FYI New Social Plan Internet

Ascott318

I just got off the Splendor yesterday. I signed up for the $5 a day /$25 for 8 day cruise internet. To my surprise I was able to make phone calls through FB and also video calls. There is a delay in speaking but worked out great for me. I was able to talk to hubby ,since he wasn't with me.

I'm confused, I thought they really locked your access down to a few apps while using the cheapest internet option? Is there a way to call someone on the phone using facebook that is not blocked?:confused: If so, i bet they will plug that leak soon:mad:

I just got off of the Breeze and yes you can make phone calls and video calls through Facebook Messenger. The quality is awful though and really not worth the aggravation not unless you want to stare at each other quietly without speaking for video calls. That being said it was cool having access to the outside world like messaging my wife, posting pics to fb, and checking sports scores through Twitter.

I was able to make phone calls and video calls through FB. I found it worked better making calls on higher deck. There is a delay on voice calls of about 5 seconds. It also allowed to to send reg texts. I put my phone in airplane mode. It worked fine for me. I posted several pics to FB also.

The social media package was really great. I paid $25 for the whole cruise and made my friends and family positively green with jealousy while posting pictures on Facebook. The package gave me access to iMessage on my iPhone as well as Facebook, Instagram, snapchat apps.

When you get on the ship, put your phone in airplane mode. Then turn on wifi and you can either surf to a webpage or go to login.com. You will get this page. ad4b2cc52932a6984f80b055f5817c3b.jpg Buy the package you want and you will log in with your folio number and the month and date of birth for the person attached to that folio.

If you don't want to buy the package, there are some free sites available.

ce53275d718e68419a7a0db2812a2b8b.jpg

SoCal Gal trapped in the frozen tundra in dire need of some sunshine

I was worried that someway there would be charges incurred thru my carrier also. Has anyone had that occur?

This is about using Wifi ..

If your phone is in airplane mode, cellular phone services (what you buy from your carrier) are suspended - so no, if you place it in airplane mode, you will not incur any cellular charges.

• 2 weeks later...
ok so if I make my dad a fb page..add his phone # to it, get the social media package, I'll be able to call him from my phone? I'm worried about not being in touch with him except in key west...

In Key West you're in the US so just use your phone to make a regular phone call.

They need to add Cruise Critic website to social plan. its a popular social media place among cruisers.

I'm probably going to get the value plan when wife and I go on our first ever cruise on Splendor. I will need access to my Photobucket account for hosting pictures. I'm thinking about doing a day to day review thread while on board Splendor. There's not a whole lot of current reviews for Splendor.

I figured I could answer questions while on-board about Splendor. Our cruise is a 7 night western caribbean.

I'm confused, I thought they really locked your access down to a few apps while using the cheapest internet option? Is there a way to call someone on the phone using Facebook that is not blocked?:confused: If so, i bet they will plug that leak soon:mad:

I think the only way carnival could stop calls and video calls on FB messenger would be to block FB messenger all together. Only FB themselves would be able to make it so your FB messenger App couldn't make voice or video calls. Carnival has no control on how another companies app works or functions. Carnival I'm sure knows people can make video calls and voice calls even before they implemented this new internet plan and chose to allow FB messenger. If its an issue with bandwidth then I'm sure carnival would have done something by now. I for one am glad you can make video and voice calls on FB messenger even if there is a slight delay. I can work around it.

My teens are going to LOVE that. I told them all the cost already and that they would need to work it out to share and split the cost or buy it for themselves. You know they can't go a week without texting 100 of their closest friends and Instagramming all the time!!

My teens are going to LOVE that. I told them all the cost already and that they would need to work it out to share and split the cost or buy it for themselves. You know they can't go a week without texting 100 of their closest friends and Instagramming all the time!!

Our kids will probably all block us by the first or second day of our cruise after wife and I send pictures and bragging about what a great time were having. they dont get to go on this cruise. Its mommy daddy vacation time. :D