going to Baths with a 3.5 year old?

E46M3

We'd like to go to the Baths and see what it's all about. But is it doable for a 3.5 year old toddler? How long is the hike down and is it strenuous? I can bring a carrier and carry her on my back if need be.

• 5 weeks later...
Could you give us an update if you took your 3 1/2 yr old? We have a 4 1/2 yr old and a 9year old - we'd love to take the kids but would like to hear from those who have been. Thanks

Sure, I'll report back after the trip. But since your youngest one is 4.5, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The walk down the path is on a natural path with stone steps, one poster attached pictures of the path if you want to search for that here. You reach the beach where there's a small beach shack (Poorman's) that sells refreshments and has lockers for rent. You would then walk to your left through the boulders eventually coming out into Devil's Bay and when ready come up the path from there back to the Top of the Baths. It's not that strenuous and you may have to hold your toddler's hand on the paths and carry your toddler sometimes but shouldn't be a problem.

There's a restaurant at the Top of the Baths as well as a shallow wading pool.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
Could you give us an update if you took your 3 1/2 yr old? We have a 4 1/2 yr old and a 9year old - we'd love to take the kids but would like to hear from those who have been. Thanks

I came back from the Baths this past weekend and we did the self excursion and to me it was a great decision! Keep in mind I'm 41, my wife is 33 and our little one is just over 3. We're both in good shape but I really don't see anyone having issues even if you're out of shape as long as you're not too out of shape. We left the ship at 7:15. The walk to the ferry is about 10-15min. We took the 7:45 Speedy's and got to VG at 8:30. Cab ride to the Baths drop off area was no more than 5-10 min. The hike down was about 10 minutes to the top of the Baths where you start going through the rocks. The 10 min hike is really not that hard at all and I carried my 3 year old 80% of the way down. She doesn't like to walk on dirt... Going through the caves/rocks had more obstacles as you need to climb some steep stairs and go over some boulders but not that many, and still pretty easy. My 3 year old had a blast in the caves! I'm highly opposed to going through the Baths from Devil's Bay as everyone you encounter in the caves will hate you unless you're going on a slow day. The walk in the caves is only about 10-15min if you don't stop much. But we took our time and explored the less traveled areas as well and we were in it for a good 30min. We came out to Devil's Bay around 9:30 and the beach was gorgeous! The water was really fun to wade in but be careful, waves could knock you down and probably has strong riptides. My wife who never wades in saltwater did this time as she had so much fun. We left Devil's Bay at 11:40ish and went up the trail from Devil's bay. This trail has no steps unlike the trail coming down. It's slightly longer because of it. Again, I carried my 3 year old going back up. We got to the top just before 12 and rested a bit at the restaurant. Got on the cab around 12:30 and made it to the 12:45 ferry no problem. Ferry coming back dropped us off next to the ship, not sure why, but that was a treat!

Overall, it was a trip well worth going. The beach is gorgeous, the caves are a must see. And I'd recommend doing a self excursion to maximize time and money. We saved over $110 compare to ship excursion!

• 3 weeks later...
I came back from the Baths this past weekend and we did the self excursion and to me it was a great decision! Keep in mind I'm 41, my wife is 33 and our little one is just over 3. We're both in good shape but I really don't see anyone having issues even if you're out of shape as long as you're not too out of shape. We left the ship at 7:15. The walk to the ferry is about 10-15min. We took the 7:45 Speedy's and got to VG at 8:30. Cab ride to the Baths drop off area was no more than 5-10 min. The hike down was about 10 minutes to the top of the Baths where you start going through the rocks. The 10 min hike is really not that hard at all and I carried my 3 year old 80% of the way down. She doesn't like to walk on dirt... Going through the caves/rocks had more obstacles as you need to climb some steep stairs and go over some boulders but not that many, and still pretty easy. My 3 year old had a blast in the caves! I'm highly opposed to going through the Baths from Devil's Bay as everyone you encounter in the caves will hate you unless you're going on a slow day. The walk in the caves is only about 10-15min if you don't stop much. But we took our time and explored the less traveled areas as well and we were in it for a good 30min. We came out to Devil's Bay around 9:30 and the beach was gorgeous! The water was really fun to wade in but be careful, waves could knock you down and probably has strong riptides. My wife who never wades in saltwater did this time as she had so much fun. We left Devil's Bay at 11:40ish and went up the trail from Devil's bay. This trail has no steps unlike the trail coming down. It's slightly longer because of it. Again, I carried my 3 year old going back up. We got to the top just before 12 and rested a bit at the restaurant. Got on the cab around 12:30 and made it to the 12:45 ferry no problem. Ferry coming back dropped us off next to the ship, not sure why, but that was a treat!

Overall, it was a trip well worth going. The beach is gorgeous, the caves are a must see. And I'd recommend doing a self excursion to maximize time and money. We saved over $110 compare to ship excursion!

Thanks for all the info! Did you find information prior to your cruise about this self excursion, or did you just figure it out when you got off the boat? I'll be traveling with 3 kids: 5, 3, and 2 and I really want to go to the Baths as well. i think my older 2 will be fine, and my husband can hold our 2 year old if need be. I would rather do the self excursion to save time and money as well. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the info! Did you find information prior to your cruise about this self excursion, or did you just figure it out when you got off the boat? I'll be traveling with 3 kids: 5, 3, and 2 and I really want to go to the Baths as well. i think my older 2 will be fine, and my husband can hold our 2 year old if need be. I would rather do the self excursion to save time and money as well. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, I researched quite a bit before deciding on the self excursion. I'd not want to play by ear as ship excursion could get full in case you decide to take that route. You definitely have to carry the 2 year old more and maybe the 3 year old as well but probably not as much. If we had 3 kids same age, I'd still do the self excursion. I forget what the cutoff age was for free ferry ride, maybe 3? But for sure you'll save over $100 compare to ship excursion.

Edited by E46M3