12 Day Grand Mediterranean Review on the Norwegian Spirit

nolatravelgirl

I'm already researching excursions. I'm having so much fun planning.

Make certain you join your roll call. We are sailing in May and already have everything booked with other members . Of course now we might be bringing our kids so everything will have to be re-done!

@nolatravelgirl-you pinky promised you were going to finish! Come back!!

Edited by cardbucfan

Make certain you join your roll call. We are sailing in May and already have everything booked with other members . Of course now we might be bringing our kids so everything will have to be re-done!

@nolatravelgirl-you pinky promised you were going to finish! Come back!!

I did post half of Venice but still need to wrap it up. There was Gelato, gondola races and a trip to the palace.

I did post half of Venice but still need to wrap it up. There was Gelato, gondola races and a trip to the palace.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your time in Venice! We are starting to really start planning for the same cruise later on this year (in September) and I love all the great tips and suggestions you have given.........thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't on the look out for lectures and frankly I am not sure there is much time to attend any on this very port intensive cruise. I had done most of my research prior to boarding and had my days planned out. I would not wait till boarding to research these ports as the days are very full

Not sure why it would only list those two as you should be able to book at the Italian restaurant as well as the Teppanyaki restaurant on board as well. I personally found the Italian restaurant to be awful and wouldn't bother. The specialty restaurants are only open for dinner. Be sure to book your SDP reservations prior to boarding as they tend to book up at popular times.

Just wondering when to book speciality restaurants for an August 1, 2016 sailing?

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the review posted of our cruise by nolatravelgirl. I have picked out the information that pertains to what we like to do and got some great tips. Thanks for posting, you did a great job and I can see have the same love of travel we do. Taking this cruise in September/October, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your review. I've enjoyed reading it, as I am taking the family on the same sort of cruise this fall. I'm curious if you noticed any kids at all on the cruise. Our kids tend to do better in smaller groups, so our hope is that by taking this cruise in the fall, there should be close to zero other kids on board.

Thanks for your review. I've enjoyed reading it, as I am taking the family on the same sort of cruise this fall. I'm curious if you noticed any kids at all on the cruise. Our kids tend to do better in smaller groups, so our hope is that by taking this cruise in the fall, there should be close to zero other kids on board.

I did this cruise over American Labor Day. Most American kids were already back in school but yes there were some kids on board including several European children. I don't think there are very many mass market lines where you will encounter zero kids.

• 4 weeks later...

Love this review!! It was posted by someone to our CC board. We are sailing May 31st, although we aren't going to Turkey anymore, I'm looking forward to Dubrovnik!

Just out of curiosity, how was your transport from Venice to airport? We apparently aren't docking until 9pm, so we will only have a few hours the next day before our 4pm flight, and are trying to determine exactly how we will do it without paying the hefty NCL excursion that includes airport transfer.

• 1 month later...
Part 23

Karin immediately jumped into guide mode and started pointing out things on the drive and kept talking about how we were going to need quickly. She collected all our ticket vouchers and HIB screeched to the curb. As we each stepped out the van she checked to make sure we were all suitably covered for the Sistine Chapel.

TIP: you must have your shoulders and knees covered to enter the Sistine Chapel

There were mobs of people at the entrance but we followed Karin inside who went through another line and bypassed the crowd. She parked us on a bench and she went and collected our tickets with the vouchers. Normally I hate the “stick people” aka the guides who lead people around attractions holding up a stick so the sheeple don’t get lost. This was one place where even just a small group of 8, like we were, really needed a

!

I will be doing this tour after following your review.

We are told to pre buy our tickets online for 2:00pm. I was worried about long lines on Saturday and getting in but it looks like you may have also gone in the afternoon and your guide knows all the tricks for bypassing the lines.

Am I okay with the 2:00 pm tour?

I will be doing this tour after following your review.

We are told to pre buy our tickets online for 2:00pm. I was worried about long lines on Saturday and getting in but it looks like you may have also gone in the afternoon and your guide knows all the tricks for bypassing the lines.

Am I okay with the 2:00 pm tour?

If you have booked a tour WITH GUIDE at the Vatican you will be fine. If you have just booked the basic RIL transport with driver and will just be dropped off at the main entrance then you could really waste time. We had a private van with 8 people and 2 in our group had originally said they were going to the Vatican on their own but when they saw the crowds they quickly changed their mind and decided to join our tour. When you divide the cost by 8 it was seriously well worth it. You won't see everything but I really felt like Karin did an excellent job of moving us through the maze of antiquities in the limited time we had. If we had been on our own we likely would have missed 2/3rds of what we did see. Edited by nolatravelgirl

@nolatravelgirl-I know you're busy with jazz fest (probably!) but I leave in less than two weeks and you NEVER FINISHED VENICE!!!! I have everything booked but just in case you have any handy tips....

At least tell me how much was your gondola ride and where did you pick it up?

Part 63

It was a sad day as we were departing the Spirit for the last time. We had a leisurely paced breakfast and finally said goodbye to the crew who made our trip so memorable. Our luggage was waiting in the hall and we had no holdups exiting.

The next decision was whether to walk to the people mover or to get in one of the taxis to the station. The amount of luggage we had was the deciding factor and knowing that we were at one of the furthest berths had the taxi win out. I want to say it was 20 Euros and it was a very short ride to the station. Unfortunately our driver didn’t speak English and when we tried to explain that we wanted to be dropped off at the luggage storage area he ended up dropping us at the furthest point from luggage storage area which in turn meant that we had to haul our own bags to the other side of the circle.

For those looking for the luggage storage look for this sign:

21182826492_8b9ea256ab.jpg

Which is right next to the exit for the People Mover

21481687018_016a61ec6e.jpg

The charge was 7 Euros per piece and it was just this little shop where they piled the bags

21481591480_ee5b390574.jpg

Knowing that we would be needing bus tickets to the airport we went ahead and bought the bus tickets so we wouldn’t be panicked at the end of the day. Finally free of our bags we bought an all-day water bus ticket and got on the correct bus that took us into the city. There was lots of shopping and a leisurely pasta lunch which I thought was overpriced but the service was good and we didn’t feel rushed.

After lunch jenidallas had to head to the airport for her flight home. I had a much later flight to Frankfurt so had the afternoon to explore on my own. I headed into the square and purchased my ticket to tour the palace. I also got the audio guide and was very happy that I had brought my ear buds so I didn’t have to hold the thing to my ear!

21004783990_3cc7f5b391.jpg

21004716928_1b4ed9bba4.jpg

21182315692_f0c37724bf.jpg

Part 64

Everyone who talked about the palace said you “had” to see the prison underneath, so I dutifully followed the signs and was impressed by the first 10 or so cells but the signs kept pointing forever and I felt like I was never going to get out and there didn’t seem to be a shortcut to the end. I finally got out and felt like I had been freed from jail!

21192219525_2be106f688.jpg

21005727349_e57e9e5347.jpg

21004404990_43230a6837.jpg

Next up was St. Mark’s Basilica. The line was long but it moved quickly. Again you needed to have shoulders and knees covered. There was a booth selling these cheap muslin scarves if you weren’t properly covered. I had a knit cardigan in my bag so I was good to go. The entrance was free but there were several other portions of the basilica that required payment.

Entrance

21046854174_b38f797df5.jpg

You weren’t supposed to take photos but I did snap one without a flash

21005361629_c745ee8078.jpg

It was getting late and I had a 7:30pm flight from Venice so I made my way to the water bus stop only to find that all the canals were closed due to the gondola races. A quick consult of the maps determined that I could walk there but it would be a lengthy and through mobs of people. Not one to be deterred I grabbed one last gelato.

21608009046_ced6dc3296.jpg

I am quite sure that this was one of the best gelato I had all trip and it was quite reasonable in price. This was just the fuel I need for the long walk back to the station. I am glad I had built a buffer into my schedule as it was probably a 30-45 minute walk. The distance wasn't that long but there were lots of bridges and lots of tourist dodging and a few wrong turns thrown in for good measure.

I ended up not getting my money's worth out of the all day ticket but I when I made it to the station I handed off my ticket to another tourist so that at least someone got use of it.

I collected my bags and headed to the airport bus. You placed your own bags under the bus and then hopped on board. I wasn't completely comfortable with this as the driver wasn't keeping an eye on the bags. Thankfully I was on the last on and we pulled out for our bus ride to the airport.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Part 65

The bus was a large motor coach and was much cheaper than a taxi, especially for one person. I wouldn’t hesitate to take the bus again as it dropped off right at the airport. The bus was air conditioned and seemed to be in good working order.

20569467994_68242a4649.jpg

I really would have loved another evening in Venice but it just wouldn’t work with all the things piling back up at my client site. I could have taken the first flight out of Venice in the morning but that would have been cutting it really close for a connection and I would have needed to get up super early which would have been challenging if I was out late in Venice so I opted to take the late flight out of Venice and overnight at the Sheraton at Frankfurt airport which allowed me to take the early non-stop from FRA to IAH.

Check in was a breeze and I went ahead and checked my bigger suitcase all the way to Houston and just kept my carryon with me for the overnight in FRA.

I had used miles for my return and was on Lufthansa first class award which allowed me use of the Marco Polo club in Venice. I was already pretty sticky and hot from the walk and the lounge was much too warm for my liking. There were shower facilities but knowing that I really wouldn’t feel refreshed I just opted to wash my face and looked forward to a nice long shower in Frankfurt.

The hairdryer was “interesting” and seemed more like what you would see in a trucker’s rest area than a business class lounge.

21658123522_118da9c681.jpg

21190675152_a5ab99c953.jpg

There was simple food on hand and plenty of comfy seating. I only had about an hour before I needed to make my way to the gate so it was a perfectly serviceable lounge with wifi.

20569455814_4d776ba0b8.jpg

We boarded on time and if you have never flown intra Europe business class be aware that it is just a regular seat with the middle seat blocked. However you do get a decent meal.

My leg room!

20579887253_5424cf9ccd.jpg

The meal which I don’t recall eating.

21201013995_11004e6930.jpg

Thanks so much for coming back and finishing! This was a great review and very helpful for my planning.

I've got two final questions.

1. You mentioned gondola ride at one point. Did you do one? How much was it?

2. Do you remember where that gelato place was? We will be in Venice two days post cruise and I think I need that lol!

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for coming back and finishing! This was a great review and very helpful for my planning.

I've got two final questions.

1. You mentioned gondola ride at one point. Did you do one? How much was it?

2. Do you remember where that gelato place was? We will be in Venice two days post cruise and I think I need that lol!

Thanks!!

We never did get to do a gondola ride. We were supposed to do one on our food tour but due to the rain it was canceled. The name of the gelato shop was named Suso. Here it is on Yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/suso-gelatoteca-venezia

20569473984_fd984ab6c6.jpg

What a wonderfully entertaining and thorough review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

Some reviewers have really been disappointed with NCL Spirit but

I gather that you were generally happy with the ship?

What a wonderfully entertaining and thorough review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

Some reviewers have really been disappointed with NCL Spirit but

I gather that you were generally happy with the ship?

I am glad you enjoyed it. This was definitely a lot of big stops in one cruise.

I enjoyed the ship but my only other comparison I had for cruise ships was Seabourn which is a small luxury line. I was really pleased by the specialty dining and thought it was really worth the price. I liked having more venues to choose from. I wasn't expecting a Seabourn caliber room but the room was small and a bit dated, but it did meet our needs and we could have paid for a bigger room but decided to save and just stick it out in a balcony room.

The service on Seabourn is a million times more personal and I appreciated on Seabourn that folks weren't constantly handing you a bill at every turn.

I have never sailed on the big mega ships which I think look interesting, but those tend to have the same boring itineraries and ports so if you are just looking to float around and have the ship be your main activity then I could see how NCL Spirit could be a let down. I was so tired after all the excursions and port activities I wasn't too worried that I didn't have an ice rink, water show and flowrider. I enjoyed the lively clubs and entertainment on Spirit.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

If you have booked a tour WITH GUIDE at the Vatican you will be fine. If you have just booked the basic RIL transport with driver and will just be dropped off at the main entrance then you could really waste time. We had a private van with 8 people and 2 in our group had originally said they were going to the Vatican on their own but when they saw the crowds they quickly changed their mind and decided to join our tour. When you divide the cost by 8 it was seriously well worth it. You won't see everything but I really felt like Karin did an excellent job of moving us through the maze of antiquities in the limited time we had. If we had been on our own we likely would have missed 2/3rds of what we did see.

Yes, thanks. I really did follow your review and suggestions and booked the guide. I realize its a jam packed day and anything to make it more smoothly. I appreciate the guides and all their expertise. I even booked 3 tours with the other in Naples and Florence. So thanks for your full review and great advice.