Star gazing

rcandkc

Not sure if it's still done, but Dominique used to have star-gazing instruction, that is to see the constellations, Southern Cross, etc, at the rear of the ship(La Palette) at night. I have heard that he is no longer there:(, so not sure if it has been continued!! Having been on the Windstar as well, the difference was the instruction. Nothing beats knowing what you are actually looking at(adds to the enjoyment). Maybe the Paul Gauguin will read this and update if it's still carried on!

Not sure if it's still done, but Dominique used to have star-gazing instruction, that is to see the constellations, Southern Cross, etc, at the rear of the ship(La Palette) at night. I have heard that he is no longer there:(, so not sure if it has been continued!! Having been on the Windstar as well, the difference was the instruction. Nothing beats knowing what you are actually looking at(adds to the enjoyment). Maybe the Paul Gauguin will read this and update if it's still carried on!

I'll bet there is a star chart app just hold phone up and match the constellations

I do not have a smart phone but where can I find a star chart for So Pacific for May??

You can print a free star chart from skymaps dot com / downloads dot html.

May 2012 is not available yet, but you can get the one for Feb to practice using it at home. For French Polynesia, I think you might want the equatorial chart rather than the southern hemisphere chart though.

If there is one thing I love equal to beautiful beaches and oceans, it is looking at the stars on a clear night. How is the star gazing? Are the ships lights too bright to see the dark sky with bright stars?

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about star gazing equipment aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin. We have the following equipment onboard. We look forward to seeing you.

ORION

SkyQuest XT12

IntelliScope

Dobsonian Reflector Telescope

Low-Expansion Parabolic Primary Optics

Diameter 305 mm, F.L. 1500mm, f/4.9

And

ORION

SkyQuest XT10

IntelliScope

Diameter 254 mm, F.L. 1200mm, f/4.7

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about star gazing equipment aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin. We have the following equipment onboard. We look forward to seeing you.

ORION

SkyQuest XT12

IntelliScope

Diameter 305 mm, F.L. 1500mm, f/4.9

And

ORION

SkyQuest XT10

IntelliScope

Diameter 254 mm, F.L. 1200mm, f/4.7

Paul Gauguin Cruises

NO KIDDING? How long have you had this stuff? As you can see from my SIG, I have been on six times and twice in the last 18mos. How did I not know about this? Do you ever take scopes on shore on one of the overnights in BB or Moorea? Well, I guess I need to call the TA and book #7 for next year.

See you again soon (but not soon enough).

Archived