Snorkeling Hull Bay St. Thomas

SeaWatcher65

Want to visit Magens Bay in St. Thomas and snorkel somewhere nearby. Cruise ship stop 8am-6pm. Hull Bay seems close by but can't find much information -- except a review that said "dramatic drop off and big fish". I also read that the surf/waves can be rough in winter. We are beginning snorkelers and traveling with 10yr old son. Worth a visit? Too dangerous? Our other option is to skip Magens and just spend the day at Sapphire Beach or go to Coki Beach again -- both have more amenities (food, bathrooms, etc.). Suggestions? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I wasn 't that impressed with diving Hull Bay because we did a shore dive and had to schlep all our gear and swim back in far.

I recommend Splash at Sapphire Beach-a little hut on the beach that does boat dives out of the harbor there. They can be slackers for safety depending on the dive master.

Also there is a good outfit at Yaght Haven-I can't remember their name but they do like 50 people off the cruise ships a dive.

I would recommend Blue Island divers out of Crown Bay instead-ask for Rob "Web. He's great!

• 2 weeks later...

if you do go to Megan's beach because it's such a pretty beach and still want to see fish, go all the way to the left (looking out to the water) and you should see millions of little tiny fish by the side of the bay. Very different snorkeling adventure, but still pretty neat. Check out my Megan's bay post in my blog here to see what I'm talking about--- http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/08/beaches-and-snorkeling-on-st-thomas.html

if you do go to Megan's beach because it's such a pretty beach and still want to see fish, go all the way to the left (looking out to the water) and you should see millions of little tiny fish by the side of the bay. Very different snorkeling adventure, but still pretty neat. Check out my Megan's bay post in my blog here to see what I'm talking about--- http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/08/beaches-and-snorkeling-on-st-thomas.html

Wonderful photography! Thanks!

You might consider Coki Beach. The snorkeling is petty good and it is beach entry. The only thing is the water entry is a little rocky. Enjoy!

Thanks! Been to Coki last year. Might try Sapphire Beach nearby.