Question about Tulum Mayan Ruins

DavidJT

Anyone ever do this excursion? I am going to Cozumel in February with my folks and nephews and we are thinking of trying this one. Any information about it would be greatly appreciated. I read in my tickets that the tour does not end at the ship, anyone have any trouble getting back? What happens if the tour runs late? Thanks all.

Anyone ever do this excursion? I am going to Cozumel in February with my folks and nephews and we are thinking of trying this one. Any information about it would be greatly appreciated. I read in my tickets that the tour does not end at the ship, anyone have any trouble getting back? What happens if the tour runs late? Thanks all.

We went to Tulum from a Carnival ship. You have to tender to the mainland, walk to the buses, then take a long bus ride to the ruins. And, of course, do the reverse coming back. It's worth the trip if you like Mayan ruins....it's beautiful there.

Since I don't know which ship you're going on, I can't answer about the tour not ending at the ship. I would imagine that if your doing a ship sponsored tour, the ship would wait if you are late coming back.

Definitely worth every penny! Unless you have Mayan ruins at home. Tulum is the only Mayan ruins at the ocean. Unless you plan on returning to the Yucatan anytime soon, they are sooo worth doing! The ferry ride may make some queasy, it is a jet engine driven ship...just stay on the lowest deck! They just about run you to the buses, so it's not for the faint of heart! The bus ride didn't seem that long to me...about 45min to 1hour. And it was on an air conditioned bus(I would make sure your's is before you book!). The ruins themselves are awesome, and you are allowed to go swimming there! You can't rinse off though...but do it, do it, do it! I enjoyed it to the max, even tho I fell on the beach over a hidden rock & scraped my whole knee, then fought with my hubby about it...LOL :D

I thoroughly enjoyed Tulum. If you are going to see other ruins on your cruise, it will make a wonderful contrast since Tulum's setting is unique.

Remember that you have to tender to the mainland and then walk to the coach to start your tour. After our tour, we walked back to the dock, took the tender back to the island, and then our guide put us in prepaid taxis back to the ship's dock. If you were not ready to return to the ship and wanted to stay to shop and explore, you were on your own to make it back to the ship. There are several docks, and you need to note where your ship is in relation to town if you are going to make it back on your own.

Have a great cruise.

We did the Tulum ruins last April and LOVED it. The setting was so unique, and I really can't gush enough about how amazing it all was.

We did our tour through Carnival, and were on the Victory. It was a long tour because of the bus and ferry transfer, so we didn't want to chance it with a private tour operator. Our guide, Antonio was great.

If you're wondering what they look like, I have photos of the ruins online at: http://cruise2004.fotopic.net/c174827.html

Have a great time on your cruise.

This tour is amazing. My advice, though, is to take this tour with the ship. It is a long trek to the ruins, but is definatley worth it if you really like ruins and learning about ancient civilizations.

DH and I took this tour through RCCL back in July (yes, it was very hot!) and even though it was a long ride there, it did not feel it. We stopped at a shop on the way and were able to buy some souvenirs and then ate lunch before getting to the ruins. It is unbelievable.

On our tour, we were brought back to downtown and was told that there would be taxis lined up ready to take us back to the ship when we were ready. We had 2 hours to shop around Cozumel before heading back to our ship.

I sailed on the Valor 9/18-9/25 and booked the excursion through carnival.

I walked off the ship that was docked along side the Conquest. Walked maybe 100 yards to the ferry that was there. The ferry was interesting it's large... air conditioned and looks like an airplane inside. Was very comfy and the seas were not rough the ferry ride is 20 minutes but goes by quickly....

The tour guides were waiting for us as we disembarked from the ferry and lined us up in groups to walk to the bus. The walk was pleasant a couple blocks through playa del carmen (so you got to check out the ocean side shops as you walked 5 min walked).

The buses were large -- nicer than greyhound don't know what to compare it to. A/C some had tv's -- and our tour guide handed out a bag of snacks.

The bus ride was 45 minutes which included a pit stop for restrooms...

Bring along your swimwear -- once at Tulum you will be doing alot of exploration in the heat. You should have about 30 to 40 minutes to swim at the beach at the ruins. It's an awesome site and awesome beach. The water was clear and had some fish.... beautiful view! must do!

I was back to the ship by 6:30 in time to change and head out to party in cozumel (our ship departed at 11pm)...

Tulum is magnificent especially being the only Maya ruins to be built over the caribbean. Take a swim there too! There is a public bathroom just outside of the ruin site to wash off. Take towels with you from the ship.

Here are a few shots I took at Tulum this past August. The small thumbnails don't do the images justice.

Photocruiser

Tulum.jpg.161327ec4fb9f7877c5430df176b567e.jpg

Tulum2.jpg.ce3a8dd5d4f9502078506e429e8d9bd8.jpg

Tulum3.jpg.aaac058c3ab97a27739aa49dc6ab5ff6.jpg

Archived