Booking question from a newbie

Questions for all you experienced cruisers:

We are ready to book for the July 9 2016 Med cruise from Barcelona on the Vista. There are 9 of us in 3 staterooms (6 adults, 3 kids). We all travel frequently domestically but are inexperienced at international travel, and this is the first cruise for everyone. We are looking at booking a suite plus two balcony rooms. It's a family vacation for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and we're all very excited.

Wondering is there are benefits/disadvantages in booking through a TA vs calling Carnival vs booking online?

Also, does anyone know if we can take advantage of the early embarkation as a group even though the suite will be only one of our three rooms?

Thanks!

Only the folks in the suite will have early embarkation.

The other folks can buy Faster To The Fun which will show up as an excursion in the embarkation port.

It allows early embarkation and cabins ready when you board. It allows early debarkation and going to tenders(if you have any tender ports) at any time you wish instead of needing to line up to get a number.

It also allows a special line at guest services.

In fact, even though we have a suite booked on our next cruise we also bought FTTF so that our cabin would be ready when we board and for some of the other perks.

I would use a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner (PVP). You will have the personal interaction as with a TA and still have access to your booking online. If you book through an independent TA, all of your communication with Carnival has to be through the TA, Carnival will not talk to you directly.

PVP through Carnival. Like an earlier poster said, if you use a TA and have a problem with your booking either before or after you are onboard, you will have to contact your TA. I had this happen to me once. I was standing at the Guest Services desk on the phone with my travel agency trying to resolve a problem that Guest Services could have handled directly if I had made the booking directly through Carnival.

If you are doing anything besides cruising I would definitely go with a highly recommended TA who specializes in overseas travel. A Carnival rep (PVP) could only handle the cruise, cruise chosen air fare, cruise chosen ground transportation etc. You would be left to handle these on your own if you didn't want to pay the higher fares the cruise line charges.

Boarding in Europe is rarely the dog eat dog affair that happens at many US ports. I wouldn't waste my money on FTTF nor would I worry about "early" embarkation.

PVP through Carnival. Like an earlier poster said, if you use a TA and have a problem with your booking either before or after you are onboard, you will have to contact your TA. I had this happen to me once. I was standing at the Guest Services desk on the phone with my travel agency trying to resolve a problem that Guest Services could have handled directly if I had made the booking directly through Carnival.

I don't understand why you had a problem with Guest Services especially since you were sailing at the time. Your travel agency should not have to be involved once you're on the cruise unless the travel agency made an error in which case Guest Services could have intervened still. I hope you got your issue resolved.

I would recommend a TA as this is a new travel experience for all of you. Just be sure to find an experienced one that comes highly recommended.

We booked our first two or three cruises with a TA, but then switched to a PVP when we felt more confident that we knew what we were doing.