Sailing Past The Needles

Transatlantic Tom

Having lived on the Isle of Wight for many years..born there...the ships were stopped from using the Needles/Hurst Point route around the end of the 1990's, although some ships such as the Saga ships, World Residensea and Nordnorge still use that entry/exit into Southampton Water. Its too shallow and too expensive to dredge, which also caused problems on the shoreline erosion too. I lived 50ft from the Solent in Gurnard and the wake of some of the larger ships did alot of damage.

Tom,

Share the why with those of us who don't know.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed:

Goldryder answered the "why" beautifully !!

Yes, it was in fact an issue of both shallow water (and "the powers that be" deciding not to dredge) as well as an issue of shoreline flooding/erosion. I recieved this information from the Harbormaster in Yarmouth, but forgot to ask the "when".

My first voyage on QE2 was in 1981, an eastbound crossing, and it was a treat sailing in from the Channel, past The Needles. Upon returning to QE2 in 2003, after many years away, I was disappointed that the approach to Southampton came around the east side of the Isle of Wight, past Nab Tower, after promising my wife a view of the famous Needles !!!

(I was also disappointed by the change to early arrivals in Southampton too. Previously, it was nice to get up in the morning, have some of the day as we sailed up the Chanel and The Solent...but I gather that changed when the schedule went to the six night/five day crossing and an end to overnight stays on the Southampton end of the Atlantic ferry. HOWEVER, I am happy to make that "sacrifice" in exchange for the extra day at sea !!!! No complaints, here on that score !!! I guess we can never "have it all" !!).

Tom

Archived