Snorkel Belize, Cozumel, Roatan

gypsyware

We're taking a cruise next month on Norwegian Sun to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. On previous cruises we've taken excursions, as well as rented cars in port and went off on our own for the day. The best snorkeling we've encountered was on our own, right off shore. The excursions seemed to focus mostly on the boat ride, beaches, and attracting pretty fish by throwing food in the water, but we did not see much in the way of reefs, corals, sea fans, urchins, and so forth.

We've heard that Belize and Cozumel have world class snorkeling, and we'd really like to experience it. We're not much into laying on the beach or shopping, our focus is on snorkeling. We'd like to experience the colorful reefs, fans, corals, fish, and so forth. The excursions we've taken in the past seemed to be like cattle drives, with a very short snorkel time, usually 45 mins or so. We really want to spend a lot more time snorkeling. Preferably on our own, but the message boards suggest that you cannot do it on your own in Belize. We've done it on our own in Cozumel, but not sure if we found the best there is.

We have our own snorkel gear and are ready to go.

Any suggestions?

Just to share:

I know I've heard Belize has some of the most beautiful snorkeling . . . but it is off of the islands, not the main town where you tender in. This means it takes money to get a boat to the islands, even if you're not going to snorkel off of a boat. The town itself did not seem to be the place to go swimming from at all.

Could be wrong, but this was my impression.

However, I would HIGHLY suggest the cave tubing expedition. It was AMAZING!

We're taking a cruise next month on Norwegian Sun to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

Any suggestions?

Which date are you going on? We are on the Oct 23rd sailing.

In Roatan, take the Taybana Beach party. Excellant snorkeling there.

Cozumel, sometimes you can catch a dive boat going out that will let you tag along.

In Belize, you pretty much have to take a boat out to get to the good reefs. The Catamaran/Snorkeling is okay but like you said only 45 minutes in the water. However if you like rum punch, you will enjoy the return trip.

Dave

:D Just got back from a cruise on the Victory last week. Used Eagle Ray for snorkeling tour in Cozumel & it was fantastic! There were 3 of us and 1 guide who stayed with us the whole time and made sure we saw all there was to see. Great people to deal with....highly recommend them. Cost was about $55 for 3 1/2 to 4 hours of fun!:D

Book the Taybana Beach party. It's the best - beach is great and snorkeling is wonderful. Best I think in the area. They dropped the divers off just 20 ft from where we were snorkeling.

Unbelieve reaf there. They say it is the best snorkeling and diving accept for the Great Barrier reef.

We've heard that Belize and Cozumel have world class snorkeling, and we'd really like to experience it. We're not much into laying on the beach or shopping, our focus is on snorkeling. We'd like to experience the colorful reefs, fans, corals, fish, and so forth. The excursions we've taken in the past seemed to be like cattle drives, with a very short snorkel time, usually 45 mins or so. We really want to spend a lot more time snorkeling. Preferably on our own, but the message boards suggest that you cannot do it on your own in Belize. We've done it on our own in Cozumel, but not sure if we found the best there is.

We have our own snorkel gear and are ready to go.

Any suggestions?

We snorkeled Belize in March of this year. We took a ship sponsored (Grand Princess) snorkel trip. As usual, it was a large catamaran, but it was a four hour trip at Rendezvous Cay. The boat anchored just off the island. There is an excellent reef surrounding the island w/lots of fish varieties. The reef is so extensive that there was no crowding. The boat anchors near enough to the island that you can literally walk through the shallows to the beach. I don't remember the exact timing, but we were anchored for @ 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The tour was titled "Catamaran Snorkel Rendevous Cay".

It's been six years since I snorkeled w/NCL, but their snorkel/diving trips were superior to any other major cruise line. I agree that independent operators have less crowded conditions, but we had a marvelous onboard NCL dive team that gave sea life lectures and accompanied the ship's snorkel and dive excursions.

Here's a good photo of Rendezvous Cay:

http://www.moonrise.ws/Pictures/index.cgi?item=LandSea/C4Rendez/Data

I too am going to those ports plus Grand Cayman. I strictly go for the snorkeling. Ive been snorkeling for over 35 years and have been to some of the best reefs. In fact, I was in Grand Cayman when they first opened tourism in the early 70's. No cruise ships at that time and only 1 flight every other day. It was pristine! They didnt have TV only radio. Only 1 hotel, tons of banks and a massive mosquitoe problem. Anyway, the snorkeling back then was awesome to say the least and you could see conchs and stinrays everywhere on the ocean floor right off seven mile beach.

This is the first time Im going to these ports so I am very excited. I have taken some of the cruise excursions. Most of them are for beginners. Im a decent swimmer. I tend to spend hours in the water observing and swimming around. Im always on the lookout for a good tour operator that will accomodate advanced snorkeling. Prolly will need a dive operator that takes snorkelers. I have been tricked a couple of times and I got the "no reefs" throw some food in the water to attract fish tour. Bait & switch, lol. I dont drink so the party boat doesnt matter to me. Bring on the hard core snorkeling!

I will check out those links posted above..Any more info will be greatly appreciated.

The one place I really want to go to is the Blue Hole offshore of Belize. Ill have to come back for that one Im sure.

I too am going to those ports plus Grand Cayman. I strictly go for the snorkeling. Ive been snorkeling for over 35 years and have been to some of the best reefs. In fact, I was in Grand Cayman when they first opened tourism in the early 70's. No cruise ships at that time and only 1 flight every other day. It was pristine! They didnt have TV only radio. Only 1 hotel, tons of banks and a massive mosquitoe problem. Anyway, the snorkeling back then was awesome to say the least and you could see conchs and stinrays everywhere on the ocean floor right off seven mile beach.

This is the first time Im going to these ports so I am very excited. I have taken some of the cruise excursions. Most of them are for beginners. Im a decent swimmer. I tend to spend hours in the water observing and swimming around. Im always on the lookout for a good tour operator that will accomodate advanced snorkeling. Prolly will need a dive operator that takes snorkelers. I have been tricked a couple of times and I got the "no reefs" throw some food in the water to attract fish tour. Bait & switch, lol. I dont drink so the party boat doesnt matter to me. Bring on the hard core snorkeling!

I will check out those links posted above..Any more info will be greatly appreciated.

The one place I really want to go to is the Blue Hole offshore of Belize. Ill have to come back for that one Im sure.

Capt Marvin's is a good choice in Grand Cayman - the 1/2 day trip includes two reefs (coral and Barrier) and a stop at Stingray City.

There's still good shore snorkeling at Eden's Rock, less than ten minutes from the tender docks. You could do both Capt Marvin's and Eden's Rock if your cruise ship's schedules allows.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

I'll second the recommendation for Tabyana Beach at Roatan. Good shore snorkeling with a wall about forty yards out.

I'll also recommend Eagle Ray Divers at Coz. Be sure to take the three reef stop! Their two reef is just off Dzul Ha Beach and doesn't go out to the larger reefs - Columbia and Palancar.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

We just got off the Valor on the Oct 2 cruise.

We enjoyed snorkeling immensely at Tabayana Beach in Roatan. Tons of beautiful fish EVERYWHERE!

We loved the Stingray City Snorkling Tour in Grand Cayman. Simply amazing!

We snorkelied in Belize. Not very memorable as not many fish to see. Must have been at the wrong place.

Cozumel. You must go to Chankanaab. Period.

And buy and take plenty of underwater cameras to all these snorkeling sites.

The fish in Cozumel were inches from my face and I got amazing pictures!!!

• 1 month later...

Some dive shops in Cozumel take snorkelers. We knew coming off the ship we would have a better chance getting a dive boat if there were more than 2 people so we convinced another couple who wanted to snorkel to come with us. On the RCL dock (used to be) is Dive with Martin and they took all of us and dropped the divers first with dive master, went to another location with the snorkelers and came back for divers. They said it was an excellent snorkel. Try the dive operators - most will take snorkelers. Debbie

Archived