Getaway and Internet/Phone

KSinSTL

Just curious how long my Verizon phones internet and phone features will work on the Getaway. Will I lose service as soon as Im on the ship, or will it be good for an hour after we set sail? I guess I should say without roaming and incurring additional charges.

You are usually good for 5 miles or so off shore. Your phone should tell you when you begin roaming. You can leave the voice feature alone if you wish. Just don't answer calls or check voice mail. But for voice, you can call using the ship's "cellular at sea" feature for $2.50 a minute once you are out at sea. Do turn data off (or "data off while roaming"). That is where the big charges can occur. You can also send text for .50c each, receive for .05c each. That is SMS only, no pictures. Voice does have to be on to use the texting feature. In each port, you will have to check with Verizon to see what their international charges are at each.

Edited by roger001

This is quite helpful thanks.

And...I might add, the Getaway has the free i concierge available (for iphone, not sure about other smart phones). You do have to download that app before getting on the ship though. With that, you can access many informational items about the ship and your account. You can leave wifi on on your phone while on the ship or in ports. Your phone will see wifi signals available sometimes, even other cruise lines docked near your. However, you can't connect and so no charge. The ship will ask you if you want to connect to the paid wifi service that's available, but you can ignore or decline that. At the ports, there is sometimes free wifi available at some of the shops or bars. The crew know about them. The i concierge portion of the ship's wifi service is free. You won't be charged for connecting to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. I have been told that you can ask Verizon for their $15.00 international unlimited rate when out of the country. Not certain if this is true, but, hope to check on this and get to back to you.

Thank you for the information. I have been told that you can ask Verizon for their $15.00 international unlimited rate when out of the country. Not certain if this is true, but, hope to check on this and get to back to you.

Unfortunately I think you were told very wrong. Verizon has 2 different packages you can purchase for international, or you can pay as you go.

Package 1:

$25/phone, gets you 100MB of data and calls are $1.79/min., sent texts $0.50, received texts $0.05. (Overage charges are $0.25/min., $0.25/text, and $25.00/MB of data).

Package 2:

$40/phone, gets you: 100 min. of voice, 100 sent texts, unlimited incoming texts, and 100MB of data.

Pay as you Go Pricing:

Mexico - Voice is $0.99/min. ($1.79/min. in other countries,) texts are $0.50 for sent, and $0.05 for received, data is $2.05/MB.

As you can see above, the charges add up especially fast, especially with the data. Add that to the fact that, of course, this will only work in ports where cell service is available, personally I don't find it worth the cost, but of course that is up to you to weigh the costs vs. your family's needs.:)

Thank you so very much for straightening me out on this information!

Have a great day!

No problem, those pesky overage charges sneak up on you! I did it once before, but by the time I had gotten the email notice that I was about to go over the data limit it was too late and I had already gone over the 100MB. They automatically charge you the $25 for the next 100MB, whether you use it all or not.