A New Trip Report I Found Last Week

wulicny

I read a trip report on another board that was VERY detailed and entertaining.

The images included all of the ship's documentation. daily newsletters, itinerary and excursion info, and the laundry and dry cleaning slips w/prices.

To see the trip report, follow this link.

By the way, this trip report has become my new reference document for ALL things SeaDream. I found it last week, and it is, by far, the best, the most complete, the most feature-packed, and the most elaborate SeaDream trip report I have ever viewed. I encourage everyone on this board to go and take a look.

i thought the trip report was so useful, I am canceling my Wyndam reservation and paying the $800 to stay one night at the Ritz Carlton. Those grounds look like the day after a bachelor party and do need some cleaning, and that thing about wearing a bracelet so you can eat (its an all inclusive property) is not our style. I know my partner Chris. The moment the receptionist put the bracelet on his arm, he will remove it and promptly throw it away. We are not doing that!

On a holiday weekend in Honolulu we could not find a place to eat. We finally rolled into a cheescake factory and they gave us one of those pager devices that go off when your table is ready - about a 45 minute wait. Chris turned to me ad said "Now what do we do with this? " and promptly threw it away. We ordered room service that night.

DisneyJen -

For some reason, I am also in the same boat (so to speak) and the Ritz is the only hotel that will give me a room for one night in March for $699 plus those taxes. They have no availability at the Marriot - although I should call the hotel directly and just ask. It is so amazing - this trip is costing lots of money....mankes me think about Hawaii! I can stay at the best western or Holiday Inn but I know Chris will IMMEDIATELY without saying a word grab a cab to the airport and fly home. We almost did just that when our Celebrity ship arrived in Bermuda a few years ago. The travel agent in Bermuda convinced him to stay on the trip and we did - eating every meal in the room!

Dan ... my idea of roughing it is the Holiday Inn ... and the stories that my dear husband could tell you after 25 years of being together would make your head spin:p

Are you seeing the lack of availability on the Marriott website or are you talking to their 800 reservation number?

Another option it Caneel Bay on St. John. I priced it out for us but the Marriott Morningstar was the most reasonable ... at $300 a night. We stayed at the Morningstar last December before we boarded SD. The other issue with Caneel is that you have to take the ferry over to St. John. Not a huge deal but one can only deal with so muc travel at some point:D

DH and I were talking last night (before he flew out to Detroit of all places for the week!) about having brunch the Sunday we disembark at Caneel. Take a look at Caneel ... as there were some interesting rates and it is a Rosewood property. Bill (wulicny) is staying there after his cruise in December. He also found a B and B for his pre-trip. I am sure he is willing to share info, aren't you Bill:D

SD is an incredible experience ... and I am counting the days at this point;) Actually I may have DH talked into a trans-Atlantic on SD next year ... I will await reports from Frequent Traveler on her trip next month:p

I tried the on line services and they say there is no availability. Marriot owns Ritz Carlton so when I called the 800 number for Marriot, they only had the Ritz available. I may have better luck calling St. Thomas directly. I have had better luck at times calling the hotel directly when the 800 number says no - the property itself seems to magically have more availability. However, you generally have better luck doing this closer to the date of your stay.

I will check into the Caneel Bay - to be honest it is only one night but if I am going to pay $500 a night for what I saw in the video, I think another few hundred isn't going to break me. That Ritz is a wonderful property and exceptionaly clean - real important to us. All I had to see in that video of the Wyndam was a bunch of (I hate to say this ) Fudge people (people that look like they work in fudge shops) wearing blue one peice bathing suits laying on very sagging pool chairs that are obviously stressed to the limit....that was enough for me.

Jen and Dan,

I'm glad you enjoy the website. I liked it so much, I knew I had to share it with this group.

We are staying one night pre-cruise at the Crystal Palace B&B in Charlotte Amalie. We are staying three nights post-cruise at Caneel Bay.

WOW, I thought my wife and I were sticklers for luxury accomodation. Check out the Crystal Palace website to see if you will like it. Make sure you get the room with private bath if you stay there. There aren't really any "luxury" accomodations in Charlotte Amalie, from what I found, at least not what I would consider 4 or 5 star. Even the Marriott has mixed reviews. Perhaps the Wyndham with an upgraded room would work for you.

Archived