Southampton to Stonehenge

lcumpire

We are taking a cruise in June 2016 and flying from U.S. - thinking of taking National Express bus direct from LHR to Southampton and spending the night to recover. Then taking train to see Stonehenge the next day. We take the cruise on the following day.

Is this a reasonable thing to do or are we trying to do to much. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Yes, no problem. :)

Salisbury & Stonehenge is a popular day-trip from Southampton.

But the Summer Solstice is 20th June. If your date is within a couple of days of that, Stonehenge may be closed for the Druids ceremonies etc, so check the website closer to the date.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

Half-hourly train service, journey time about 30 minutes. On sundays much less frequent & no direct service.

Buy tickets at the station - ask for "cheap day-returns". At about £10 a day-return is about the same price as a one-way ticket. No need to specify a return time - catch any same-day train back to Southampton.

Aim to catch a train which ties in neatly with the Stonehenge ho-ho timetable.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your departure station is Southampton Central.

Buy your Stonehenge tickets with your ho-ho tickets - the cost is the same as at Stonehenge & no need to pre-book a timed admission.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

Double-check the ho-ho times for your date - the start time & frequency varies depending on time of year

There's really not a lot to see at Stonehenge, to get best value from a visit do research its history - otherwise it's just a circle of stones.

30 to 60 minutes at Stonehenge used to be plenty, but I've not been there since the visitor centre was built so I don't know how long that's worth.

Consider also hopping off at Old Sarum if energy, time & weather permit.

Old Sarum was the original hilltop stone age settlement (Salisbury is actually "New Sarum").

Legend had it that an archer fired an arrow from Old Sarum, and New Sarum was built where the arrow landed. That's about 2 miles !! So legend then had it that the arrow hit a deer, which ran off & collapsed two miles away. You just can't trust legends :D

Then get off in the attractive & laid-back city centre & visit Salisbury Cathedral. Cathedrals aren't my thing, but Salisbury's is quite special.:)

The city centre dies about 5 - 5.30 til the pubs & restaurants start to fill from about 7.30. Same as most places in the UK.

Take the ho-ho (if the timing is convenient), or taxi or local bus or a 20 minute walk back to the rail station for a train back to Southampton.

-------------------------------------------------

An alternative is a private transfer from Heathrow to Southampton via Stonehenge and/or Salisbury. This would give you a spare day, but of course you'd be straight off an overnight flight, your time at Stonehenge & Salisbury would be curtailed by the depth of your pockets, and even a short visit would be expensive compared to a Nat Express coach transfer.

-------------------------------------------------

Best to book a city centre hotel in Southampton city centre, handy to the Nat Express coach station, the rail station & the cruise terminals. Some on the map at the bottom of this page are easily walkable, all are just a short taxi hop.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

If it was me, I would catch a train to Salisbury and the bust to stonehenge and then back to Salisbury for lunch. I think that the ruins at Old Sarum, while historically interesting, are really just some grassy banks and a few stones. The cathedral, however is spectacular.

1308420241_OldSarum.jpg.29fa30600f19eb0216a04039954d11f7.jpg

546822937_Salisburycathedral.jpg.2e1e7cbd9a86b0237b429f820330b79a.jpg