so we spend lots of time around Lahaina.)

If you want a snorkel excursion, go in the morning. The afternoons are not as good; the winds kick up and often the boats can't go where planned (that's one reason afternoon trips are less expensive). There are several types, so I'd need to know your personal "style" before suggesting any possible options.

Well, I guess that's a start. Let me (us; there are so many knowledgeable people on this board) know what you like, and I (we) will be happy to try to help.

(Gypsy509: As you are from Florida, I strongly suggest you consider Haleakala. You won't see anything like it at home. It's really amazing, and since you have 2 days, you could do it early your second day. I don't always recommend it if someone only has one short day because there is soooo much else to do. Plus, cruises usually stop in Hilo, so Volcanoes National Park is always an option. Haleakala and VNP are completely different, but if there's only one day in Maui AND the cruise stops in Hilo, I typically suggest other activities for Maui and as much of the day as possible at VNP on the Big Island. Hope that helps clarify what I mean. You're right: So much Hawaii; so little time...well, you know what that means, don't you? Return trip!;) )

Aloha all, and have a wonderful time.

beachchick

Archived