Leaving out of New Orleans

rs12065

We are considering a cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans at the end of January, 2016. Anyone have experience on how the weather is on the evening of embarkation and during the first day in the northern Gulf of Mexico? The first day of this cruise is a sea day and we would like to be able to sit at the pool and sunbathe

Sailed out of N.O. a lot and you never know. We have sailed when it was warm and beautiful and other times you needed a jacket , however it is usually warm and sunny by mid day of the first sea day. Cruising out of N.O. is a lot of fun, hope you try it.

I've lived in the Nola area all of my life and like Yazoo said you never know. Avg temp is very nice 65 in January but one strong cold front can give us a few days in the 30's & 40's. You'll just have to check the weather before you head this way. As for the gulf, it'll still be cool when you wake up on your 1st sea day. You'll notice a big difference on your 2nd sea day if cruising to Mexico. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Podna's

I only ever cruised in late January one time and it was quite cool the first two days going south, then it warmed up. For me, though, I felt like I missed a bit of pool/deck time so we cruise a little later in the year now.

Edited by sunkey1

It will probably be too cool to sit out and sunbathe. You might get lucky with a sunny day of 70 but chances are it will be overcast and possibly rainy. You may also have to contend with fog as the gulf coast deals with a lot of fog during the colder months because of the warm, moist ground. If you want to sunbathe and an almost guaranteed good weather day to do it, then I suggest summer through fall dates.

Last time we cruise in January was out of Tampa, and it ended up being one of the coldest days on record for Tampa. It was a mere 25 that morning.....brrrrr we were frozen. Embarkation was cold, muster drill was done inside because of the cold temps. It was so cold that whole week when we were in Grand Cayman, they locals there were in coats, although it was warm to us, not hot but warmer, and not at all swimming weather. In Cozumel, our day at Nachi was no fun, it was cloudy and cool, I used my towel as a blanket to lay on the beach in a lounger..... Seas were rough and turbulent the entire trip from the deep cold front. We decided then that we would never sail again in January. That was the coldest of our January sailings, it can be hit or miss in January.

Cruised out of NOLA January 2014 -NOLA was jacket weather, leaving NOLA, we tried to sit out side and enjoy the view down the river, it was way too cold. The next day (our day at sea day) there were very few folks out and about on the Lido. A few kids using the slide into the pool, but we figured they were kids, adults were wrapped in coats, saw some folks in the cabin bathrobes.

This trip was to Progreso and Cozumel, the weather was perfect for wandering the Mayan ruins in Progreso, but too cool to swim in Cozumel. Fewer folk on the lido on the sea day heading back, arrived in NOLA in fog and snow, and the bridges were closed due to an ice storm.

I have cruised in Belize, Honduras and Cozumel before in January, and it was wonderful. You see I am sailing once again in early January to Progreso next year-I love wandering those ruins, but not when I am going to melt to do so.;)

we cruised in jan this out of NOLA this year, weather was nice going out, kid was in the pool first sea day, no issues. Last evening and the next morning it was COLD.

The short distance over night made a differance.

But really, you can never tell. I'd bring a jacket/sweater for the first night/day, just in case. But hey, you're on a ship! better than at home!

Weather in New Orleans and along the north gulf coast in January depends on which way the wind is blowing. A north wind means cold weather, a south wind means warm weather. It is a damp cold in New Orleans, you will be freezing cold with a temp at 50. I would not let the weather deter you from sailing from NOLA. Take a couple of days before or after your cruise and enjoy the French Quarter and all the good food.