needle disposal

PTAngel

I am sailing in November 2015. I take 1 injection a week of Tanzeum (for diabetes). I can't see asking for a sharp's container for 1 needle so can I just take it down to medical after injection to dispose? I don't need it refrigerated as it's good for 30 days at room temperature.

Edited by PTAngel

I purchased a travel size sharps container on amazon. I take it with me on trips and then when I get home I empty it into my larger container so it is ready to go for the next trip.

I do not like the containers the steward provide.

it is a small red box with a long slit and I found my needles kept falling out.

so I would deposit used needles in the bathroom sharp boxes.

I'd ask the room steward for a small sharps box. It is very small in size and the one I saw was not as referenced above.

What do you do with your sharps at home? You might want to get a needle clipper, which costs about $5.-ish at Walgreens and other drug stores, It is about the size of four or five sticks of gum stacked up. You insert the needle in the side, press, and the needle goes into a closed storage area. You can then safely throw the syringe away. You could also carry this easily on trips and vacations. It holds about 500 needles, so it would be a lifetime usage for you.

M.

I use a insulin pen- so my needles are pretty small and have a plastic

cap over it when I am done. the diabetic educator said to just use a heavy

plastic container like a laundry soap container to put the needles in. when

it is filled they suggest taping it shut and putting it in the trash. I will not

do that. when the time comes I will call the trash dude and ask them what

they want me to do with the container.

Our trash/recycling company is Republic Services. Putting your sharps in a laundry detergent bottle, then sealing with duct tape when full and putting it in the trash is exactly what they suggest. I looked it up on their website. If it doesn't say on your company's website, then call the trash company. They are much more likely to know than the guy who drives the truck.

M.

I use a insulin pen- so my needles are pretty small and have a plastic

cap over it when I am done. the diabetic educator said to just use a heavy

plastic container like a laundry soap container to put the needles in. when

it is filled they suggest taping it shut and putting it in the trash. I will not

do that. when the time comes I will call the trash dude and ask them what

they want me to do with the container.

The syringe is huge (7 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch) which is why I asked about taking it to Medical. My doctor suggested just taking off the needle & disposing of that in a sharps container but I couldn't get it off. Thanks for telling me about the needle clipper, I never heard of that. I will look for that tomorrow. As you could tell, I'm new at this.

Hi,

You will most probably find that the needle on Tanzeum is thicker than most Insulin needles so the BD Safe Clip might not be able to cut the needle off.

The needle on Tanzeum should be able to be unscrewed once you put the safety cover back on. Disposal of this should be in a sharps container, The cabin steward will be able to supply one to you.

Please remember that the needle is a bio-hazard and sharps hazard and disposal in the normal rubbish is foolish and a disregard for the safety of others.

I cannot believe that people are disposing of their needles by putting them in normal rubbish, what would happen if a taped up bottle containing dozens of used needles fell out of the bin and a small inquisitive child found it and decided to play with it. The mind boggles. Sharps and Bio-hazards should be incinerated by the correct method.

Pete

Thanks, everyone, for your input. You gave me plenty of information to research more on. I will have to try to unscrew the needle on my Tanzeum syringe. Also, I'll need to check on that needle clipper. I didn't get a chance today. I would NEVER think of disposing of needles in the trash.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. You gave me plenty of information to research more on. I will have to try to unscrew the needle on my Tanzeum syringe. Also, I'll need to check on that needle clipper. I didn't get a chance today. I would NEVER think of disposing of needles in the trash.

I tried to unscrew the needle in my Tanzeum syringe & it worked. Thanks for the information. I didn't think about unscrewing because I just pushed it on as per directions. That makes my life much easier.

I tried to unscrew the needle in my Tanzeum syringe & it worked. Thanks for the information. I didn't think about unscrewing because I just pushed it on as per directions. That makes my life much easier.

Hi,

I am pleased this worked for you, disposal of the syringe shouldn't be any problem as there isn't any sharp or bio-hazard and it can just be thrown in the bin. I would ask the cabin attendant for a sharps box, even if it is for only one needle.

I am aware that some cruise lines recycle their waste which involves an amount of human intervention so putting a needle in the bin can be dangerous. By the way my comment wasn't aimed at you.

Pete

Another thought on disposing a single needle...

When I go out to eat, or even when I give myself a shot at dinner onboard (I do it under the table), I keep a small tylenol bottle (the kind with the flip top which holds 12 pills) with my syringe. I then remove cap my needle, unscrew it and place it in the small bottle until I can get to a sharps container. You could always do this and take the needle home with you in this fashion, too.

M/