PASSPORT QUESTION

seamare

I HAVE JUST BOOKED THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS FOR SEPTEMBER AND RECEIVED CONFIRMATION BACK ALSO WITH THE STATEMENT TO REMEMBER TO TAKE PASSPORT TO PIER FOR CHECK-IN. DOES PRINCESS REQUIRE PASSANGERS TO HAVE PASSPORTS???? HUSBAND HAS ONE BUT I DON'T. I GUESS I WOULD HAVE TIME TO OBTAIN ONE - WE'VE BEEN ON 8 CRUISES AND MY OLD BIRTH CERTIFICATE HAS BEEN ADEQUATE UP TILL NOW.

To my knowledge it is not required. My docs say bc&picture id,or passport. If it was required our TA would have notified us. It is a good idea to have a passport, I feel they will be mandatory soon. Having one will avoid the last minute panic

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

More and more of the Caribbean countries are requiring passports for non-cruise vistors. Cruise passengers sometimes are not required to have passports because they are "in transit". However, if something happened (such as an injury) and you had to stay behind on the island while the cruiseship left or if you had to catch a plane because of an emergency back home, you would be without the proper identification you need if you don't have a passport. Many people neglect to take this into consideration.

So, while you may not need a passport if nothing happens, in an emergency, you quite possibly will (on islands or countries that required them for land visitors). I'd get the passport just to play it safe.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Your birth certificate is just find but I have found out that it is much betteer to have a passport. It gets you through immigration and customs much faster. Three years ago my DH and I used birth certificates and it was much slower than when two years ago we got passports. Now they just wave us through. Even at the check-in at the airport in Sacramento they did not even want to see our E-tickets; just used our passport to check in. I would highly recommend getting a passport.

Marilyn

Ok well first off would you please hit that CAPS LOCK button on your keyboard one time and stop screaming at us? (It's an Internet protocol thing, kinda like wearing jeans on formal night. Nobody will say anything but everyone is thinking it)

Next, the above is great advice.

While you do NOT need one to sail on a Caribbean cruise it's a pretty darn good idea to have one.

The best reason right now to have one is, as noted above, that you breeze right through immigration and customs with it. There is simply no better form of ID.

Also, if this were going to be your one "cruise of a lifetime" and you didn't plan on traveling much later it would probably not be worth the expense to get a passport nor would it be needed to go camping at Yellowstone. But with 9 cruise behind you it's a pretty good bet you'll be cruising in the future and, to me, it's a no-brainer to have a passport. Some day you'll cruise someplace where you'll need one.

Here's more on passports and ID:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/documents_you_need

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Archived