FOD FOB LRHS Enlighten me please

rula40

I have had a number of cruises/crossings over the last 6-7 years and only recently have I been made aware of the various groups of people who meet with each other whilst onboard.

I am referring to “Friends of Dorothy” “Friends of Bill” and “The Ladies Red Hat” group.

I have been reading some of the more recent threads and reference has been made to FOD, but I have not read any references to FOB or LRHS

I think I now know that FOD is a term used by the gay community and has something to do with Dorothy in the “Wizard of Oz” and that Judy Garland was alleged to be an icon to the gay community

FOB I have been informed is for members of “Alcoholics Anonymous”.

Who are the Ladies Red Hat sSociety, I know about the old rumor regarding ladies in red shoes, but I don’t think that has any reference to this particular group

Are there any other groups who meet together on cruises? and if so WHY?

Phil

I think they are groups of ladies of maturing years who, well, wear red hats and meet for lunch etc. It's an American thing. British ladies are of course far to refined for such exhibitionalism.

You are correct about "Dorothy". A group met in the Commodore Club quite often on our crossing, though I don't remember seeing any meetings announced in the daily programme.

There are other groups like Masonic etc and it seems to be up to the cruise director if the are announced in the programme.

David.

Red Hat Society - you can go on line and find hundreds of groups of them around the states. I've heard NON red hatters refer to them as "pacts" rather than "groups" - haha. You'll also find in all the on line date a poem about an aging lady who is going to "one day" dress in purple and wear red hats. The "red hatters" in our area of Florida meet from time to time for lunch. Restaurant staff report them as being cheap to tip (in the States we are big on tipping especially if we tie up a table for hours and have a small bill) and cheap to buy quality items in the shops. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's the general chatter on the red hatters. They are harmless and I have the impression they get together and visit with no specific purpose.

My wife was told that the red hat is a symbol of freedom to wear what one wishes and not be a follower of fashion or worry about co ordination.

I can’t see how that works if you have to wear the red hat and purple outfit type uniform to be a member.

By the way who is the friend of Lois? Is she something to do with Superman? Or just a good friend of Bill’s.

These threads are getting as educational as the Oxford lectures I attended on the QM2, but let’s not go there!

Dorothy and Bill’s meetings were mentioned in the daily programme every day and I do recall on one occasion a Masonic meeting being published.

Does one have to be a member to attend any of these meetings or are they open to anyone? Could I walk in on any one of these meetings with my wife on my arm wearing a blue baseball cap a large brandy in my hand

Archived