Anyone Heard?????

TexJan's Hubby

Gov Perry has asked that folks in the NW quadrant of Houston begin returning today, followed tomorrow by residents from the SW quadrant and then the remainder of the population.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the way the local, state and federal governments have handled hurricane Rita issues. I'm also bursting with pride over the way the folks in East Texas have opened their hearts to evacuees, first to those from Katrina and then to those escaping Rita.

According to Carnival, Conquest is returning to Galveston on Tuesday instead of today and the next sailing has been reduced to a 5 day cruise. I assume from that point on their schedule will return to normal.

If you go to ABC13.COM & click on traffic, to the right side you will see Houston Jam Cams. Click on the arrow & choose a specific location to see what the traffic is at that location. Right now all the highways look great.

Eileen

We live in Katy Tx and we went up to Lewisville, TX for the weekend, which is north of and between Fort Worth and Dallas. We came home today, Sunday. We left our cousins' house at about 9:30 and we were home by 4 p.m. and we even stopped for breakfast and a potty stop. We went mainly back roads -- Tx 36 and 77 to 290. We ran into a few slow spots, but for the most part we made pretty good time.

I am so glad we were the first area to get to come home. We had a great time visiting with family up in Dallas, but I was SO ready to come home. I LOVE to travel, but this time I was not happy at all. I just felt like there was so much at home I left undone and I was worried about my house -- until I found out that Rita would be going NOWHERE near where we lived. We got less than a half inch of rain.

I would say if you stick to back roads, you will have no problem getting down here. Of course, once you get towards Galveston, you have no choice but to take 45, so that might slow you down somewhat. Good Luck and I hope your cruise goes smooth!

I live off of 71 which is a way from Austin to Houston. Yesterday traffic was really bad. Today it was heavier than normal for a Sunday but not bad at all. So I think that people are waiting and using the staggered return so it will give the gas stations and grocery stores time to restock. The stores here have gotten more food in but today there was still no bread in the store I went to. Have they opened the bridge into Galveston yet? The last I heard they were stopping people from going over the bridge. They said that 75% of the island was still without power and there is very limited emergency response available. That was late last night and I haven't heard the most recent news.

I saw the info under this link... http://www.galveston.com/rita/release.pdf but I'm not familiar with the area. It sounds like things are beginning to return to a more normal condition. But I am not certain because I'm not very familiar with the area. The Tx DOTD website doesn't seem to list any closures on I-10 either, but is that kept up to date?

It looks like I-10 goes through the Port Charles and Beaumont areas. From what I've heard, some of those areas they won't be letting people back in for a month or more. I would not rely on being able to drive I-10 from Lafayette to Houston.

Only suggestion I would make is to go up to Shreveport and take I-20 over to Dallas and take I-45. You might be able to take 59 but that is farther east than I-45 and is likely to take you through damaged areas.

Good to see your post. Glad all is well. We're also on Conquest on Tuesday and thinking of coming through your backyard. We come down 6 to 290, but was considering cutting down to Katy and then over to 6 again to Galveston in lieu of I-45. Have you used 6 through Alvin to get to Galveston?

Using our credit from Sensation. How ya like married life?

TexJan--there are blogs on the Houston Chronicle website with traffic info and gas locations.

http://www.chron.com/

Snoozeman -- If you are coming down 290, you will take the Katy-Hockley exit off of 290 and head south for about 15 minutes, and then you will pass RIGHT by my house. Honk when you pass by Heritage Park neighborhood! There is no damage in our area at all, so it would be smooth sailing. We just drove this road yesterday and had no problems except for the old man driving 30 with his right turn blinker on the whole time.

Normally when traveling to Galveston, if you want the scenic route, 6 is a good bet. However, if you just want to get there, you would want the freeway. But given our current situation, the freeway might give you some headaches. I have not heard of any damage south of I-10 between here and Galveston. I believe they were telling their residents they could come back at any time. So if there were downed trees on that road, I am sure they would be cleaned up by Tuesday. We have traveled 6 through Alvin and such many times to get to Galveston. Better watch your speed through the small towns -- they are itchin to get you!

Married life is fun -- can't wait for the honeymoon!! We leave in exactly one week on the Elation. Sorry we missed you on the Sensation. I guess we will just have to book another cruise to get to meet you . . . :D

Enjoy your trip!

SLL...Where will he be coming from?

He will be coming from Northwest Arkansas. He will go through some of Oklahoma into Dallas then onto I-45 to Houston. I'm really nervous about him traveling back. Hopefully I-45 will not be as bad as it was getting out last week.

It looks like I-10 goes through the Port Charles and Beaumont areas. From what I've heard, some of those areas they won't be letting people back in for a month or more. I would not rely on being able to drive I-10 from Lafayette to Houston.

Only suggestion I would make is to go up to Shreveport and take I-20 over to Dallas and take I-45. You might be able to take 59 but that is farther east than I-45 and is likely to take you through damaged areas.

Hey Wrona...Me thinks you have been watchin to much General Hospital (port Charles) :D

Archived