Biking Tours Down Haleakala in Maui

karfest

I would REALLY like to do a sunrise bike tour down the volcano at Haleakala but there are many different companies out there. Has anyone done this and what company would you recommend?

Do I want guided or not guided? Will they pick us up at the port? If we have a rental car, will it take long to drive to the starting point? (the shops that supply us with the bikes)

Am I crazy to go on a bike tour that leaves at 3am???

Thanks for any help you can give me.

We're doing one through the ship and we leave later. Just remember you are not guaranteed to see sunrise. Two of my friends have done it recently, and both didn't see sunrise. I mean they had a blast and it was an awesome excursion, but... no sunrise and having to deal with losing z's. I love my z's.

Have fun! :D

If you do a ride from the summit, you have to do a guided tour, because the National Park Service requires all groups inside the park to be guided. If you want unguided, you start a couple thousand feet lower outside the park boundry. That's what we did through Maui Sunriders.

http://www.mauibikeride.com/options.html

I like the unguided tour, because I like to go at my own pace in peace and quiet, and I quickly descend down to a comfortable temperature. The summit tours will just about freeze you when you factor in the wind chill of riding.

We used Mountain Riders when we were there in 2002. Did the sunrise and it was well worth getting up at 1 AM. We were on a land tour & they picked us up at our condo in Kihea. Don't know how it works off a cruise though.

They do offer the guided sunrise tour along with an unguided tour and both are listed on their website: www.bikingmaui.com/

It is chilly at the summit.....we were there in late Sept. & it was around 35 degrees. Dress in layers because it will be mid 80's by the time you reach the ocean.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Thanks for the info and the links! It will be tough to narrow this down.

With so many operators offering these tours- is it crowded? It seems like everyone starts in the visitors center at the same time.

I'm not too concerned about getting up early because my inner clock is set for central time so I'll be 5 hours ahead! Also, high temps at "home" in January will be about ZERO so 35 is shorts and t-shirt weather for us:D

Any more input would be appreciated!

Karen....Yes there are quite a few operators, but there is enough area at the summit that it doesn't get too crowded. The groups are spaced out pretty well as they depart and they all have their areas where they pull off for photo ops. If you do the sunrise, you'll get there about 30 - 45 minutes before sunrise so you'll have time to get your gear together without rushing. After the sunrise, they have practice on the bikes (they are kind of like the California Cruisers, big saddle, good brakes & wide bars) since a large number of folks haven't been on bikes in a while:D The pace was very good, they gave you a chance to get some speed if you wanted and times for just coasting and some sightseeing(not too much while your on the bike because you will go where your looking.

There are a few pictures of the sunrise in our homepage link.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we just did the bike excursion thru NCL. The company was Muai Downhill. We didnt do sunrise because we werent there but I would go if we had been. Like you we live in a cold climate 35 is warm. However we did wear wind suits, helmets and ski gloves the wind coming down makes it colder. It was an adventure I will never forget. We did do the group thing. I would like to go back some day and do it ourselves at our pace. But for a first time it was fantastic.:)

Archived