Too Close for Comfort Flight?

junglecat

Hi

I always fly two or more days before a cruise. In January we get snow (Massachusetts) I wonder how many people missed cruises last year.

Planes fly in from different parts of the country. lets say you are in Detriot. You flight is going to Miami but that flight is coming from St Louis where it is snowing. The sun is out in Detriot. But that flight in St Louis is stuck and not going anywhere. You stuck.

or that plane has a problem in St Louis. They do not have spare planes. I am happy being at my destination.

Somes airports do not open for days

its a risk I will not take for a few hundred dollars

MAry

My wife and I flew into Fort Lauderdale on the day of our cruise for our honeymoon. The flight was supposed to arrive at 11:30am, but we were delayed about an hour. We still made it with plenty of time to the boat. Our flight home was delayed about 5 hours though, so thank goodness it happened on departure.

So, I went through the same thing you are going through. Here is the beauty of going out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale(or atleast what I told myself haha)... There are two MAJOR airports within an hour of each other. So if for some reason your flight is severely delayed or canceled, you have an option of flying into the other airport and booking it over to the ship. Its not alot of insurance, but atleast its better than the other options.

Ok, CC family, I need your input. What are your thoughts on a Non-stop flight out of Indy on the day OF our cruise arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:30 on January 17th. We will be cruising out of Miami. If anyone knows Indiana weather knows January is unpredictable. If no hiccups I think we would be fine, but. . . . . . What are your thoughts? Thanks to all.

DONT DO IT!! We live in Indiana also and a few years ago we had a flight the day BEFORE our cruise flying from Indy to Miami in Dec. The weather was 0K in In but the flights coming in from Atlanta were so backed up because of storms in other places we didnt arrive until 11pm that night. Also, ALWAYS buy cruise insurance

I am flying in for the Ecstasy in November, we see flying in the same day, 515 departure, 845 arrival, direct flight from Indianapolis to Fort Lauderdale. That's about the earliest we could leave, so even with a very long delay we should be able to make departure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While everyone is going to talk about the flight delays, I would like to touch on Miami traffic. Depending on which day you would fly in, traffic in Miami on I-95 can be horrendous throughout the day. Arriving at 12:30 in Fort Lauderdale means you will be off the plane and have your luggage around 1-ish. Normal traffic would take you a minimum of 1/2 hour to get to the port. If there are any traffic delays, it can take upwards of 2 hours. Any accident, construction, lane closure, etc., and you are pushing it close. Way too close.

I flew from Indy to San Juan one year for a cruise, same day. But they leave at like 10pm from there. I imagine most of the regular shuttle services use the Sunpass for the express lanes don't they? But even an 845 airport arrival can be close depending on the traffic, etc. Southwest lets you change your booking even if you use their "Wanna Get Away" fare.

Edited by jplemt

I am flying in for the Ecstasy in November, we see flying in the same day, 515 departure, 845 arrival, direct flight from Indianapolis to Fort Lauderdale. That's about the earliest we could leave, so even with a very long delay we should be able to make departure.

Much better chance of no drastic snow storms/blizzards influence your flight as it's in November rather than the OP's mid-January :)

The problem with snow delays is that crews and or equipment doesn't make it to their destinations - the destination that the plane's next flight was scheduled to leave from. Add to that - once some flights will take off - only unsold seats are available to those who's flights were cancelled on a first come first served basis. :rolleyes:

On our first cruise we flew from Chicago to Miami the day of the flight. It was summer so we did not think it would be a problem. Two days before the cruise we got an email from American Airlines saying the time of the flight had changed. We were supposed to get in at 10:00 am, but they changed it to 10:55. We still thought it would not be a problem. Until we got to the airport and found out that it was delayed because the flight crew had timed out, and they had to wait for a new crew. We ended up landing in Miami close to 2:40 and nearly killed ourselves getting to the cruise port on time. It was extremely stressful and we swore NEVER AGAIN would we fly in the same day. You just never know. We made it, but just barely.

Ok, CC family, I need your input. What are your thoughts on a Non-stop flight out of Indy on the day OF our cruise arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:30 on January 17th. We will be cruising out of Miami. If anyone knows Indiana weather knows January is unpredictable. If no hiccups I think we would be fine, but. . . . . . What are your thoughts? Thanks to all.

Dear god, Dont do it! lol I Live in Camby, Just outside of Indy by the airport. I would never fly out the day of. WE always cruise in Jan and Feb and it always seems the day of cruise there is a snow storm.... But we are safe because we left a day earlier! Happy cruise!!!