DannyMac, Cindy and Mackie

Spike&Jane

Spike & Jane, great to hear from you. We are all AOK!! As you might remember my wife and I live in Deer Park, Texas which is 8 miles west of upper Galveston Bay. Mary & I spent 14 hours trying to get to Austin but after covering only 50 miles we gave up and went to her brothers house in NW Houston, our house is OK, as is our entire neighborhood. Received an email from Cindy this morning, she and Jim are well and sustained no damage to their house. The Houston area dodged a bullet when this storm took a right turn into LA. Have no word from Mackie.

How have you been? Doesn't seem like six months have passed. If I remember, y'all were taking another cruise, how did it go? We booked the Grand on 12-10-05, and Cindy and Jim booked the spring break cruise on the Grand. I stay in touch with Cindy via email.

Here is my email: dmacfarlane@pasadenaisd.org drop me a line from time to time.

DannyMAc

Hi Spike and Jane,

We're great here in Houston! Jim worked through the storm so if his building lost power they could keep all the computer equipment up and running. I had originally planned to stay with friends a little bit north, but when I saw the traffic I decided to stay and ride it out with the neighbors. The Houston/Galveston area was very lucky that the storm turned away from us. On Wednesday night when the winds were 175 mph we were all pretty scared.

As things ended up, we had some sustained tropical storm force winds. We never lost power, so other than the fact that almost everything in Houston is still closed and there is no gas, things are pretty normal. We'll go back to school on Wednesday. Our pool and yard are kind of a mess, but we're very grateful because things could have been SO MUCH worse!

I talked to Mackie this week. She is doing great! Since she's in Dallas, they weren't threatened by the wind from the hurricane. They may get some heavy rains. Danny and I keep in touch by e-mail. We may try to meet for a drink in Galveston when the Grand comes back in November.

Hope you're both doing well. Thanks for thinking of us! :)

It is great to hear that you all got through Rita safely. As soon as we heard that Rita was going to come ashore in the Galveston/Houston are, we started thinking about all of you. They have shut down our old thread so I wasn't sure how to get in touch with you guys.Things are pretty busy here for us with taking care of grandkids and all. We are tired of the heat and humidity. I am ready for the change in seasons. We have a NCL cruise to Hawaii booked in February on the Pride of Aloha. It is a group cruise of Central Illinois people. The last number I heard going was 100. I am not looking forward to the 8 or 9 hour flight from Chicago to Hawaii, but if you like cruising you will put up with anything. Maybe, if we all keep in touch we can end up on the same cruise again. Take care Spike :)

cdwjr3446@aol.com

I have got to tell you this storm scared Mary and I. We have lived in this area all our lives and have experienced every storm since "Carla" and I don't scare easily but this one was a big bad one. I don't know if providence has anything to do with it but I was praying pretty hard for some devine intervention. I believe the lord answered those prayers with a gentle nudge on this storm. I can truthfully say we experienced the "Longest Day"

Take care...DannyMac

I have got to tell you this storm scared Mary and I.

Take care...DannyMac

I'm with Danny and Mary...on Wednesday night when Rita was a Category 5 storm with winds at 175 mph I was very scared! We in the Houston-Galveston area are so fortunate that the storm's path changed. My thoughts and prayers go out to those that have been affected by Rita.

Archived