12 Day Grand Mediterranean Review on the Norwegian Spirit

nolatravelgirl

Just another note to thank you for such a wonderful review.

I'm quite OK with the pace of posts, but only because I've been lax checking the CC boards the last month and a half or so. :)

On the other hand, I just enabled daily email notification, so whenever you post, I'll get it directly in my email inbox. Woohoo!

Part 56

Since we were already in the MDR we went ahead and decided on an early lunch. This was the only time I ate lunch in the MDR and it was quite nice.

I am pretty sure this was a shrimp burger and it was yummy!

21644633281_4a79654ded.jpg

I finished off with the caramel custard. I could have licked the plate clean on this one.

21201827011_044f0e01f1.jpg

I then headed up to the pool deck for some cold beverages and some “Mr. Sexy Legs” contest. I know that the Seabourn snooties would be aghast. It was less than 30 minutes long and lots of people were laughing and crowding so it was definitely a popular event.

21005977248_c760627247.jpg

20572758193_a81569a6e4.jpg

21183559732_4567405eed.jpg

Again there was an outdoor buffet set up on the pool deck which helped ease congestion in the other dining venues. Today the big kettle drum had a seafood pasta. This was probably least appealing outdoor buffet option of the trip. I didn’t taste it so I can’t comment.

21447837278_54b3ee19a1.jpg

Part 57

Tonight’s dinner was at Le Bistro. This ended up being my favorite restaurant on the ship.

I started with the French onion soup.

21624839382_d1b39de75c.jpg

Next up was the 4 cornets. I am sad to learn that this dish has been discontinued and will not be offered when the new menus are rolled out. This is a sad discovery as they were expertly prepared.

21005936588_1e6199ac13.jpg

I wasn’t interested in a big main course so I ordered the mussels. Unfortunately they were overpowered by the licorice flavor. They offered to bring me something else, but I had plenty to eat and declined the offer. Besides, that just means more room for dessert!

20571168844_4c88d42961.jpg

Since we had taken the kitchen tour earlier in the day we knew it was chocolate night and I had snapped a picture of the desserts. We asked if we could be served one of the MDR desserts in Le Bistro. They happily complied.

21603472826_4bc2c37665.jpg

21610095856_644a77163f.jpg

21610095646_de9b8bdeac.jpg

Friends who booked thru the ship had problems. In Toulon the tour to the museum was cancelled because the museum is closed that day. As the stop was always on a Tuesday you would think the ship would know not to offer that excursion.

Another friend had a tour cancelled (Rome- outskirts) because of insufficient sign-ups. Hard to make adjustments the last minute. They should have arranged for a small van and honored this excursion.

As such you can not considered the ship excursions as being guaranteed, unless you take the main ones.

Enjoying your review! We sail on the Spirit in early December. Can you tell me about the electrical outlets in your balcony...how many, what current?

TIA

The one US did not require any type of power converter. Since we had a bunch of electronics I had one of these that worked perfectly for charging all the electronics. This is very portable and easy to pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-Strip-USB/dp/B0018MEBNG

if you have several items to charge, a small plug strip does the trick.

The one US did not require any type of power converter. Since we had a bunch of electronics I had one of these that worked perfectly for charging all the electronics. This is very portable and easy to pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-Strip-USB/dp/B0018MEBNG

Thanks everyone for the quick answers :)

No need to pay that much. Get one in hardware store, with 3 ft cord for less than $5. I also bring adapter plugs to use strip in hotel outlet.
If this is a once a year inconvenience then bring a cheapie from the hardware store, but if you are a road warrior consultant who wants to pack efficiently and every little bit of space in your laptop bag matter then invest in this little gem. On several occasions I have been stuck at airport and all the wall jacks were taken and I was able to pull out my little travel adapter and sneak in for a share of the electricity.

My cheaply worked great on a trek in the Himilayias, and on Amazon excursion.

It isn't a matter of whether the $3 version of $30 version works. They both expand a single plug to a multi plug. My priority is space and weight and don't want to lug around a bulky plug when I can pop something in my bag that is the size of a candy bar that covers the process. I have spent lots of money on plenty of items that make minimal space and light weight a priority verses dollars saved.

It isn't a matter of whether the $3 version of $30 version works. They both expand a single plug to a multi plug. My priority is space and weight and don't want to lug around a bulky plug when I can pop something in my bag that is the size of a candy bar that covers the process. I have spent lots of money on plenty of items that make minimal space and light weight a priority verses dollars saved.

The device you linked to is priced at $80. That's quite a bit of change for a couple extra outlets. For $30 I might consider it.

Here you go. 30 dollars. Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6.xqwbV2DNE75

(Same thing mostly, the 70 dollar one was a prior version with a USB port instead of an outlet).

I have had the one with a USB port for 5+ years. It really is handy, though 5 years later I wish it had more USB ports. I also travel around with an anker 4 USB port travel adapter and probably think it is more useful these days and smaller to boot.

Anker 36W 4-Port USB Wall Charger Travel Adapter with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6s / 6 / 6 plus, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge / Edge+, Note 5, Nexus, HTC M9, Motorola, LG and More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L40YJ8O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_mfyqwbDH53WK6

Edited by Vortech

nolatravelgirl,

I'm really enjoying your review. My wife and I have been contemplating this cruise for next year.

since you are talking about electronics and plugs, I was looking at this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-International-Converter-Interchangeable-Worldwide/dp/B00MSTG93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447273420&sr=8-1&keywords=bestek+portable+6a+max+travel+adapter+%26+power+converter+voltage+220v+to+110v&pebp=1447273545501&perid=0QT2AKSJVEN6ZTN2M79H

Just curious, would something like this be handy to have for outlets and currents in Europe or are standard US 110V plugs readily available? Just curious

Thanks

nolatravelgirl,

I'm really enjoying your review. My wife and I have been contemplating this cruise for next year.

since you are talking about electronics and plugs, I was looking at this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-International-Converter-Interchangeable-Worldwide/dp/B00MSTG93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447273420&sr=8-1&keywords=bestek+portable+6a+max+travel+adapter+%26+power+converter+voltage+220v+to+110v&pebp=1447273545501&perid=0QT2AKSJVEN6ZTN2M79H

Just curious, would something like this be handy to have for outlets and currents in Europe or are standard US 110V plugs readily available? Just curious

Thanks

US 110 volt plugs does not excist in Europe. You need an adapter (which you can buy in Europe if you forgot to bring one)

US 110 volt plugs does not excist in Europe. You need an adapter (which you can buy in Europe if you forgot to bring one)

Many times at US based hotel chains there will frequently be a US 110V plug in the room. However, I would not count on it and would always recommend bringing a converter and adapter.

Many times at US based hotel chains there will frequently be a US 110V plug in the room. However, I would not count on it and would always recommend bringing a converter and adapter.

I've only found 1 plug US110 in bathroom only (US based hotel chains). Some hotels have "loaner" converters/adapters.