Cruising with a 2 year old....

CPCruiser4Life

Dear All:

Been reading a lot about this topic. Have a highly energetic 1 year old daughter, and we'd love to take her on a cruise next summer.

We saw a cruise for next summer that takes off July 12th....her birthday is on the 15th....would they make her wait a few days to use Camp Carnival or let her in the entire time?!?!?

Where are the "family boards" on here?!?! Can someone please post a direct link?

Any link to find great real pictures of what Camp Carnival looks like on Sunshine?!?!

Thanks!

Any other advice about cruising with a 2 year old would be appreciated as well!!!

We cruised with our 3 year old a few years ago and will be doing it with our 2 and now 7 year old next year.

We picked carnival primarily because they take the kids at age 2 in the kids club without an extra charge or limited hours.

To find the family board look under special interest cruising.

They typically go by the age at the time of sailing. There's a small possibility of an exception, but I wouldn't count on it. They do have a window of time in the morning where she'll be able to play with you in the kids club.

We cruised with our then two year old, she was old enough for the camp, but wouldn't go. We still had a nice time, but she was disappointed to not be able to swim (have to be potty trained.) We went in empty lounges and let her run around and climb. It was fun, but it was even better this year when she was ready for the camp, water slides and swimming.

Edited by Sooner-Cruisers

From the FAQ::

"Camp Carnival cannot accept children under the age of 2 unless they are turning 2 years old on the cruise. There are no age exceptions to this policy. There are specific times on board each ship that under-2 year olds are welcome into the facility. Each ship operates differently based on the itinerary."

So yes, if she turns 2 during the cruise, she can go to camp.

As for your other questions-- ask again over on the family board. Tons of tips there. We sailed with our 13 month old and will be on again in December with a 22 month old and a just turned 3 year old.

No pools AT ALL unless she's completely potty trained! Camp Carnival will change diapers for you, and give you a phone when you check her in in case they need you. Cruising with a toddler isn't the same as cruising without one, but its still a lot of fun, and one of the better vacation options at this age. No cooking, cleaning, or phones- just all the time to spend with your little one.

If she's ok with being dropped off at daycare or nursery etc, then she should do ok with camp carnival. They will give you a phone so they will be able to call you on board if she continues crying. But the workers are really good at distracting the kids and getting them involved in age-appropriate play.

Camp Carnival doesn't start until the 2nd day around 10 am, so plan on some activities for you and her

Any other advice about cruising with a 2 year old would be appreciated as well!!!

Hi,

1-bring a cheap umbrella stroller, mine LOVES hers and never used a stroller before her first cruise.

2-pack a few comforts from home. I bring dd's pillow case (just use ship pillow), her blanket and whoever her current fave sleep friends are.

3. sleeping and eating patterns change. Mine was on one nap, but took two, she ate a TON. (minus last cruise, kid barely ate anything other than yogurt, bread, escargo and one of the cold soups)

4. balcony room! Kids need sleep/down time. Balcony and room service till allow you to enjoy the afternoon/evening (we switch off who stays).

5. pack a few dollar spot crafts/games/toys/magic markers to keep busy. I have a box I stock pile clearance stuff.

6. Carnival has Dr. Suess stuff/breakfast/parade/storytelling. Target dollar spot sells dr. suess stuff for $1-3. :D I'll have a little reuseable bag filled with a few things-cup, sunblock, soap, small toys/notebook. this helps prevents the I wants as well.

be realistic with your expectations about what you'll do, and what she'll do/can do. Your child's personality will determine this more than anything (example, mine doesn't sleep anywhere and gets over stimulated easy. She needs downtime. which is fine, because I have no problem hanging on the balcony with her.) We haven't done excurstions with our yet. We either shop or take a taxi to the beach, depending on port. We plan to be back for lunch/nap. After lunch dh heads back and dd and I sleep/rest. Afterwards, he takes her to the pool. Then we get ready for MDR dinner (we go to MDR nightly for dinner, and morning, most lunches, I find it easier and better than lido. Dinner takes longer, but that's ok).

A funny. we leave in a few weeks. my 3 year asked me if they'll have apples. I said yes. She got all excited because she wants to eat an apple on the balcony with me.

We've never used the clubs/nursary (dh works, he uses vacation to spend time with her), so I can't comment on that.