Venice Question (hotels in area and where dock is located), going on Oct 8 cruise

Gauchos98

My wife and I are going the MSC Opera Oct 8 cruise out of Venice.

wondering if anyone who has been on this cruise had any tips on good hotels in the area that i should look into.

Also where is the dock the cruise boat leaves out of in comparision to touristy venice area (the island)?

Thanks in advance.

there's some maps and info here http://www.vtp.it/Default.jsp?language=1 but basically you can catch a watertaxi right outside the cruise terminal that takes you to St Marks Square. it's a 20 minute ride and costs 5 euro. I haven't stayed in Venice as we sailed on the day of arrival and departure. I have seen several hotels in Venice though, recall a Best Western right in the middle somewhere, you could try alpharooms.com ?

By the way, Opera is fantastic, we sailed it a couple of weeks ago.

I've been back a week now from the Opera - too long - it was fantastic!

If you want ease of access above all else I can recommend the hotel I stayed in. It was on the corner of Piazalle Roma, right next to a main vaporetto stop, from where you can go anywhere in Venice, and a short walk or one hop on the vaporetto from the station. The airport bus dropped me right at the door and as I almost bumped into the MSC transfer coach as i checked out of the hotel.

The drawbacks: my single room was tiny, about 8 foot square(!), Piazalle Roma can get noisy with buses and coaches and the vaporettos were also noisy. P. Roma, as the last place you can get to by surface transport isn't very attractive and the vaporetto (no. 82 is quickest) takes about 25 minutes to get to St Mark's Square, however the journey along the length of the Grand Canal is amazing. A lot of rooms, mine included, had a view of the Grand Canal or a side canal.

The hotel is called the Santa Chiara and i booked through www.ryanairhotels.com but I am sure you will also be able to find it elsewhere.

I am not too sure where the vaporetto stop is at the port if you intend to arrive by water.

The vaparetto, or water bus, is an economical and convenient way to traverse the Grand Canal. The fare is much much cheaper than a water taxi, which can run 50 euro, depending on length of trip.

May I recommend an excellent B&B, Ca' del Dose, at n.3801 Calle del Dose.

Very close to the Grand Canal and canal transportation at the San Zaccaria vaparetto stop, and only a few minutes by foot from St. Mark's Square.

The proprietors speak english are are very friendly and accommodating. I paid 60euro for a beautiful single room last May.

www.cadeldose.com

Have a great time!

Kyle

Archived