Telescope & Star Watching Event?

azlew

Hello we are new here and look forward to learning as much as possible.

We read somewhere here that the PG had a event(s) that allowed use of a telescope(s) to view the stars and that the PG actually turned some light off to help in the viewing.

We imagine this is a special time !

My question to recent PG cruisers on the PG cruise in Tahiti is : does this event or events still exist?

Also on the voyage are there any star viewing telescopes onshore to use?

Another thing we would like to verify is that the PG still does not allow snorkeling right off of their in water back of ship deck? And are there two people rafts or large floaters available to use off that in water deck?

Thanks for your answers.

In 2010 and 2012 we had a stargazing night where an officer let us use a very cool optical device and it was amazing. However in 2013 and 2014 this wasn't done.

Download the star walk app before you go. It works great and makes gazing interesting.

Yes, there is at least one large (I think it was a 10" Dobsonian...maybe a Meade...not sure I remember exactly).

There is now an organized and published event as weather permits. We had a couple of younger crew members that I did not know (because they were not 'bar staff' :o ) who helped passengers find objects and view them in the telescope.

There were 20-30 passengers up on deck 9 forward for this event in June when we last sailed.

Thanks MotuInsider!

I called the Paul Gauguin reservations and they checked for the Paul G. Tahiti cruises and they claim they couldn't find a published event for the telescope for this Summer.

But she (the agent) said that it might have been someone that brought a telescope on board and had the event for a group of people.

In any case I see you have been on the Paul several times and apparently like it! We are looking forward to our first cruise on the PG either a July or August cruise next year.

Thanks again for your insight.

From the Hotel Director:

You are correct, we have large telescopes onboard and we are using them when we have some lecturers able to do stargazing and sometimes some of our AOTE are also doing stargazing.

AOTE is the Ambassadors of the Environment program. They were probably the youngish adults that were running the program last June.

From the Hotel Director:

You are correct, we have large telescopes onboard and we are using them when we have some lecturers able to do stargazing and sometimes some of our AOTE are also doing stargazing.

AOTE is the Ambassadors of the Environment program. They were probably the youngish adults that were running the program last June.

Looking forward to finding them on our 2016 cruise! Thanks for your help MotuIslander!

The program is only offered on a limited basis, ask PG if the week your on or considering has the program Ambassadors of the Environment. I'll bee on board on the Holiday cruise and they will have the program going through the holidays :)

• 2 months later...

I received this email from Ocean Futures Society:

"Thanks for writing.

YES we will be hosting "night sky" activities during your cruise and are so happy you're interested! The naturalists themselves are copied here (Nicole and Leslie) so they will recognize your name next August :)

The only "work" you have to do is make sure you know when the night sky activity will be held. Pass by the naturalists' desk which is in the reception area, on the first day of the cruise to pick up a schedule of activities they host. Or you can catch them at any of the lectures they provide and just ask. The times and place of those lectures is announced in the daily ship "news paper" called Ia Orana. You can always ask reception if the above options fail for whatever reason.

Congrats on choosing a great cruise!"

So it will be a nice addition to our cruise!!