Narrowing down plans!!!!

RN7997

We are cruising this Saturday and have been dragging feet to book a hotel in Seattle precruise. My hubby has a work thing on Friday (touring the Kenworth Plant) and the people he is traveling with for that portion of the trip booked a room for them and us at the Econolodge in Renton. I guess the Kenworth plant is in Renton too. I have several issues with this to overcome.

1) Hotel gets bad reviews

2) They do not offer a complimentary shuttle

3) We arrive at 1130 at night Seattle time

4) We need to at least be nearby this location since my hubby will be riding with them to the tour

5) Car rentals seem to be in excess of $220 total for late Thursday through Sat morning

6) Car will have to be returned and then get transfers to cruise pier.

My hope was to find a clean decent hotel with a free 24 hour shuttle, while y hubby tours I could take public railway etc into town with my teen son. Then shuttle to pier Saturday.

Any suggestions for this situation?????

Look at the Hampton Inn near Southcenter which is around halfway between the airport and the Kenworth plant. I'd imagine a taxi from there to the Econolodge would probably run around $10, but it wouldn't be terribly far out of the way for his co-workers to pick him up on the way to/from the plant - maybe an extra 10 min. in both cases.

The Hampton Inn has a shuttle (they say it's "on call," so I'd phone them when I'm waiting for the luggage) that you could use from the airport (or else around $15 for a cab). The next morning you could use the hotel's shuttle to take you to the light rail stop back at the airport or the International Blvd. station (a bit closer) for you to head into town.

Just checking, but it looks like Alamo would rent you a car for an early morning pickup at Seatac on Friday and a drop off in downtown Seattle on Saturday afternoon for around $133.

Wow thank you so much! I called. They only had one room left and it was a king room only. We are a family of 4 and I have a 6 ft 2 teen con...lol. Any other ideas??
Look for any hotels in Tukwila and/or the Southcenter Mall area that have shuttles to/from the airport. Those are much closer to the Kenworth plant than the hotels right along SR 99 across from the airport.

Leaving tomorrow and this isn't sorted. I have a hold on a car at Alamo....they will allow me to pick up 24 hours (so I can get it when I arrive late), return to the downtown location and will shuttle me to the pier. My question is I will have the car Friday to get around to sight see with my son....how convenient is it driving and parking in seattle????

Leaving tomorrow and this isn't sorted. I have a hold on a car at Alamo....they will allow me to pick up 24 hours (so I can get it when I arrive late), return to the downtown location and will shuttle me to the pier. My question is I will have the car Friday to get around to sight see with my son....how convenient is it driving and parking in seattle????

Everybody bellyaches about Seattle traffic, but it's not as bad as some other places. I see you live in PA; I'm a regular visitor/driver in Philly and to me Seattle's traffic is not as bad.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to specialize in all the downtown tourist attractions - Pike Place market, Space Needle, etc., then probably the smartest thing to do is find a parking garage or lot close to the market or in the middle of downtown and just park it and walk around. There are plenty of surface lots that will charge under $20 for the day. Use this handy app for guidance - http://seattle.bestparking.com/

Or, with a car you could skip the tourist crowds (for example, after around 10:30 AM the Pike Place market is horrendously crowded) and head to some other regional destinations. Visit the marvelous Museum of Flight, for example, or head 40 min. east to Snoqualmie Falls. Or watch the salmon go up the fish ladder through the under-water viewing windows at the Ballard Locks and have lunch at Chinooks at Fishermen's Terminal where the actual Alaska fishing fleet is home ported. Or drive out to West Seattle for lunch at Marination Ma Kai with its amazing view back at the Seattle waterfront, then around to Alki, with its lighthouse, beach, views of the Olympic mountains and passing ferries. There's lots to do that doesn't require you to brave the throngs and pay for parking.

Thank you for all of that great info! Yes I am only about an hour west of Philly and grew up in the suburbs about 20 min outside of southwest Philly, so I do know the traffic there. I will be by myself for the day of touring Seattle wit my son, so I wanted to make sure there would be ample parking. We are renting a full size vehicle and now that I am live in the country with my own driveway I don't have to street park much. I would have been a little uneasy about parallel parking!!! Sounds like we will have a great day with lots of options! :) Thank you again!