Mediterranean Secrets

Hi, Just thinking about an October cruise and saw Med Secrets on the Dream from Oct 17th..interesting itinerary with bits we haven't done before. Anyone been? Also not been on Dream before and wondered about cabins. Fancied Deck 7 outside but standard ones are at either end and we prefer the middle. Are there any issues with these cabins please. (We went on Spirit last time with advice not to go near the back..yes, I know, stern,:D, as it is noisy.) Thanks xx

We did this itinerary in June, really enjoyed it.

The only port we had been to before was Sete so, as we won a free excursion at the port showcase[emoji4], we did The Thau Lagoon trip. Very relaxed and visited a few places around the lagoon and also a viewpoint with panoramic views over Sete, the lagoon and the Med.

We had already booked a trip to Monaco/Monte Carlo from San Remo which we also enjoyed.

In La Spezia we took a local boat trip to Portovenere for about a quarter of the cost of the similar Thomson's trip! Lovely little place.

In Elba we had intended using the tourist train but there was a huge queue so we just wandered around the harbour and old town which was where the train went anyway.

Tarragona was lovely. We took the port shuttle bus into town then the tourist train.

We have had a standard outside cabin on deck 6 on the Dream twice, 6023 and 6024 They were a very good size not much smaller than an outside plus. We were quite near the front (bow[emoji3]) and no noise except for the bow thrusters when docking in the morning.

Hope this helps.

We did the Mediterranean Secrets this summer and were in cabin 7035, which is near the front right hand side of the ship. Having previously been in an outside plus cabin on the Dream, I found there is plenty room in the standard size cabins, and wouldn't bother paying the extra for an outside plus again. We found the front of the ship was very quiet and the cabin was in an ideal location for our requirements. I like to choose a cabin very carefully, even down to which side of the ship is likely to provide the best views of the coastline as we sail past land! As for the itinerary, we found it better than we expected.

ELBA - took the small tourist train around the town and found it quite good. We went quite early and did not have to queue too long. However later on it became very busy as we saw from the cafe across the road from the pickup point, where we enjoyed a welcome refreshment before heading back to the ship.

SETE - was the only slight disappointment from our personal point of view. Although the canal area was nice enough, we didn't care for the busy traffic and didn't find much of interest in the town itself. Another passenger later told us there was a small tourist train which took you around the town, but I do not think it started operating until around 11am.

LA SPEZIA - went on Thomson's Cinque Terre excursion which was good, but for some reason it was different from the published itinerary which we had originally booked, as there was no stop at Vernazza, which is reputedly one of the most picturesque villages. Instead as I recall, there was some time spent at Manarola and Portovenere. The local tour guide was unable to explain the reason for this, but I suspect it was possibly due to changes in the ferry timetables. I did not feel the need to take it up with Thomson and just enjoyed the day's experiences. However it may be worth confirming beforehand which villages etc., are included in the trip to avoid disappointment.

SAN REMO - went on the Thomson's excursion to Monaco which turned out to be very good indeed. I was pleasantly surprised by the quaint old town area, as I did not expect it to be so picturesque. The walking tour also included a visit to the beautiful Cathedral where Princess Grace is buried.

TARRAGONA - another real gem, and for us the unexpected highlight of the cruise. It's very easy to do it yourself and there is an excellent tourist train which meanders around the town and through the narrow streets of the historical centre. It's a very compact town and the majority of the places of interest are relatively close to each other. There are also fantastic views along the seafront which provided some great photo opportunities.

We chose the Mediterranean Secrets itinerary mainly because we had quite specific departure dates, but have to say my wife and I were both very pleased we did and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the information and pics. It's particularly useful to know about cabins. Although it is late in the year we plan to book and brave the weather! Prices have come down....will they fall further with 6 weeks to go? Wish me luck!

It's easy to do the Cinque Terre independently from La Spezia. We've done it three times visiting all of the villages on different occasions. I agree GlenLivet, you were short changed in the trip you did. Vernazza is indeed the best village to spend time. My choice would be train from La Spezia to Vernazza, spend time there, ferry to Manarola, walk the Via del Amore to Riomaggiore then train back to La Spezia. All very doable in a day - get the ferry times before you go and get off early to make the most of the day. One of the best destinations we've done! If you want more advice on doing this as a DiY just ask.

It's easy to do the Cinque Terre independently from La Spezia. We've done it three times visiting all of the villages on different occasions. I agree GlenLivet, you were short changed in the trip you did. Vernazza is indeed the best village to spend time. My choice would be train from La Spezia to Vernazza, spend time there, ferry to Manarola, walk the Via del Amore to Riomaggiore then train back to La Spezia. All very doable in a day - get the ferry times before you go and get off early to make the most of the day. One of the best destinations we've done! If you want more advice on doing this as a DiY just ask.

Hi Kruzeeka - we will be back in La Spezia next June and would like to visit Vernazza by train. I would be grateful for any practical advice or tips you may be able to provide regarding this, such as;

How often do the trains run?

How are the tickets obtained (ticket office or kiosk etc.)?

How long is the journey from La Spezia to Vernazza?

How user friendly are the trains for non - Italian speakers?

I am aware it's a relatively short journey but we had a very trying 'never again' type of experience on Spanish local trains a few years ago, hence my need for reassurance! :)

Thanks

Glen

I believe La Spezia has been changed on some itineraries this year for security reasons (it's a naval base) to a port further down the coast. Sorry, I can't remember the name at the moment. Of course may be changed back by the time you go!

• 2 weeks later...
La Spezia has been changed to Maria de Carrera at the moment.

Famous for marble.

We thought there would be several outlets selling to tourists - not so, had to ask the locals and take a bus to the outskirts of the town then walk up a hillside road to find a workshop with a wee shop.

Well worth it though - prices were well below what you'd pay in a store.