SDP - Extra Service Charge?

marelind

I am not familiar with the SDP which was added since we cruised in May. The NCL website says: "18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added at time of purchase." What is the specialty service charge? Is that for venues like The Supper Club or Ocean Blue? Or is that for all venues and added on top of the 18% gratuity?

My understand is that the 18% is a gratuity and special service charge. As in, it's one single thing.

It might make more sense if it read "18% Gratuity/Special Service Charge will be added..." but NCL aren't known for their outstanding communication skills.

It is the 18% auto-gratuity. They are calling it service charge to make it look like it wasn't adjustable like gratuities normally are.

Or using the terminology 'service charge' lets them determine what portion of the 18% actually makes it to the wait staff.

Rochelle

You people and your stupid abbreviations. Why can't you spell it out so dummies like me know what you are talking about? What Is SDP? I could interpret it to be Some Dump Post!!

Edited by egh170

You people and your stupid abbreviations. Why can't you spell it out so dummies like me know what you are talking about? What Is SDP?

SDP=specialty dining plan Which replaced the UDP=unlimited dining plan, or maybe it was ultimate. There have been 3 changes to the dining plans since April so many people are confused.

You people and your stupid abbreviations. Why can't you spell it out so dummies like me know what you are talking about? What Is SDP? I could interpret it to be Some Dump Post!!

Here is a link to a thread about abbreviations taken from the Celebrity boards. It is not an all-inclusive list nor specific to Norwegian but it certainly covers the major ones used throughout Cruise Critic and often the internet in general.

Commonly Used Acronyms on Cruise Critic

Hopefully this helps to make sense of it all.

Rochelle